Werdum vs Vera who wins

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Werdum vs Vera who wins
mrliquid
3/25/08 7:34:37PM
Who wins this fight and how Werdum is awsome on the ground and has never been knocked out and he is a brown belt in judo and even though I dislike Vera he is a good grappler with pretty nice Muay Thai and not to shabby on the ground either imo I think Werdum will be able to withstand Veras striking enough get him to the ground and sub him or put on a good enough show to win a decision over Vera what do you guys think about this match up?
juanez13
3/25/08 7:46:08PM
yea im taking vera on this one. im gonna say by decision, i dont know if he can KO werdum but i defenately give him the edge on stand up, and he is probably gonna be tied up on the ground for a while (probably in top position) and work the ground a little bit, he can hold his own on the ground so i doubt he'll have trouble fending off a few sub attemps......i say vera takes a UD
RandyCouture
3/25/08 7:53:48PM
Vera via decison
CantAndleDaRiddum
3/25/08 7:57:13PM

Posted by RandyCouture

Vera via decison

i hink Vera can stop him. dont know if he will, but think he can.

im gonna say Vera tko 2nd round
owen1
3/25/08 8:34:12PM

i think Vera can stop him. dont know if he will, but think he can.

im gonna say Vera tko 2nd round

Ya i think Vera has enough to stop him.
chitown97
3/25/08 8:53:06PM
Werdum by third round sub. He has enough standup skills to frustrate Vera who will try a knee, in turn get the takedown and sub him late in the fight.
mrliquid
3/25/08 9:09:42PM
Yea I don't think he will have to much trouble with Vera's standup he withstood GG's standup twice and Arlovski I think he will have trouble getting him down cause of veras grappling but if he does he definately has the advantage.
jgtribbett
3/25/08 9:12:21PM
i dont care who wins.. i ready to see this fight. i like them both and both have skills . i'm hoping to see a technicalfight
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
3/25/08 9:14:17PM

Werdum has shown major stand up improvement since joining chute box. This is saying alot since he used to train with mirko cro cop. Werdum is a big 6'4 , 245 pound heavy weight, while vera is more like 6'1 ,225 pound . The stand up will be a wash because of werdums height and reach or IMO werdums advantage. Werdum has better ground game then vera, and IMO the best in the division other then maybe BIG NOG. Werdum by TKO or SUB, havent made up my mind just yet.

vera needs to drop to LHW. theres plent of LHW's that weigh more then he does before cutting. hopefully another loss will humble him enough.
whardin19
3/25/08 10:11:59PM
I'm taking Werdum in this one boys. I know alot of you are picking Vera to win this fight, but I think Werdum is just to big and has way better BJJ than Vera. Which I don't think Werdum has any problem taking Vera to the mat and finishing him. If he doesn't finish him on the ground though he'll squeek out a decision.
MMA
3/25/08 10:42:46PM
Vera is a good grappler but Werdum is a great grappler. Brandon needs to keep this fight standing if he wants to win.
Ben_Hutch
3/25/08 10:42:59PM
Werdum all day
ICSlegend
3/25/08 10:47:11PM

Posted by AnDeRsonDaSiLvA

Werdum has shown major stand up improvement since joining chute box. This is saying alot since he used to train with mirko cro cop. Werdum is a big 6'4 , 245 pound heavy weight, while vera is more like 6'1 ,225 pound . The stand up will be a wash because of werdums height and reach or IMO werdums advantage. Werdum has better ground game then vera, and IMO the best in the division other then maybe BIG NOG. Werdum by TKO or SUB, havent made up my mind just yet.

vera needs to drop to LHW. theres plent of LHW's that weigh more then he does before cutting. hopefully another loss will humble him enough.

Actually Vera is 6'3", so the reach is pretty even.

Werdum should be able to take it down for the sub though.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
3/25/08 11:27:03PM
ON sherdog and wikipedia hes listed at 6'4.He looked noticably taller then gabe gozaga in his last fight.
NatedawgThaM
3/26/08 12:31:27AM
VERA IS BETTER ON THE GROUND THEN HE IS ON THE FEET!!!

Glad I got that out first. Because I know a lot of post first -research last posters think Vera is some kick boxer with no ground game and that Werdum will submit him. But that's not true!!! Vera was a great wrestler who became great with BJJ with grapplers quest tournament wins before he went into MMA and actually learned some kickboxing and started KOing folks.

He trains with a BJJ black belt so I see that getting him ready for the ground even better and he'll be ready with great sub defense and GNP. I think he will tool Werdum on the feet and get a late KO or a clear decision.

Yeah Werdum has never been KO'd but he has never faced the complete package like Vera. He's faced only kickboxers or only grapplers except Gonzaga who lacks heart and Big Nog with no real KO power. Vera is good wherever the fight goes except in the clinch against huge people like Big Tim who just hold him there.

Kpro
3/26/08 12:59:55AM
I didn't know Vera had a BJJ black belt.

I think I'm going to wait for the fight to end before I pick a winner now.
NatedawgThaM
3/26/08 1:07:57AM
I'm not 100% he has a black belt, but I know he trains with one. And he's been training with one but I'm not sure if he follows a gi-system but he has fought won Grapplers Quest tournaments which are filled with BJJ Black belts. So if he's won those tournaments he's probably beaten some.
chubbud22
3/26/08 1:16:17AM
I think Werdum will overwhelm Vera on the ground ,but wont be able to finish him en rout to a unanimous dec.
juanez13
3/26/08 7:03:14AM

Posted by mrliquid

Yea I don't think he will have to much trouble with Vera's standup he withstood GG's standup twice and Arlovski I think he will have trouble getting him down cause of veras grappling but if he does he definately has the advantage.

IMO you mean he stood with gonzaga getting his ass kicked untill Gonzaga was gassed, and didnt want part of the fight, and i dont think the fight with arlovski matters as much, as Arlovski doesnt seem to be going for the KO like he was before. Just look at the fight with Obrien and you can see how much agressiveness hes lost.
mrliquid
3/26/08 8:35:13AM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by mrliquid

IMO you mean he stood with gonzaga getting his ass kicked untill Gonzaga was gassed, and didnt want part of the fight, and i dont think the fight with arlovski matters as much, as Arlovski doesnt seem to be going for the KO like he was before. Just look at the fight with Obrien and you can see how much agressiveness hes lost.

Point there is he stood with both without getting knocked out and both I think have alot more power than Vera so he should be able to withstand his striking enough through out the fight and he beat GG both times by TKO once in the 3rd round once in the 2nd so if GG is gassing by the 2nd round thats his problem doesn't take anything away from Werdum.
Franklinfan47
3/26/08 9:28:23AM
I think Werdum will take it just based on his experience level and skill set. Not to say Vera isn't skilled, but to me the Sylvia loss showed that he's still got some stuff to learn. Tough one to call though, I would be happy if either of them won.
tylerlee123
3/26/08 10:53:20AM
I think Werdum will win this fight, but i wouldnt be surprised if Vera got the win
ICSlegend
3/26/08 11:10:53AM

ON sherdog and wikipedia hes listed at 6'4.He looked noticably taller then gabe gozaga in his last fight.

Read more carefully. Vera is 6'3". Never questioned Werdum's 6'4".

My post -

Posted by ICSlegend

Riggeee
3/26/08 2:34:41PM
werdum will take vera down and end the fight there
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
3/26/08 9:59:35PM

Posted by ICSlegend

Read more carefully. Vera is 6'3". Never questioned Werdum's 6'4".

My post -

Posted by ICSlegend

my bad. on sherdog they list vera at 6'2. Werdum no doubt has a size advantage.
Pookie
3/26/08 10:05:14PM
Through my own insane reasoning skills i have Vera by UD.
MMA
3/26/08 10:19:42PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Glad I got that out first. Because I know a lot of post first -research last posters think Vera is some kick boxer with no ground game and that Werdum will submit him. But that's not true!!! Vera was a great wrestler who became great with BJJ with grapplers quest tournament wins before he went into MMA and actually learned some kickboxing and started KOing folks.

He trains with a BJJ black belt so I see that getting him ready for the ground even better and he'll be ready with great sub defense and GNP. I think he will tool Werdum on the feet and get a late KO or a clear decision.

Yeah Werdum has never been KO'd but he has never faced the complete package like Vera. He's faced only kickboxers or only grapplers except Gonzaga who lacks heart and Big Nog with no real KO power. Vera is good wherever the fight goes except in the clinch against huge people like Big Tim who just hold him there.

I know Vera has a good ground game but that's a pretty bold statement you made. I don't know too much about Vera so I cannot really debate it. However, I am certain that even though Vera has a competent ground game, it is definitely not at Werdum's level. Not only is Werdum a really strong grappler, he is also very difficult to finish so Vera is going to have his hands full.

If Vera were to win, I see it during the earlier rounds. If it goes the distance, I think Werdum will grind it out for a decision (or a 3rd submission). Also, (to me) it sounds like you don't like Tim Sylvia much.
JBatch
3/26/08 10:43:40PM
I would say Werdum wins the ground battle and Vera the standup, the more likely scenario is a Werdum UD. This fight will definetly go to the mat.
Mayhem13
3/27/08 12:01:42AM
Werdum by rnd 3 Sub
NatedawgThaM
3/27/08 9:12:55AM

Posted by MMA

Posted by NatedawgThaM

I know Vera has a good ground game but that's a pretty bold statement you made. I don't know too much about Vera so I cannot really debate it. However, I am certain that even though Vera has a competent ground game, it is definitely not at Werdum's level. Not only is Werdum a really strong grappler, he is also very difficult to finish so Vera is going to have his hands full.

If Vera were to win, I see it during the earlier rounds. If it goes the distance, I think Werdum will grind it out for a decision (or a 3rd submission). Also, (to me) it sounds like you don't like Tim Sylvia much.

I’m not a big fan of either. I can’t stand Vera’s attitude and Tim isn’t the most exciting fighter since IMHO he stopped using Steroids he can’t finish fights and is not near as good and Explosive/Quick as he use to be. If Arlovski’s not so great chin didn’t run into his big ol’ hand, I think that 2nd fight would have went the distance.

I’m just nowhere close to jumping onto the Werdum bandwagon. He looked absolutely horrible against Arlosvki and just because he beat one hit wonder, can’t take a punch Gonzaga everybody is screaming “Werdum #1 contender!” Plus everybody is underestimating Vera’s ground game. He’s a great wrestler with great submissions training with a black belt. I think the black belt BJJ trainer will help him defend submissions and his wrestling will be defending takedowns and if this fight does go to the ground IMO it will only be from a Vera strike or a Vera takedown with his wrestling. I don’t think Werdum will get him down. Vera won’t get close enough for a leg trip and I don’t think Werdum has great shots.

I think this fight will look like Shogun/Forrest. Got a great BJJ Black Belt with not so great shoot-in takedowns going against a good striker with good wrestling who won’t get close enough to allow you to trip him down.