Whats next for Chuck??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Whats next for Chuck??
chickmagnet
9/7/08 11:45:56AM
What is next for the Iceman.

Does he make a final attempt to put a string of wins together to get to the title?

Does he fight a couple more times against C level fighters?

Does he retire?

Whats next????
jawbreaker517
9/7/08 11:49:50AM
Retirement home
mkiv9secsupra
9/7/08 11:51:06AM
i honestly dont know what he can do from here on out. his reputation just took a nose dive. either he fights for title and loses to rampage and/or machida and closes his career with losses or he fights cans and he is thought to be washed up and SHOULD retire. seems like this loss hurt him bad
chickmagnet
9/7/08 11:53:56AM
Well what would the UFC have ever been without Chuck. Chuck did the UFC more than anybody if you ask me. I bet he fights again and wins then retires. Hes a legend, a great fighter and a great human being.
jomatty
9/7/08 11:57:55AM
you guys are being awfully tough on the guy. if he has the desire he can still compete with the elite fighters imo. he got caught with a huge punch and when that happens you get ktfo. he looked ok until that happened and i still think he can compete with the best if he has the desire...
Ordep
9/7/08 12:17:32PM
rematch Jardine if he wins against Vera? this could be an option to see if he's done or not.
Twenty20Dollars
9/7/08 12:18:03PM
I dont see him getting his title back. But chuck can do some super fights at LHW or HW. That would be cool to see.
spikerman19
9/7/08 12:20:26PM
The 205 division is to large for him to try and make it to the top. He is in the same situation as Rich was at 185. Chuck needs to let the belly grow and move up to heavyweight
IriShame
9/7/08 12:53:45PM
Moving up to heavyweight seems to make sense for Chuck right now. Especially if Randy loses to Lesnar. We could see Chuck vs. Randy 4 at heavyweight.
Taylor8766
9/7/08 12:57:08PM

Posted by spikerman19

The 205 division is to large for him to try and make it to the top. He is in the same situation as Rich was at 185. Chuck needs to let the belly grow and move up to heavyweight

I disagree with Chuck being the same as RIch was at 185 because Rich can beat everyone in the MW division except for Anderson, while Chuck has lost 3 of his last 4 fights(Rampage, Jardine, Rashad) now granted he has a big win over Wanderlei but IMO Chuck should either make a run at the HW title or go for one last fight in the LHW division and retire, because I would hate for Chuck to end up like Ken Shamrock
keith-hackney1
9/7/08 1:02:00PM
Either chuck drops down to middleweight for an immediate title shot against silva, maybe white will slightly adapt the rules so that anderson silva cannot strike liddell to the head, that way chuck should wear a belt again very soon. Im sure all the other middleweights who have earned their space in the top 10 wouldn't mind the ex LHW champ with his impressive 1-2 come back streak, coming down a weight class to take their title shots for them.
There is of course the opportunity to leave the ufc and fight some more grapplers like he did when he was the unbeatable champion. With the ufc LHW division being full of dangerous strikers like vanderlei, machida, griffin and rampage, that redemption of chucks title dream seems very vague to me. He could always fight houston alexander, that way there's a 50/50 percent chance of liddell winning as you would have 2 one style fighters with weak chins throwing down for a win.
With randy couture back in the HW division, an unstoppable anderson silva in the MW division, and a LHW division full of strikers who all have chucks card. Doesn't look good for liddell. I see him leaving partnership with the ufc and taking on the next role of THE SCORPION KING 3 financed globally by his best friend dana. Maybe mr white will try and make liddell the best film actor now there's no chance of him holding a UFC belt again.... ??????
copcopps
9/7/08 1:02:55PM
Retirement if he's smart
JackHammerXXX
9/7/08 1:05:04PM
I'm open to Chuck at HW...but how much harder he going to fall when guys like Velasquez, Carwin, Lesnar, Gonzaga, etc. are hitting him like that?!!!

Honestly, when I saw, heard, that shot, and the aftermath...Chuck laying, curled, body twisted, face slid on canvas, fist clenched and rolled, slid along it's topside, toes curling....first thought, was he done, for good.

I give any man a shot, young or old, look at Randy. And I saw the Rampage knockout, this was a devastating right, that landed flush, on a man, who also was in the process of throwing a big punch. It caught him right on the chin, and that was all she wrote. One of the cleanest knockouts I've ever witnessed. Chuck will be on highlights now, for that one, forever.

Is he done? No. Shit, Kimbo vs. Chuck anyone? Hey, for ***** and giggles, I bet some of yous would bet on Kimbo after seeing last night....
Anyways, a Jardine rematch would be good for him, not Keith soo much. Shogun and Chuck could fight in Dec. Jan. just to say f#$% it. I think his stock took a big hit, with this fight. His career might still have some, if not alil promise, but only for superfights. I don't see a title coming back, at least not without 2 huge, 3 big big wins...
hathcock32
9/7/08 1:12:08PM
He got caught with the perfect punch. I think we are looking to much into this. Chuck still has a chance to regain the belt although he is going to need probably a 3 fight win streak. I kept wondering, why didnt Chuck shoot in on Rashad like he did on Wandy a couple of times, unexpected. He was to one-dimensional in this fight, loading up the right the whole night. The high leg kick at the end of round 1 should have been used more....it nearly connected. Chuck will be back, lets just hope he has a smarter fight.
Naturaldisaster
9/7/08 3:23:51PM

Posted by keith-hackney1

Either chuck drops down to middleweight for an immediate title shot against silva, maybe white will slightly adapt the rules so that anderson silva cannot strike liddell to the head, that way chuck should wear a belt again very soon. Im sure all the other middleweights who have earned their space in the top 10 wouldn't mind the ex LHW champ with his impressive 1-2 come back streak, coming down a weight class to take their title shots for them.
There is of course the opportunity to leave the ufc and fight some more grapplers like he did when he was the unbeatable champion. With the ufc LHW division being full of dangerous strikers like vanderlei, machida, griffin and rampage, that redemption of chucks title dream seems very vague to me. He could always fight houston alexander, that way there's a 50/50 percent chance of liddell winning as you would have 2 one style fighters with weak chins throwing down for a win.
With randy couture back in the HW division, an unstoppable anderson silva in the MW division, and a LHW division full of strikers who all have chucks card. Doesn't look good for liddell. I see him leaving partnership with the ufc and taking on the next role of THE SCORPION KING 3 financed globally by his best friend dana. Maybe mr white will try and make liddell the best film actor now there's no chance of him holding a UFC belt again.... ??????

Dude your an idiot. There not gonna have chuck drop to middle weight and get an immidiate title shot. You act like UFC is hand pickin chucks opponents. But if your gonna hand pick his opponents then why the hell would you give him Rampage, Jardine, Wandy and Rashad? And so what if he and dana are good friends? i didnt realize there was a rule book that said you and your boss cant be cool. Chucks done a lot for the UFC, some people need to learn to respect him.
GrizzlyChadams
9/7/08 3:42:33PM
Everyone is being a bit to over dramatic. The man looked great and got caught with a lucky punch. He still has alot of fight left in him.
Aether
9/7/08 3:51:25PM
Or he could practice keeping his hands up when he comes in to throw punches because he was clearly winning that fight by a landslide when he made that mistake.

Everyone cries retirement the instant a good fighter drops a few. He's still easily top 10.
SJUD
9/7/08 3:52:45PM
Chuck was good when he was going against people who were wrestlers and weak in the striking department. Good marketing move by the UFC to make him a star. Unfortunately for Chuck now that the game has evolved even the wrestlers have good striking which is something Chuck can't compete with. His options are to retire or beg the UFC to feed him cans again.
SJUD
9/7/08 3:54:03PM

Posted by Aether

Or he could practice keeping his hands up when he comes in to throw punches because he was clearly winning that fight by a landslide when he made that mistake.

Everyone cries retirement the instant a good fighter drops a few. He's still easily top 10.

By a landslide? He only won the first round because of the aggression rules. He didn't hurt Rashad once. He wasn't top 10 before the fight and he isn't top 10 now.
Aether
9/7/08 3:56:41PM

Posted by SJUD

Posted by Aether

By a landslide? He only won the first round because of the aggression rules. He didn't hurt Rashad once. He wasn't top 10 before the fight and he isn't top 10 now.

Nate quarry also didn't do very much damage against kalib starnes, the reason is because he was running away for the entire round, not because chuck was failing to engage him. He was clearly losing when he landed that punch.

I think anyone who runs away for an entire round and makes absolutely no attempt to engage should automatically be given a 10-8 regardless of damage done by his opponent.
SJUD
9/7/08 4:02:12PM
As I recall Chuck was the one cut after the first round. How did that happen if Rashad did nothing? He had a clear and effective game plan. He obviously has the better cardio over Chuck so make Chuck chase him and get sloppy with his punches.
Aether
9/7/08 4:09:49PM
chuck is sloppy with his punches because he's always sloppy with his punches. Rashad running away had nothing to do with it. Chuck wasn't cut, he had a mouse under his eye, it wasn't from Rashad engaging him. Are you going to try to argue that Rashad was engaging chuck in the first round because chuck had a mouse? He ran away and when he was forced into a corner he would throw one or two punches to open space so he could run away some more.

I just find it hilarious because all of the people saying that this was a good gameplan would be singing the exact opposite tune if the fight went to a decision. I'll say it again, the ends don't justify the means, it was a bad gameplan. I can link you to every play by play on the internet if you don't think chuck was clearly winning that fight, absolutely no one scored in favour of Rashad.

He got the KO, good for him. It was a great punch and a brutal knockout. That doesn't change the fact that he was losing the fight and executing a gameplan that relied entirely on landing one big haymaker. This is never a smart gameplan.
KYGUY07
9/7/08 4:17:12PM
Its sad to say because chuck is a legend in the sport, but everyone has figured him out, he needs to retire and not tarnish his record, but you know how dana is theres prolly some super fights out there that he could have chuck fight, so we prolly havent seen the last of the iceman.
prozacnation1978
9/7/08 7:52:27PM
he lost 3 of 4 fights in same land with matt hughes it is sad to watch them lose

i think lidell needs to fight shogun next in dec
keith-hackney1
9/8/08 4:46:51PM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

Posted by keith-hackney1

Dude your an idiot. There not gonna have chuck drop to middle weight and get an immidiate title shot. You act like UFC is hand pickin chucks opponents. But if your gonna hand pick his opponents then why the hell would you give him Rampage, Jardine, Wandy and Rashad? And so what if he and dana are good friends? i didnt realize there was a rule book that said you and your boss cant be cool. Chucks done a lot for the UFC, some people need to learn to respect him.

I bet your favorite fighter is Liddell ... right ???
The UFC doesn't hand pick chucks opponents, dana does. Since getting ko'd by rampage, he made his comeback with an explosive 3 round loss to keith jardine. Not the greatest start for the former 7 time LHW champion. Fair enough he beat vanderlei, but i don't think that fight was impressive from liddell. For years he wanted vanderlei, promised every fan he would knock him out, and didn't. Chuck only beat vanderlei because the UFC favours the double leg takedowns on the scorecards, after 1 round going toe to toe with silva, chuck knew he wasn't gonna get the ko, so he threw in a few take downs to make sure the decision went his way. Then we come to rashad evans. No one apart from a selective few including myself thought rashad evans had the game to beat liddell. I predicted the outcome to a T !! Chuck is a great striker who has ko ability. At the time he ruled the LHW division, he was beating wrestlers and grapplers. There wasn't any ko power opponents around to stop chuck at that time. Now with the likes of rampage, forest, machida, thiago and vanderlei, liddells style would be a bad match up for any of those fighters named above because the chances of him loosing would be alot greater than if he was to fight the grapplers and wrestlers with little stand up skill.
Rashad evans has just let the world know the greatest gameplan there is on how to beat chuck liddell. He called it saturday night. All the grapplers in the past including coutures last two rematches with chuck were all about getting liddell down to the mat. Chuck does have good hands and the best takedown defence in that division, but when he fights a good solid mixed martial artist who has a good solid pair of hands too, its a 50/50 fight for him. Rashad evans is underfeated for a reason, everybody looked past that statement right there. Even chucks biggest fans must admit that he does fight with his hands down all the time. Rampage caught him with the hook flush on the chin. Rashad put his left jab out there to divert liddells attention, then threw that same power hook, same place on the chin that rampage landed.
Dana and chuck are best buddies. I believe that dana thought rashad wasn't good enough at this point in his career to cause chuck major problems on the feet. Had chuck won, the ufc would say that with rashad's impressive unbeatable record taken away by the hands of liddell, that would be the biggest argument in justifying liddells immediate title shot against griffin. I ask, with the outcome going to rashad, does rashad get a title shot ??? .. Or will dana feed him to machida or rampage first ???
Surely rashad deserves a shot a the title now ... !!!!
But i bet he don't get it.
Dana would quite happily pit liddell up against shogun next seen as shogun hasn't fought in all this time and has had surgery due to a serious injury. Its iot to be in liddells best interest that a win over shogun would propell him back into the top 5 quickly. I want to see liddell fight vera, if liddell wins, he should fight rampage for the 3rd time before he gets put in the title picture again. Machida, rashad, vanderlei and rampage along with the champ griffin are the top 5 LHW's now, liddell needs to rack up a couple of worthy wins before he gets put in that top 5 bracket. I don't think its too late in his career to get another title shot, randy couture is living proof that age doesn't matter in mma, chuck can do it, but he should start from the bottom again.

keith-hackney1
9/8/08 4:52:55PM

Posted by GrizzlyChadams

Everyone is being a bit to over dramatic. The man looked great and got caught with a lucky punch. He still has alot of fight left in him.

ha ha ha ha ... Lucky punch ha ha ha ha !!!!
Rush
9/8/08 5:04:38PM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

Dude your an idiot.

This whole Rashad Chuck topic is bringing out the worst in so many posters. There have been so many insults thrown around that it is getting to be like Sherdog. Argue the points. There is no need to call people names. It's just a fight. It's just a game.

This is the final warning for everyone. From now on if I see stupid name calling over a Chuck Rashad topic I am going to just hand out week-long bans like free candy. If that's what it takes to prevent this place from turning into Sherdog, then so be it.