Whats up with Mir

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Whats up with Mir
mrliquid
3/12/08 8:47:01PM
Any word on when or who Mir is fighting next I havent seen any news on him lately he looked pretty good in his last fight and he did beat a guy in 90 seconds who Dana White and the UFC boosted up alot has anyone heard anything about his next possible opponent?
bls1919
3/12/08 8:58:56PM
i havent heard anything but i would love to see him fight Herring. I think Mir would Masacre him and then walk into a title fight .......and that would be a great fight
mrliquid
3/12/08 9:03:33PM
Yea Herring would be good but I would like to see him against NOG very badly both great on the ground but I think Frank is more powerful than NOG so I would like to see how the stand up goes between those 2
Pookie
3/12/08 9:05:15PM
If that fight did happen id give it to herring. His Sub defense is good enough that nog in 3 fights only submitted him once.
He also is the better striker with possibly better cardio.
mrliquid
3/12/08 9:24:36PM
he does have very good sub defense and I was worried about Franks cardio but he has looked in better shape alot lately so maybe he is picking it up.
casey64
3/12/08 9:25:55PM

Posted by bls1919

i havent heard anything but i would love to see him fight Herring. I think Mir would Masacre him and then walk into a title fight .......and that would be a great fight

juanez13
3/12/08 9:59:56PM
i actually think Herring would run through Mir, Herring has to much power for Mir standing, and his sub defence is very good, and the way Herring has changed his training, and looks to be in great shape, i say thats all he needs to win this fight, as long as he doesnt gas, i think he can take this fight by Decision or TKO.
kevietre
3/12/08 10:28:51PM

Posted by juanez13

i actually think Herring would run through Mir, Herring has to much power for Mir standing, and his sub defence is very good, and the way Herring has changed his training, and looks to be in great shape, i say thats all he needs to win this fight, as long as he doesnt gas, i think he can take this fight by Decision or TKO.

Lesnar has way more power than Herring so if Frank can survive his punches he should be able to overcome Herrings and eventually catch him on the ground. Kongo isin't in the same league when it comes to Mir and submissions. I think Mir is starting his comeback from the accident. He looked terrible in the Dan Christison, Pe De Pano, and Vera fights but looked like his old self against Hardonk and Brock.
mrliquid
3/12/08 10:32:27PM

Posted by kevietre

Lesnar has way more power than Herring so if Frank can survive his punches he should be able to overcome Herrings and eventually catch him on the ground. Kongo isin't in the same league when it comes to Mir and submissions. I think Mir is starting his comeback from the accident. He looked terrible in the Dan Christison, Pe De Pano, and Vera fights but looked like his old self against Hardonk and Brock.

also before Franks accident he wasnt bad with his stand up so he doesnt just have ground skills only he is pretty well rounded.
juanez13
3/12/08 10:50:16PM

Posted by kevietre

Posted by juanez13

difference is that Brock doesnt have any sub defence, doesnt matter the power lesnar had because the fight ended quickly, comparing Kongo or Lesnar is absurd, herring isnt just going to pound him and than leave himself open like that, he has fought Big Nog 3 times, and all three times he has scaped numerous sub attemps by Nog, throughout all three fights, and even tho he got caught the first , Nog couldnt sub him in the 2nd or thrid, and i know Franks stand up isnt complete Garabage, but it isnt sharp enough to Nulify Herrings power, so if they were standing, i'd say is only a matter of time before before herring hits him with a big punch, and even taking the power away i'd still say herring has the better stand up if he is in shape, which now having his own team, and training with one of the best kickboxer in the world, i'd say he will be for his any of his next fights.
cmill21
3/12/08 11:13:25PM
I could definetly see Heath and Mir fighting. I'm wondering what they'll do with Kongo, because I've heard a rumor of him fighting Hardonk, but IMHO Antoni would massacre Kongo. HW div is log jammed like the LHW div lol.
ufcboss
3/13/08 12:59:43AM
I hope he gets a top 5 oppenent, He survived Lesnar and finished him, Although many said that would happen, It wasnt a easy task by any means.
ThaAxeMurderer7
3/13/08 1:45:26AM
I think putting him in there with Gonzaga makes sense right now. Mir can put himself right in the thick of the title picture with a win and Gabe needs a win about as bad as anybody in that division.
bullettdodger
3/13/08 3:05:47AM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by kevietre

Posted by juanez13

difference is that Brock doesnt have any sub defence, doesnt matter the power lesnar had because the fight ended quickly, comparing Kongo or Lesnar is absurd, herring isnt just going to pound him and than leave himself open like that, he has fought Big Nog 3 times, and all three times he has scaped numerous sub attemps by Nog, throughout all three fights, and even tho he got caught the first , Nog couldnt sub him in the 2nd or thrid, and i know Franks stand up isnt complete Garabage, but it isnt sharp enough to Nulify Herrings power, so if they were standing, i'd say is only a matter of time before before herring hits him with a big punch, and even taking the power away i'd still say herring has the better stand up if he is in shape, which now having his own team, and training with one of the best kickboxer in the world, i'd say he will be for his any of his next fights.

I can't seen any comparison in Herring to Lesner, completely different fights, Lesner's stand up was not very good(lacked technique not power), and we all know how his ground game went... Herring by almost anyway under the sun but submission
CornishMMA
3/13/08 7:31:12AM
Breen made the very good point that the UFC need to use Frank Mir NOW, never again will there be this much interest in the guy, he beat Lesnar and can be marketed with that fact, if he is ever going to be pushed for a title shot it has to be now, BUT the timing isnt great, i like having him fight Herring but im sure the winner of Werdum Vera will get the next shot
saemskin
3/13/08 8:15:20AM
Regardless of how it happens I think the better fight for Mir is Big Nog. Title shot or no I want to see that ground battle. I really want to see this.
Amazing BJJ talents pitted against each other are just as exciting to me as a great standup war. That Frankie Edgar and Tyson Griffon fight a few months ago had me on the edge of my seat the whole time. The sub attempts and defense constantly back and forth......

thumbsup:

man oh man
mrliquid
3/13/08 8:58:39AM
I would love to see a great BJJ fighter against Mir even Werdum would be a nice fight to see hopefully there will be news on his upcoming fight soon.
tepid55
3/13/08 12:59:52PM
I would like to see Mir fight Kongo.