The Welterweight division.

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » The Welterweight division.
DevonFoxy
5/15/08 10:28:40PM
So I was thinking about the division and everyone knows GSP's next fight is going to be John Fitch and rightfully so. Fitch is on a winning streak not seen in a very long time and some can claim its long over due but the question I have on my mine who rumbles with the winner of that fight?

UFC 85 and UFC 86 will tell us alot on this imo. We have three matches for the top WW in title contention with Marcus Davis, Thiago Alves, and Josh Koscheck. These are just my picks for the top three but I think all these fighters with a win have a legitimate claim for a title shot. The crazy thing is these three fighters have a great chance in loosing their next matches as the are fighting other top competition. So I was wondering how you guys think this is going to play out.

I'd like to hear first how you guys think the Three matches in question go and what happens from there.
candynuts
5/15/08 10:53:47PM
To be honest if Alves wins he should get it. Surely beating Karo and Hughes (IF he beats him) and would also have a 6 fight win streak in the UFC if he beats Hughes.

Definately Alves.

If Alves loses, Im not sure.

Kos could beat Lytle and then fight Davis (granted he wins his fight with Swick). For #1 contention perhaps? (Davis would have a 7 and potentially 8 fight winning streak if he beats Swick and beats Kos).

Damn, just trying to figure this out really reminds me just how stacked this division is!

DevonFoxy
5/15/08 11:11:45PM

Posted by candynuts

To be honest if Alves wins he should get it. Surely beating Karo and Hughes (IF he beats him) and would also have a 6 fight win streak in the UFC if he beats Hughes.

Definately Alves.

If Alves loses, Im not sure.

Kos could beat Lytle and then fight Davis (granted he wins his fight with Swick). For #1 contention perhaps? (Davis would have a 7 and potentially 8 fight winning streak if he beats Swick and beats Kos).

Damn, just trying to figure this out really reminds me just how stacked this division is!

Exactly this division is so crazy its hard to fight up to the top.

Personally I think If Alves wins he'll probably get the next shot though I personally think he will have a very tough time winning against Hughes.

We than have the Davis vs Swick fight gonna be pretty explosive and I personally have Davis winning but Swick can just as easily win this fight as he could loose it so its very hard.

Then the Koscheck Lytle Fight. Lytle can win this fight and start his climb or Koscheck wins (who im picking) and when we look at his record the only loss he has since 2005 is against the WW champion GSP.

The way I'm seeing it if everything goes as I think it will (which is not likely).

Koscheck will fight Davis and this will set up a Koscheck GSP rematch.
Perhaps could be TUF coaches but personally I'd love to see a BJ Penn vs GSP TUF but holding up two titles would really agitate me.