Whats the best time to work out?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Whats the best time to work out?
Naturaldisaster
11/26/08 2:54:14AM
I usually dont work out during the day, I usually start to work out pretty late at night. What is the best time to work out though. At night im usually more tired, and my muscules arent are kinda worn out. cuz at that time I have to work hard than i would, say in the morning when im completely energized. I push myself to complete all my workouts. but is that a good thing, bad?
Rush
11/26/08 7:51:24AM
Whenever you like to work out.

I prefer mornings, but I think any time is fine provided it's not right before you are going to bed. Give your body a couple hours (at least) to wind down so you get good solid sleep.

There are some advantages and disadvantages to each time of the day.

One thing that some athletes do is that they train around the same time of day as their competition so their body is used to working at that time of day.
Jackelope
11/26/08 8:31:47AM
I've read things that say basically what Rush did. There are advantages/disadvantages for each time of day. So get in a workout when you can
StevenSeagal
11/26/08 8:42:24AM

Posted by Naturaldisaster

I usually dont work out during the day, I usually start to work out pretty late at night. What is the best time to work out though. At night im usually more tired, and my muscules arent are kinda worn out. cuz at that time I have to work hard than i would, say in the morning when im completely energized. I push myself to complete all my workouts. but is that a good thing, bad?

If you are looking for fat loss, there is no better time to do cardio than sometime in the morning before the consumption of carbohydrates. Over the course of the night your blood sugar drops. So when you wake up in the morning, that is the lowest blood sugar time of the day. By doing morning cardio while your blood sugar is low, you are able to get wayyy more out of your cardio than say 6pm after a big meal or something like that. Without out getting into a huge rabbit hole discussion of blood sugar and how it helps and hinders performance, just know that the best time for cardio is sometime after you wake up before your carb source. If you want a full run down of why this is so important PM me and ill be glad to help you more. Or if you feel like it, you can check out Ironaddicts.com. They have prob the best overall nutrition forum on the net IMO. The guy who runs the site is amazing and is a human encyclopedia.

Now for WEIGHT TRAINING, pushing yourself super hard with very low blood sugar might make you dizzy and hinder your performance. For intense anaerobic exercise like heavy weights, Id leave that for a lil later in the day, say afternoon and up. Reason being is not only is your blood sugar lowest in the am, but your are at your weakest in the am. Want proof? Try and make a hard fist right when you wake up, your grip tends to be a lot weaker... So why would you want to take that am weakness into the gym and put up less weight?

Overall, Its ok to work out anytime besides right before bed ( due to its affect on falling asleep IMO). Its just some times and circumstances are more beneficial than others. It all depends on what your goals are.
seanfu
11/26/08 2:47:27PM
Peoples bodys peak at different times. Night isn't the best. I prefer it but If you set a time and make your body your bitch then it will start recognizing what time it needs to get its act together.

I say that because I've trained all kinds of times of day consistantly and if your mentally there and ready your body will make it work. And officer Seagal is right about the meals/ sugar obviously.
I usually say for early training an hour or 1 and a half after waking and a light meal. But I'm sure age depends. Not my field of study really.
postman
11/26/08 10:20:36PM
I have found in the reality I live in when ever I can is the best time.
Bobby-B-Bonkers
11/27/08 12:00:09AM
the more you can switch up the timing of your workouts the better, if you work-out at the same time everyday, your body gets used to it and you'll peak, not good if your goal is to keep getting stronger...

i guess it depends on what your goal is
seanfu
11/27/08 12:53:37AM

Posted by Bobby-B-Bonkers

the more you can switch up the timing of your workouts the better, if you work-out at the same time everyday, your body gets used to it and you'll peak, not good if your goal is to keep getting stronger...

i guess it depends on what your goal is

I've never heard of that. Where'd you get it from.
Wolfenstein
11/27/08 2:47:17AM
Assuming you have the luxury of choosing your time and no time is much better than another.There does not seem to be a clear answer but rather a range of opinions. One argument is that by exercising in the morning, you increase your metabolism during the day. Another is that your muscles warm up as the day goes on and that you can do more exercise in the afternoon or evening with less risk of injury.

Personally I like to a light workout in the morning on an empty stomach. Afterwards I feel very energetic throughout the day, especially after having two bowl of raisin bran and a few scrambles eggs. Yum!

I'll also work out in the evening as that is when I feel strongest.

So in short...at least in my experience morning workouts is a good way to kickstart the day, and evening workouts are a good time to hit the weight room.

Mostly my evening workouts are consisting of BJJ and muay thai now though, but my morning jogs/sprints make a world of difference in my performance later on in the day.