Whats better for cardio?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Whats better for cardio?
SmileR
2/26/08 8:06:22PM
Swimming or running?
I swim almost everyday (between 100-150 laps a day) and also train in boxing and judo 4 days aweek so i think i have a pretty good base but when i go home i get blown out water by my little brother.

I can leave most of the guys at my gym for dead if the fights run longer than 2 rounds and i but can't keep up with him!
Its killing me! Should i do more running?
I always thought swimming was just as good!

Is this right or am i doing something wrong?
Do some people just have naturally bigger gas tanks?!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Just so you know i'd whip my brothers ass in a fight.

seanfu
2/26/08 8:16:04PM
Running by far. I'd recomend a combination of endurence running, sprinting, stairs, and swimming exercises. Your swimming sounds like it is benificial. People have much different Energy levels. The gas tank varies but is mostly the same for each person.

If you're woried about being able to "keep up", but your gas tank is bigger still then work on explosiveness drills. Rapid fire on the bag for 5 to 10 seconds/ Heavy sprints/ jumping and lifting.

I'm a wrestler and a wrestler with probably the best conditioning in season on the team so I pretty much know what I'm talking about on this.

Swimming is neglected by most but it's pretty beneficial. I don't do it because I don't have access like that but in wrestling they had us run stairs and hallways nonstop for an hour at a time.

Also, diet is key, salad, regardless of your weight, is beneficial because it allows for more muscle stamina and you won't waste as much gas through muscle.

hotrodttt
2/26/08 8:20:11PM

Posted by SmileR

Swimming or running?
I swim almost everyday (between 100-150 laps a day) and also train in boxing and judo 4 days aweek so i think i have a pretty good base but when i go home i get blown out water by my little brother.

I can leave most of the guys at my gym for dead if the fights run longer than 2 rounds and i but can't keep up with him!
Its killing me! Should i do more running?
I always thought swimming was just as good!

Is this right or am i doing something wrong?
Do some people just have naturally bigger gas tanks?!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Just so you know i'd whip my brothers ass in a fight.

It seems that your swimming is beneficial to your cardio but I don't know about the fighting aspect of it, Your skin gets less hard the more you smin which makes you suseptible to cuts.
postman
2/26/08 8:23:09PM
Sometimes you have to "shock" your body so I would say run for a awhile then swim. Also I know it may sound starange and its not going to put your cardio through the roof but I have been taking Fish oil pills and I swear I can see a difference in my cardio.
seanfu
2/26/08 8:23:44PM
Forgot about that one. Good add on.
SmileR
2/26/08 8:39:28PM

Posted by seanfu

Running by far. I'd recomend a combination of endurence running, sprinting, stairs, and swimming exercises. Your swimming sounds like it is benificial. People have much different Energy levels. The gas tank varies but is mostly the same for each person.

If you're woried about being able to "keep up", but your gas tank is bigger still then work on explosiveness drills. Rapid fire on the bag for 5 to 10 seconds/ Heavy sprints/ jumping and lifting.

I'm a wrestler and a wrestler with probably the best conditioning in season on the team so I pretty much know what I'm talking about on this.

Swimming is neglected by most but it's pretty beneficial. I don't do it because I don't have access like that but in wrestling they had us run stairs and hallways nonstop for an hour at a time.

Also, diet is key, salad, regardless of your weight, is beneficial because it allows for more muscle stamina and you won't waste as much gas through muscle.

Thanks man!
I'm going to make them changes and see if it works.
Props to you!
xenophon
3/6/08 4:23:05AM
Mix up your training. Run some days, swim others. After you get used to doing both, add something else into the mix.
Vote4Fedro
6/30/08 1:52:29AM
Running hands down. Also try doing 50 and 100 yard sprints with 90 second rest in between. Fish oil is good for heart so I ciuold see it helping.
HMA123
6/30/08 9:45:24AM
Running is a sport swimming is an art.
7/10 people can swim about 10/10 people can run. Running is naturaly better.

While you run try and find hills to run up, long staircases,bleachers at a school. while they all not only build great cardio but loads of leg strength also..

Sprints are one of the best things for you. Do some suicides,and i would change it up and do some bear crawls up hills, as stuff like that is amazing for grappling, and all MMA comp.Be creative.
Rush
6/30/08 10:13:03AM
One thing that I want to add is that when fighting, or whatever, some people tend to waste (or misuse) some of their energy and thus make it look like they have less of a tank.

For example, using too much strength over a more extended period of time (i.e. trying to muscle someone down rather than a short explosion or using more technique) will burn way more energy. Just look at the Franklin MacDonald fight. I think Jason is in pretty good shape, but he tried too hard for too long to muscle Rich to the ground.

I guess another example could be from running. Try running a 3 miles at a steady pace and compare it to a set if intervals (fast-slow). The overall time might be the same, but I bet the intervals will tire you out more.
The_Notorious_ZIG
6/30/08 2:39:55PM
All good suggestions IMO. I would add that your problem may be that your body has adjusted to doing 100-150 laps and uses the minimum amount of effort/energy necessary. if your doing that many laps its likely at a slow relaxed pace similar to a long jog. Try raising the intensity and swimming as fast as you can for less laps. Changing up strokes as well (free style to butterfly to breast...etc.)
I also agree on changing up from time to time and doing both running/sprinting and swimming. Changing levels of intensity as well. Intervals !!