Which Welterweight would give GSP the toughest fight?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Which Welterweight would give GSP the toughest fight?
Next Page »
POLL: Which Welterweight would give gsp the toughest fight?
Jon Fitch 28% (21)
Thiago Alves 25% (19)
Diego Sanchez 16% (12)
Marcus Davis 12% (9)
Carlos Condit 12% (9)
other 8% (6)
nickcuc547
4/22/08 2:47:15PM
this poll was on sherdog, wanted to see what everybody thought and discuss.

personally i think diego sanchez, i don't think he would beat gsp but gsp dominates wrestlers like fitch, and i think he would tool davis on the ground as well as thiago alves. condit isn't strong enough for gsp.
diego is the only one that could sub him from the bottom. condit does too but diego is more slick and stronger. for that reason i think diego is the toughest fight.
Jackelope
4/22/08 3:12:15PM
I think Marcus Davis would. He could dominate GSP on the feet, and his TD defense is pretty decent. Combined with his raw strength I think that spells problems for GSP. In 2 more fights I say give Davis his shot. I'm betting he takes the belt.
JBatch
4/22/08 3:20:57PM

Posted by Jackelope

I think Marcus Davis would. He could dominate GSP on the feet, and his TD defense is pretty decent. Combined with his raw strength I think that spells problems for GSP. In 2 more fights I say give Davis his shot. I'm betting he takes the belt.

At this point in time I would have to half way agree. Davis could give GSP nightmares standing and he has proven to be calm from the bottom position, yet can be subbed. IMO right now he is the toughest fight, but I don't see him winning. GSP will go on a run for a while.
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/22/08 3:27:28PM
i think fitch, but if davis wins a couple more he will ahve proven to me that he can
billycarnage
4/22/08 3:29:24PM
I am going with Diego as well for many reasons. He has a strong chin, knock out power, he is relentless in his attack and defense, he is always the aggressor, I think he would frustrate GSP.

Fitch doesn't measure up in any catagory except for strength but that wont help him against GSP.

Davis isn't quite there he would get finished.

Alves would be a great matchup where ever it goes but I think GSP would be more comfortable against him than Diego and could use more of his strengths.

Condit just doesn't match up well for the same reason posted.
L-Dahab_87
4/22/08 3:42:29PM

I don't think anyone can take GSP on the ground, he is an excellent wrester and JJ practitioner, and has is matured greatly since his arm bar loss to Hughes in 04' and TKO to Serra. Serra proved that he doesn't have an iron chin, so the best chance for a WW is an excellent striker with a solid take down defense. So as of now ima go with Marcus Davis, but i do think that with a little work Anthony "Rumble" Johnson has a legitimate chance at GSP.

If AJ worked on his sprawl and perfected his already lighting fast striking, he would have a great chance standing with GSP, an even greater chance than MD. After all, Serra did TKO GSP and AJ has TNT in both hands. With some improved take down defense and striking he could become the Liddell of the WW division and take GSP out. I believe he has the god given athleticism as well as the drive to one day challenge for the belt, whoever may hold it.Anthony "Rumble" Johnson
AchillesHeel
4/22/08 3:46:59PM
I would say that a good "sprawl n' brawl" fighter - a striker with power and excellent takedown defense - is GSP's potential nemesis. However, I'm not sure that such a fighter exists in the UFC's Welterweight division right now.

Alves and Davis are probably the closest to being that guy, but if they fought GSP in 3 months, I would put all my MMAPlayground money on GSP without thinking twice. I don't think either guy is "there" yet, and there's no guarantee they'll ever reach that level. Alves surprised me with his win over Parisyan, and Davis hasn't fought a single Top-10 fighter yet.

p.s. Sanchez has already shown that he can't handle great wrestlers, and GSP is better than Koscheck and Fitch.
coldchillin
4/22/08 3:47:46PM
I have to pretty much agree with everybody here and say Diego poses the biggest threat because he's more than willing to fight at GSP's frenetic pace. I think it could be a career-defining fight for Diego, he matches up with him stylistically better than any welterweight right now.

Davis could be an interesting fight but I'm pretty sure GSP would try to get this fight to the ground as quickly as possible and try to finish him from there. If he got cocky and tried to stand with Davis... well we all know The Irish Hand Grenade could easily knock anybody out @ 170. If Davis is able to Swick... the UFC should let Davis and Alves fight for the number 1 contender while GSP and Fitch fight for the title.

It'll be interesting to see if the Fitch fight goes like the Koscheck one where Koscheck got beat at his own game.

MMA
4/22/08 4:22:23PM
I think Alves is better at working off his back than Davis will be. I don't think either could stuff GSP's TD at this point in the game. Johnson is a very interesting prospect because he has good striking with KO power, a wrestling background, and reach advantage. All of the elements needed to beat GSP.

However, he's too green right now. We also need to see how good his conditioning is because GSP sets an incredible pace. Can he handle the riddum?
Mchubb316
4/22/08 4:44:38PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

I would say that a good "sprawl n' brawl" fighter - a striker with power and excellent takedown defense - is GSP's potential nemesis. However, I'm not sure that such a fighter exists in the UFC's Welterweight division right now.

Alves and Davis are probably the closest to being that guy, but if they fought GSP in 3 months, I would put all my MMAPlayground money on GSP without thinking twice. I don't think either guy is "there" yet, and there's no guarantee they'll ever reach that level. Alves surprised me with his win over Parisyan, and Davis hasn't fought a single Top-10 fighter yet.

p.s. Sanchez has already shown that he can't handle great wrestlers, and GSP is better than Koscheck and Fitch.

Alves and Davis have that KO power with good striking abiltiy. I think in the GSP Serra fight Serra was suprised when GSP took him down and did not think that was the game plan. Alves and Davis would both look to defend the takedown and try and exchange with GSP. Right now, I think GSP would still beat them but they could give him fits.
nickcuc547
4/22/08 4:45:48PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

i have to disagree with that statement. the koscheck fight never went tot the ground and the fitch fight was a razor thin decision (i had diego but it was so close). if anything diego has proved he can go out there and be competitive with a wrestler because he almost locked in a few subs. you have three different judges diego could have won a decision, the fight was that close.
Pitbull09
4/22/08 4:51:37PM
Thiago would be a good fight. Im not saying he would win but the only thing people are doubting in GSPs game right now is how good his striking is. If you want a guy to beat him in stand up, Alves is your guy. I think he has a chance in defending the takedown and brawling.

Fitch would be a good fight to but I feel it would be similar to Kos' fight with GSP. GSP would be able to dominate him on the ground and there would be nothing to do.

A fight with Alves would either crown a new champ or solidify that GSPs game is well balanced.

War Alves
billycarnage
4/22/08 5:10:07PM

Posted by nickcuc547

Posted by AchillesHeel

i have to disagree with that statement. the koscheck fight never went tot the ground and the fitch fight was a razor thin decision (i had diego but it was so close). if anything diego has proved he can go out there and be competitive with a wrestler because he almost locked in a few subs. you have three different judges diego could have won a decision, the fight was that close.

ObsoleteMan
4/22/08 5:26:00PM
I really don't see why Fitch is seen as any kind of threat to GSP. His wrestling creditials are nothing next to Koscheck's (captain of Division I team is pretty good, but going undefeated in your junior year is on another level), and even if his striking is better than Kos, it won't matter when he's on his back the entire fight. And that's assuming GSP thinks Fitch's striking is a threat. If he doesn't, the fight'll be on the feet the entire time, and there's nothing Fitch could do about that, either.

Diego may be able to sub him from his back, but BJ and Serra didn't have much to offer there, and they've much better BJJ records. They're both natural lightweights, to be fair, but I don't think Diego is exactly a massive welterweight, either. And in any case, "Nightmare" probably wouldn't get a chance to find out, because he'd get beat standing, a la Kos/Sanchez.

Ultimately, I don't think there's a submission artist or wrestler in the UFC that GSP couldn't wreck; just look at his record, he's already beaten the best wrestlers and 2 of the best BJJ guys. The only kind of fighter GSP hasn't been tested against is a quality striker, so of that list, I think Marcus Davis is the best choice. Thiago Alves has been outwrestled before, and doesn't seem to have the flash-KO power that Davis has in his hands. Davis has the best chance to catch him early in a round, before landing on his back.
bayonetxwork
4/22/08 5:34:50PM

Posted by Jackelope

hmm, I'm not sure if I'm ready to call Davis BEATING gsp, but he would put up a good fight. hes got an interesting style. Hes got excellent hands, but from what I've seen, he very rarely lets them go. And as everyone has seen lately, his jits is posing a serious threat for anyone who wants to go to the ground. I'm not sure if he'll be able to get a title shot, just because I don't think he could get through a guy like Fitch, Hughes, or even Diego for that matter because they could all take him down, control him, and stay out of subs.
AchillesHeel
4/22/08 5:37:28PM

Posted by nickcuc547

So you think that either...

(a) Koscheck and Fitch are as good as GSP, because you're saying those fights suggest that Sanchez can hang with GSP, even though he lost both, or...

(b) that Sanchez is better than Penn and Serra, who are also BJJ submissions guys, who could only really threaten GSP while the fight was on its feet.

Neither rings true for me. I also thought Diego did well against Fitch, but it was clear that Fitch's wrestling is what gave Diego problems, and I think GSP is a better wrestler than Fitch. Also, I think the loss to Serra actually makes it less likely that he could beat GSP by sheer aggressiveness.

Diego has as much of a chance to land a big hit as anybody else, I suppose, but that's about it. He does nothing better than GSP, and nothing better than people GSP has already spanked.

imho, the next person to defeat GSP will most likely be a type of fighter he hasn't faced yet, and not just a "capable" one, a great one... a welterweight Chuck Liddell, in other words. Nobody fits that bill today. Thiago Alves, Marcus Davis, and Anthony Johnson could be that fighter, but none of them is ready to take out of the oven yet.
Pitbull09
4/22/08 7:11:17PM
Diego just came off loses to both Kos and Fitch.

Kos lost to GSP in three round of domination on the ground (which was suppose be where Kos wanted to go)

Fitch is still dependable looking at the fighters he has gone against. Diego put up a lame fight for that as well.

To me, saying Diego is ready to fight the best in the WW division is pretty unlikely. Really, I am more excited to see the contenders fight each other as I think theyre better match ups and at the same level.

A level
GSP
Hughes (He's still up here cause I think other than GSP, he dominates the divison)

B level
Jon Fitch
Thiago Alves
Marcus Davis
Kos

C level (this is going to make people pissed lol)
Karo (Hes not the same and I dont see him coming close to being a contender again)
Diego (He was up there but lost two straight fights to the contenders which forces me to bring him down.

F level
Serra
nickcuc547
4/22/08 7:15:28PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by nickcuc547

(a) Koscheck and Fitch are as good as GSP, because you're saying those fights suggest that Sanchez can hang with GSP, even though he lost both, or...

(b) that Sanchez is better than Penn and Serra, who are also BJJ submissions guys, who could only really threaten GSP while the fight was on its feet.

Neither rings true for me. I also thought Diego did well against Fitch, but it was clear that Fitch's wrestling is what gave Diego problems, and I think GSP is a better wrestler than Fitch. Also, I think the loss to Serra actually makes it less likely that he could beat GSP by sheer aggressiveness.

Diego has as much of a chance to land a big hit as anybody else, I suppose, but that's about it. He does nothing better than GSP, and nothing better than people GSP has already spanked.

imho, the next person to defeat GSP will most likely be a type of fighter he hasn't faced yet, and not just a "capable" one, a great one... a welterweight Chuck Liddell, in other words. Nobody fits that bill today. Thiago Alves, Marcus Davis, and Anthony Johnson could be that fighter, but none of them is ready to take out of the oven yet.

no i just think the only way to beat gsp, (besides ko like serra) is a sub from the bottom, and diego has the best chance of doing that over every other welterweight. i think bj penn is the only guy who can give him a run for his money, but in the welterweight division right now i think diego has the best chance.
billycarnage
4/22/08 7:20:35PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by nickcuc547

The question is who would give GSP the toughest fight not who would win.

I think that it was Fitch’s size and strength as opposed to his wrestling technique that gave Diego trouble. And “razor thin” is accurate IMO.

Fighters all match up differently so since Serra beat GSP that doesn’t make him better than everyone GSP has beat Hughes, Penn etc. I think that is pretty naïve to say.

Diego would put up a fight and cause him fits. He has never come close to being finished. And I have a hard time using his fight against Koscheck as any measure of his wrestling or stand up capabilities. I don’t think GSP would finish him either. It would be a 5 round brawl.
NatedawgThaM
4/22/08 9:40:38PM
Fitch will give him a hell of a fight just because he is just as big as GSP so unlike every other GSP fight, it won't look like a Middleweight or Light Heavyweight beating on a lightweight or welterweright. Also his wrestling adapts really well to MMA even though he wasn't all that great in college and his stand up is just as good since GSP's is a little overrated since he's only really looked good against wrestlers. And Fitch can take a punch, unlike GSP who hasn't proven he can.

Diego would definitely give him hell. You don't finish Diego Sanchez. He's tough as hell with a good chin, and gave Marcelo Garcia a tough fight grappling wise so GSP wouldn't submit IMHO. So I don't see GSP finishing him. Diego is too damn explosive and he looked ripped in his last fight so he will give GSP problems wrestling. Plus Diego is like a pitbull, relentless, he never stops coming for 5 full rounds and no doubt in my mind Diego would beat GSP in a five round fight since I can't see GSP keeping up with a healthy Diego's pace that long if he does not finish him early.

But IMHO his biggest threat will be later this year or early next year after he develops and beats the quality opponents. His name is Anthony "Rumble" Johnson!!! He's freakin huge for a welterweight and like Fitch and GSP, looks like a middleweight beating on a lightweight. His reach is sick and no doubt he would absolutely destroy GSP on the feet, it wouldn't even be funny or even fun to watch. Just sick. That sick reach and power. He has a good sprawl as you saw against Speer. The only question is cardio and sub defense but that's only questioned in a fight he took on a weeks notice against an experience underrated veteran in Rich Clementi when he was fighting at 160 or 165. He didn't cut weight properly and that wasn't even his weight class. It was like asking an offensive lineman to cut down to the size of a running back. HE WILL BE THE CHAMP BY 2010!!!
chubbud22
4/22/08 9:53:45PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Fitch will give him a hell of a fight just because he is just as big as GSP so unlike every other GSP fight, it won't look like a Middleweight or Light Heavyweight beating on a lightweight or welterweright. Also his wrestling adapts really well to MMA even though he wasn't all that great in college and his stand up is just as good since GSP's is a little overrated since he's only really looked good against wrestlers. And Fitch can take a punch, unlike GSP who hasn't proven he can.

Diego would definitely give him hell. You don't finish Diego Sanchez. He's tough as hell with a good chin, and gave Marcelo Garcia a tough fight grappling wise so GSP wouldn't submit IMHO. So I don't see GSP finishing him. Diego is too damn explosive and he looked ripped in his last fight so he will give GSP problems wrestling. Plus Diego is like a pitbull, relentless, he never stops coming for 5 full rounds and no doubt in my mind Diego would beat GSP in a five round fight since I can't see GSP keeping up with a healthy Diego's pace that long if he does not finish him early.

But IMHO his biggest threat will be later this year or early next year after he develops and beats the quality opponents. His name is Anthony "Rumble" Johnson!!! He's freakin huge for a welterweight and like Fitch and GSP, looks like a middleweight beating on a lightweight. His reach is sick and no doubt he would absolutely destroy GSP on the feet, it wouldn't even be funny or even fun to watch. Just sick. That sick reach and power. He has a good sprawl as you saw against Speer. The only question is cardio and sub defense but that's only questioned in a fight he took on a weeks notice against an experience underrated veteran in Rich Clementi when he was fighting at 160 or 165. He didn't cut weight properly and that wasn't even his weight class. It was like asking an offensive lineman to cut down to the size of a running back. HE WILL BE THE CHAMP BY 2010!!!

GSP will destroy Fitch and then everone can start talking about who is going to "give him trouble next" since we will have to wait that long for Anthony "Rumble Johnson" to work on his ground game. PM after GSP demolishes Fitch with who you think will be "trouble" for GSP next.
Pookie
4/22/08 9:55:16PM
BJ Penn.
chubbud22
4/22/08 9:59:41PM

Posted by Pookie

BJ Penn.

Only one that stands a chance
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
4/22/08 10:30:33PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Fitch will give him a hell of a fight just because he is just as big as GSP so unlike every other GSP fight, it won't look like a Middleweight or Light Heavyweight beating on a lightweight or welterweright. Also his wrestling adapts really well to MMA even though he wasn't all that great in college and his stand up is just as good since GSP's is a little overrated since he's only really looked good against wrestlers. And Fitch cat take a punch, unlike GSP who hasn't proven he can.

fitch standup as good as gsp? your a hater. have you ever watched gsp fight before? you know hes a kyokushin black belt dont you? cant take a punch? he took a good 40 punches from serra and still wasn ko'd. he tapped out.

looked ripped in his last fight so will give gsp problems wrestling? looking ripped does not make you a better wrestler. gsp cant keep up with healthy diego? lmao , gsp has never gassed in a fight and trains just as hard if not harder.

tommy spear got taken down by mac danzig, a true light weight. comparing aj stuffing tommy spears shots to gsp is just plain stupid. gsp is not only bigger and stronger then spears, hes a much better wrestler. he will also be able to mix up striking and take downs unlike tommy who has no strikes wutsoever. we all know you hate chuck lidell and gsp , but please do us a favour and stfu.

Posted by Pookie

BJ Penn.

grappler0000
4/22/08 11:20:29PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM
...Diego is like a pitbull, relentless, he never stops coming for 5 full rounds...

When did he fight 5 rounds?

...he looked ripped in his last fight so he will give GSP problems wrestling

Why would he give GSP problems wrestling when nobody else has? And what does being ripped have to do with that?

You've been reluctant to recognize GSP's abilities so far, but I think you'll come around after the Fitch fight.

chubbud22
4/22/08 11:26:41PM

Posted by grappler0000

Posted by NatedawgThaM
...Diego is like a pitbull, relentless, he never stops coming for 5 full rounds...

When did he fight 5 rounds?

SociopathX
4/22/08 11:56:20PM
Thiago Alves imo
KlobberYoFace
4/23/08 4:15:19AM
Of the above mentioned I think people are seriously overlooking Jake Shields. Obviously Fitch and Alves are at the top of the contention in the weightclass, but I think with Shields slick boxing he could trade with GSP, no K.O. though. I think Shields could probably catch GSP with a submission but it would not be easy by any means. At any rate I don't see anybody on the list beating GSP anytime soon
CornishMMA
4/23/08 5:34:38AM
LOL at Marcis Davis, for the same reasons most others on that list have little to no chance against GSP, takedowns ahoy! if GSP was to stand with them tho then yeah Davis and Alves would have a chance.

Fitch is obviously the best WW there, he is so big he may have som ejoy stopping some GSP takedowns, but Georges could pwn him in the standup so that dont matter
CornishMMA
4/23/08 5:38:23AM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Too late on the bandwagon dude - sorry to point this out but you picked Speer to beat Johnson by KO/TKO in Round 1 so from that to Johnson KOing him in 1 min and you now think all that
Pages: [1] 2