Whats next for James Irvin?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Whats next for James Irvin?
chickmagnet
4/7/08 10:19:45PM
I think this guy is pretty damn good, he is one of the hardest hitters @ 205, and he could be a dangerous guy to face for any body...He was winning his fight with Thiago until the knee injury and he was alsodoin good in the cane fight until he got kneed in the head but he won anyway, he has got some power in both hands and he put Houston AWAY!!! His KOs over Hector and T. Martin were brutal!!

I think he should fight the winner of Sokodjou/Nakamura which i actually think he would win, or he should fight the loser of Jardine/Wandy.
juanez13
4/7/08 10:31:53PM
i think he'd be a good fight for Soko (asuming soko beats Nak).....Granted i'd take Soko in that fight, soko equally skilled on the feet (similar styles) and much better ground game, but if Soko decided to trade, any one punch could put him away....

What about stephan bonnar or Tim Boetsch??? that would be a nice couple of slug fests ... seems like a good choices to me, especially looking at the rest of the division.
wolfman
4/7/08 10:36:06PM
Yes, Irvin is a good fighter and a dangerous fighter. However, if he hasn't improved his ground game I don't see him going too far in the deep LHW division. You are correct that he was doing well against Thiago, yet we obviously didn't get to see much out of either fighters(for obvious reasons). Thiago was taking the fight to the floor and he could have finished it there. Yet, I'd like to see a rematch between them and I'd give Irvin a puncher's chance as always. I would probably pick Thiago to win as I feel he is the more well rounded fighter and has a pretty good chin to boot.

Like you said, Irvin is dangerous and has a good chance against anyone, but he has to improve his ground game if he wants to be more of a threat. He was getting tooled for a little while on the feet by Cane, but he was holding his own. He landed a good punch that had Cane in trouble and I would also like to see a rematch between them as well. One thing to note was that he was taken down in that fight, but he was able to get up before he was met with the knee. Against other stand up fighters not known for their ground game he has a great shot, and if he is able to keep any fight standing he improves his chance of winning. Anyways, he is an exciting fighter to watch and I can't wait to see his next fight!
IriShame
4/7/08 10:36:24PM
I would like to see him against Matt Hamill. Big power doesn't mean shit if you can't stuff the shot. Plus it would be an opportunity for Hamill to improve his standup against a dangerous striker. If Hamill gets KO'd it's back to the drawing board and he will be forced to work harder on his striking, if Irvin wins he shows a deeper skill set that could ultimately net him some fights with big name opponents.
wolfman
4/7/08 10:38:14PM

Posted by juanez13

i think he'd be a good fight for Soko (asuming soko beats Nak).....Granted i'd take Soko in that fight, soko equally skilled on the feet (similar styles) and much better ground game, but if Soko decided to trade, any one punch could put him away....

What about stephan bonnar or Tim Boetsch??? that would be a nice couple of slug fests ... seems like a good choices to me, especially looking at the rest of the division.

He has already fought Bonnar, but I would like to see him fight Boetsch or Soko as well. I guess a rematch with Bonnar would really let us know if he has improved his ground game. That is probably what you were getting at....
wolfman
4/7/08 10:40:28PM

Posted by IriShame

I would like to see him against Matt Hamill. Big power doesn't mean shit if you can't stuff the shot. Plus it would be an opportunity for Hamill to improve his standup against a dangerous striker. If Hamill gets KO'd it's back to the drawing board and he will be forced to work harder on his striking, if Irvin wins he shows a deeper skill set that could ultimately net him some fights with big name opponents.

Good points, Hamill would more than likely be able to get the fight to the ground and would pull off a LNP decision. Hamill would also be hard to knock out as he has a chin of granite. It would be a good test for him.
prozacnation1978
4/7/08 10:41:15PM
would like to see a rematch with thiago silva
blkssncpt
4/7/08 10:49:38PM

Posted by IriShame

i agree, i think this would be a decent match. if Hamill picks Irvins poison and stand with him he'll get KO'ed but with his outstanding wrestling background and Irvin's lack there of it could be a long night for Irvin. but id still bet on Irvin i've been a fan for a while and i had him picked against Alexander. also the idea of rematching Thiago and/or Cane would be good, eitherway i cant wait to see the Sandman back in the cage against whoever it may be.

-Rob
NatedawgThaM
4/7/08 10:49:43PM
He's going nowhere in the division IMO. I think he should fight Tim Boetch next, would be a great slugfest. Or maybe even Matt Hamil. But until he improves his sprawl or his submission defense, he isn't going nowhere.

I would hate to see a Thiago Silva rematch, especially since Thiago will just take him down and submit him quite easily if he plays it smart. Thiago is on his way up anyways, he wants the title, not another bar brawler who is going nowhere fast.

Twenty20Dollars
4/7/08 11:44:52PM
I think he should fight Wilson Gouviea(sp) pending if he wins his next fight which i think he will, or jason lambert, or keith jardine or wandy
Kracker_Jap
4/8/08 1:03:03AM

Posted by wolfman

Yes, Irvin is a good fighter and a dangerous fighter. However, if he hasn't improved his ground game I don't see him going too far in the deep LHW division. You are correct that he was doing well against Thiago, yet we obviously didn't get to see much out of either fighters(for obvious reasons). Thiago was taking the fight to the floor and he could have finished it there. Yet, I'd like to see a rematch between them and I'd give Irvin a puncher's chance as always. I would probably pick Thiago to win as I feel he is the more well rounded fighter and has a pretty good chin to boot.

Like you said, Irvin is dangerous and has a good chance against anyone, but he has to improve his ground game if he wants to be more of a threat. He was getting tooled for a little while on the feet by Cane, but he was holding his own. He landed a good punch that had Cane in trouble and I would also like to see a rematch between them as well. One thing to note was that he was taken down in that fight, but he was able to get up before he was met with the knee. Against other stand up fighters not known for their ground game he has a great shot, and if he is able to keep any fight standing he improves his chance of winning. Anyways, he is an exciting fighter to watch and I can't wait to see his next fight!

When is the last time you seen him on the ground?? How do you know it han't improved?? War Sandman
wolfman
4/8/08 1:41:39AM

Posted by Kracker_Jap

Posted by wolfman

When is the last time you seen him on the ground?? How do you know it han't improved?? War Sandman

I never openly said that he hasn't improved his ground game. I just said that if he wants to get anywhere he needs a greatly improved ground game. I also mentioned in my post that when he was taken down he was able to pop right back up. I agree, that we haven't seen much of him on the ground recently and he may have very well improved his ground game. Only time will tell.
WhiteWidow
4/8/08 2:46:44AM
wandy, soko, drwal, thiago, CANE REMATCH (nice acting james)
casey64
4/8/08 9:19:40AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

He's going nowhere in the division IMO. I think he should fight Tim Boetch next, would be a great slugfest. Or maybe even Matt Hamil. But until he improves his sprawl or his submission defense, he isn't going nowhere.

I would hate to see a Thiago Silva rematch, especially since Thiago will just take him down and submit him quite easily if he plays it smart. Thiago is on his way up anyways, he wants the title, not another bar brawler who is going nowhere fast.

I would have to agree with you on this he needs to fight Tim Boetch,Matt Hamil,or maybe IMO Keith Jardine I would like to see him fight the loser of Jardine/Wandy IMO

sinister_16
4/8/08 9:20:08AM
i would like to see James irvin fight Tim Boetch that would be a good slugfest
tylerlee123
4/8/08 4:40:47PM
Hamill or Boetsch would be good fights or rematch with Bonnar maybe ? Probaly not but ya never know, Winner of Gouveia - Relic would also be interesting