Werdum vs Lesnar

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Werdum vs Lesnar
TimW001
8/10/08 3:08:32AM
I think this would be a great matchup! Much more interesting than Lesnar vs Kongo. And I can't think of anyone else in the UFC HW div.

War Werdum/Lesnar!
Twenty20Dollars
8/10/08 3:10:12AM
well werdum is already set to fight some new comer into the ufc.
TWITA
8/10/08 10:06:55AM
why? Look at what Mir did to Lesnar - Wedum would do the same thing.
Jlloyd
8/10/08 10:08:43AM
I'd rather see him face Kongo at the moment

build him up a bit, and give him chance to get experience before he fights the likes of Werdum
whardin19
8/10/08 10:15:08AM
Perferably he should have fought Hardonk next. But, since he has a fight it's probably going to be Kongo. Werdum is just too BJJ oriented for Brock same thing would happen that happened in the Mir fight.
NinjaCyborg
8/10/08 12:41:16PM
I would really like to see Brock Lesnar fight Shane Carwin
nickcuc547
8/10/08 1:27:43PM
I think lesnar vs. kongo makes the most sense, chieck hits harder than anybody brock has seen.
TimW001
8/10/08 2:10:07PM
Kongo would get destroyed by Brock.

A person who is most likely to beat Brock is someone who has better wrestling. Because that's really what I mostly saw him use on Herring. So someone like Carwin or Cain could be a very interesting matchup.
Pookie
8/10/08 2:14:38PM

Posted by nickcuc547

I think lesnar vs. kongo makes the most sense, chieck hits harder than anybody brock has seen.

...other than herring
sparky
8/10/08 3:11:56PM
forget all those match ups can ne one say brock lesnar vs mark coleman!!!!! and i only want it for one reason......so brock lesnar can ground and pound him out......mark coleman is too old to still be tryin to fight i believe........and he a very disrespectful fighter i jus believe he needs to give it up and i think brock would help him realize that!!!!
Cdellorso
8/10/08 4:19:00PM

Posted by TWITA

I dont thir Mir would beat lesnar if they fought again.
Think about this- Brock really sucks at submissions-
not great at the gnp yet either - he looked pretty darn good on his feet.....
POINT...............
He has a lot of room for improvement- thats scary-

I know werdum is already booked but i still like brock in that fight

Cdellorso
8/10/08 4:22:13PM

Posted by TimW001

Kongo would get destroyed by Brock.

A person who is most likely to beat Brock is someone who has better wrestling. Because that's really what I mostly saw him use on Herring. So someone like Carwin or Cain could be a very interesting matchup.

I doubt either of those guys are better wrestlers.
They are just younger.
I think that you need to catch him with a great punch or you need to submit him from the bottom. Great BJJ will beat a great wrestler with weak sub defense.
stock
8/11/08 9:38:15AM
I would really like to see Lesnar fight Kongo next.
I hate watching Kongo fight as he does absolutely nothing on the ground. I want to see him get pounded out badly.
After that, maybe someone like Gonzaga. If he wins both those fights in dominating fashion, maybe a title fight.

The problem I had with the Herring fight had nothing to do with Lesnar. For a guy in his 3rd (ever) MMA fight, he looked absolutely spectacular against an above average verteran 250# heavyweight.
I hated how every time it went to the ground, Herring would just turtle up so Brock could not punch him without punching him in the back of the head.

I really understand the safety issue with the whole "punches to the back of the head" thing... I really do.
However, I think this just causes many more fights to go to decision and causes people to complain about guys not being able to finish.
This is his 3rd fight. He has only been training MMA for a little over 2 years. Of course he is not going to finish a lot of guys with good ground defense (I think a guy that Big Nog could not finish 2/3 of the time qualifies for a guy with good defense on the ground.).

I think Brock can only get better. The problem for him is going to be able to get some big enough BJJ guys for him to train with.
mikevolz
8/11/08 9:56:30AM
i hope lesnar fights kongo, so i can make money off the parlay.

brock will outweigh him by at least 50 lbs. and you thought he manhandled herring?

werdum and gonzaga would both be interesting matchups. i think if they give him a long lay off like they did for this one, he'll take it.submission defense is much easier to learn than offense.and hes at a good camp for it.
DCRage
8/11/08 9:59:23AM
Werdum-Lesnar won't happen for a while if Werdum wins his next fight, he's guaranteed a title shot if he does. Rumor mill after 87 has been suggesting Kongo is next for Lesnar, which makes sense as a potential "title eliminator" fight.
gsquat
8/11/08 10:24:35AM
I think you'd see more of the same from Brock against Werdum. However, that matchup won't happen. My first thought was Kongo, just because I don't see the UFC giving Lesnar a lower ranked opponent after Herring.
fullerene
8/11/08 10:30:33AM
Kongo is a fight to make Lesnar look good. Werdum is a fight that will make Lesnar look bad.

I think what the UFC would like to see happen is for Lesnar to fight Kongo and win, and have Werdum fight the Nog-Mir winner. After that, Lesnar can be signed for a 1 fight deal to fight for the title, lose, and go on to his next sport.
Kracker_Jap
8/11/08 11:01:52AM

Posted by TWITA

I wonder if it has ever crossed anybodies mind if they think that Mir will be able to do that again???

I mean every 6 months of training you allow Lesnar to do just really equals a more fierce beast..... Right??
gsquat
8/11/08 11:19:22AM

Posted by fullerene

Kongo is a fight to make Lesnar look good. Werdum is a fight that will make Lesnar look bad.

I think what the UFC would like to see happen is for Lesnar to fight Kongo and win, and have Werdum fight the Nog-Mir winner. After that, Lesnar can be signed for a 1 fight deal to fight for the title, lose, and go on to his next sport.

You're delusional.
MikeyG
8/11/08 11:22:42AM

Posted by gsquat

I think you'd see more of the same from Brock against Werdum. However, that matchup won't happen. My first thought was Kongo, just because I don't see the UFC giving Lesnar a lower ranked opponent after Herring.

More of the same brock as in leaving openings for a better JJ expert like Werdum to take advantage of and submit him fairly easy, than yeah

And how do you have Herring ranked higher than Werdum? thats insane
gsquat
8/11/08 11:27:12AM

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by gsquat

More of the same brock as in leaving openings for a better JJ expert like Werdum to take advantage of and submit him fairly easy, than yeah

WTF are you talking about. I don't have Herring ranked higher than Werdum. I simply said they're not going to feed Werdum to Lesnar just yet. And yes... feed. Heath never had a chance to sub Brock and he'll only be better at jj defense in his next fight. What happened in the Mir fight will never happen again. If you want to remain ignorant to Brock's skill after that fight, thats your problem.
MikeyG
8/11/08 4:41:59PM

Posted by gsquat

Posted by MikeyG

Posted by gsquat

WTF are you talking about. I don't have Herring ranked higher than Werdum. I simply said they're not going to feed Werdum to Lesnar just yet. And yes... feed. Heath never had a chance to sub Brock and he'll only be better at jj defense in his next fight. What happened in the Mir fight will never happen again. If you want to remain ignorant to Brock's skill after that fight, thats your problem.

Settle down, I misread something thinking you had thought that Herring was higher than Werdum.

I never claimed to be "ignorant to brocks skill" just dont think he'll go too far in this sport without a well rounded game and JJ defense since he fights like Sherk does, except Sherk has awesome sub defense.
Wolfenstein
8/11/08 5:26:59PM
Werdum's jiu-jitsu is too good for Lesnar right now. It's a level above Frank Mir. He's a two time Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu world champion, 2007 ADCC world heavyweight champion and European Jiu-Jitsu champion.

Right now I believe Werdum is getting a tune-up fight as he is next in line for a shot at the HW belt.

Brock will probably fight Kongo, Christian Welisch, or Mark Coleman next.
imanidiot777
8/11/08 5:36:55PM
This might be too much to hope for, but I really wish the UFC would overpay Tim Sylvia for one fight just to let Lesnar destroy him. All Brock did was talk smack about how Tim suck's for letting Couture come up and beat him. Tim is the only guy who can weigh in around where Brock does and I bet Brock would still take him down easily, I don't care how good his take down defense is. Plus I really don't like TS at all, I want to see him get wrecked again now that he got wrecked by Fedor.