Whats the 2nd most important fight in UFC history?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Whats the 2nd most important fight in UFC history?
Taylor8766
4/24/10 4:47:33PM
Well we all know that the single most important fight in UFC history and maybe even MMA history is Forrest Griffin vs. Stephan Bonnar. So I was just curious as to which fight you guys think is right up there with it IMO it would have to be Chuck vs. Tito 2, that fight had so much hype and was the fastest sellout in UFC history. What are some fights that you guys think is up there.
postman
4/24/10 4:51:12PM
I can't disagree
higdon10
4/24/10 4:59:56PM
Tito/Shamrock 2. Was just a huge fight at the time. Maybe I'm way off base, just the first fight that came to mind
BeeR
4/24/10 5:39:41PM
Randy vs Sylvia was huge at the time, Ive never heard a louder crowd at a ufc event
postman
4/24/10 6:05:51PM

Posted by higdon10

Tito/Shamrock 2. Was just a huge fight at the time. Maybe I'm way off base, just the first fight that came to mind

Thats another big one for sure. I was at 68 for Tim and Randy Awesome!
sbulldavid
4/24/10 6:16:09PM
Rampage vs Liddell II , brought a new wave to the forefront, with an underachieving Rampage Jackson putting an end to the Liddell era.
mrsmiley
4/24/10 7:05:30PM
A few ways I look at this. from a UFC standpoint Griffin VS Bonnar 1 was the most significant fight in the promotions history and probably all of MMA within the "western" world. In Japan Griffin vs Bonnar wasn't nearly as monumental as Royce vs Saku or even when Takiyama fought Fujita. But in America you can't deny its importance. I believe this question has multiple layers and can't be as easily answered if we want to dig deeper. yes,forrest fight with Stephan Bonnar was the biggest bout when it comes to widespread MMA appeal. A lot of people tuned in for that fight and gained a re-education about the sport. However, from a skill set or evolutionary standpoint this particular fight did little to nothing for the UFC or mixed martial arts. It was a great slugfest that brought a renissance for the UFC but did nothing to actually further along the fight game.
So lets break this down.
The most important fight in regards to finacial and audience growth goes hands down to Bonnar VS Griffin 1.
but,lets move along to the evolution of MMA . What's the most important fight when it comes to the evolution of the fight game? (Rush made a topic simular to this) I think that question is much harder to answer because their's been so many jumps ahead since the original conception of the UFC. Do you give it to Royce for showing us the power of BJJ? To Machida for adapting Karate to the sport? Or perhaps Mark Coleman for giving us the time tested effectiveness of GnP?
cmill21
4/24/10 7:13:24PM
I have to go with Brock debut. It brought the new chuck into the fold, giving the UFC another top draw just as they were losing their other top dogs.
SpiderSilva
4/24/10 9:20:24PM
silva vs franklin 1 lol j/k

i would say chuck vs randy 3 that fight seemed to be the most promoted fight at that time cause from what i remember that thing was hyped and from that point on ufc was was a marketing machine
TheGodfather1024
4/24/10 10:28:48PM
Chuck vs. Tito 2 or maybe Chuck vs. Couture (there three fights)
seanfu
4/25/10 1:05:54PM
I think Tito Shamrock 3, remember how big that entire card was? And the main even held the record for a long time for Spike ratingswise.
BustedKnuckle
4/25/10 6:02:42PM
I am going with Brock/Mir II! It was a time when the HW division in the UFC was starting to hit it's stride and gain fighters/importance. The HW title is the "holy grail" in combat sports bar none. Now with the surge of great talent in the UFC and other orgs. Mir, Carwin, JDS, Nelson, NOG, AO, Fedor, Rogers, Arlovski, Werdum.... I cant wait to see up coming fights....Carwin/Lesnar, Rogers/Overeem. Hell maybe Fedor will fight this year!?!?!?!?
NatedawgThaM
4/25/10 8:12:52PM
Tito vs Chuck 2 definitely was a huge fight.

I liked Cro Cop/Gonzaga, GSP-Serra 1 as some pretty important fights becaause it showed anything is possible in our sport which is a great reason to love it.
TOMMYAYO05
4/25/10 10:22:37PM
second biggest would forsure be ortiz-liddell 2.most hyped and brought so many new fans.It just elevated the sport to a whole new level.As far has TRUE mma fans what fight bigger than wandi-liddell? prides best vs ufc best.For years we wanted to see which organazation rained supreme and they did not disappoint!
BlueSkiesBurn
4/25/10 10:43:59PM

Posted by mrsmiley

A few ways I look at this. from a UFC standpoint Griffin VS Bonnar 1 was the most significant fight in the promotions history and probably all of MMA within the "western" world. In Japan Griffin vs Bonnar wasn't nearly as monumental as Royce vs Saku or even when Takiyama fought Fujita. But in America you can't deny its importance. I believe this question has multiple layers and can't be as easily answered if we want to dig deeper. yes,forrest fight with Stephan Bonnar was the biggest bout when it comes to widespread MMA appeal. A lot of people tuned in for that fight and gained a re-education about the sport. However, from a skill set or evolutionary standpoint this particular fight did little to nothing for the UFC or mixed martial arts. It was a great slugfest that brought a renissance for the UFC but did nothing to actually further along the fight game.
So lets break this down.
The most important fight in regards to finacial and audience growth goes hands down to Bonnar VS Griffin 1.
but,lets move along to the evolution of MMA . What's the most important fight when it comes to the evolution of the fight game? (Rush made a topic simular to this) I think that question is much harder to answer because their's been so many jumps ahead since the original conception of the UFC. Do you give it to Royce for showing us the power of BJJ? To Machida for adapting Karate to the sport? Or perhaps Mark Coleman for giving us the time tested effectiveness of GnP?

I've said this often. In terms of the actual evolution of the sport itself this fight shouldn't even been in the conversation. I will not argue its importance in broadening the base of the audience but, having watched UFC since its inception, I can't say that I was floored by this fight. It was just a great slugfest as Smiley already said. Nothing much more than that from a fight standpoint.

That being said, one of the most important fights for me was Hughes vs. Gracie. For me it's on the same level as what people have mentioned above. The reason this was one of the most important fights for me was because it showed the evolution of the sport and was a contest between two legends and hall of famers. Gracie dominated the sport in its early days with his BJJ but Hughes showed that one style isn't gonna hack it anymore. You need to be well versed. I'm not saying this hadn't happened prior this just had HUGE names. I dunno, I'm sure nobody will agree but this is a subjective argument to begin with.
haggiswashere
4/26/10 9:01:22PM
GSP vs Hughes 2. The welterweight division was never the same after that.
chickmagnet
4/27/10 12:34:36AM
When Karate finally made its comeback at UFC 98

WAR MACHIDA
vistol
4/28/10 4:23:55AM
randy vs tim was pretty epic. really kinda made randy the old yet new face of mma and the ufc