Who would welcome UFC tournaments back?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Who would welcome UFC tournaments back?
POLL: Bring back UFC tournaments?
YES 70% (38)
NO 30% (16)
tomp6581
4/9/08 12:35:27PM
One of the things Pride did well was their Tournaments. I for one would love to see the UFC adopt this again somehow.

I would like to see other people opinions on this.
babytater03
4/9/08 12:40:26PM
I'd love to see them have the Tournaments.

One of the things that drew me to MMA and the UFC was UFC 4. I loved the tournaments from back in the day. And thoroughly enjoyed PrideFC's tournaments.
tomp6581
4/9/08 12:47:55PM

Posted by babytater03

I'd love to see them have the Tournaments.

One of the things that drew me to MMA and the UFC was UFC 4. I loved the tournaments from back in the day. And thoroughly enjoyed PrideFC's tournaments.

Royce Gracie's win over Severn at UFC 4 is one of my fav mma monents. Jim Browns reaction was great.

ah...the old days...
chubbud22
4/9/08 12:51:01PM
It would be great to have a UFC tourny. Especially a open weight grand prix, but they would have to do it in another country, but how sick would that be?
Cladrix
4/9/08 12:59:49PM
They dont have to do it in another country anymore........ Strikeforce (of was it Elite XC) had a tourney.......... a 4 man tourney but it was still a tourney. YAMMA is having an 8 man tournament in Atlantic City, New Jersey.... and they got commissioned.

I would love for them to to do a tournament style with 16 fighters and spread it out during three events like PRIDE did.
Twenty20Dollars
4/9/08 1:06:27PM
I would personally not like to see tournaments. i like ufc how it is now, if it aint broke then dont fix it
emfleek
4/9/08 1:15:07PM
If they were to do any kind of tournament now, I wouldn't want it all on the same card. Spread the rounds out over a few different events. I would want to see the fighters when they're in the best shape/condition possible. I don't want to see someone like a James Irvin, who scores an 8 second knockout, face someone with damn near zero cardio after a 3-round slugfest without having much of a resting period before their next match.
CantAndleDaRiddum
4/9/08 1:43:11PM
i would liek to see tourneys, but just one or 2 a year tops.
hodge
4/9/08 1:53:05PM
Tournaments rule Dana needs to stop thinking about making as much money as possible and think about the fans.
JBatch
4/9/08 2:23:50PM

I've seen this thread so many times on so many sites. I would love to see them back but do not see the UFC implementing them. TUF is the closest thing to a good tournament we are going to get to see from the UFC.
nix7777
4/9/08 5:53:25PM
i would love to c an open weight tourney they could do a once a year tournament with a huge purse to ensure that the competion is good and it could boost a fighters rankings. I'm pretty sure it would blow away any ppv in the year.
skatenate
4/9/08 7:37:11PM
id like to see them happen, but not on a regular basis, i like ufc the way it is, but one a yeard or something could be good.
tberg420
4/9/08 7:42:05PM

Posted by hodge

Tournaments rule Dana needs to stop thinking about making as much money as possible and think about the fans.

Are you being serious?
IriShame
4/9/08 8:03:37PM
I think tournaments would be badass. Spread them over 2 or 3 events so guys don't have to fight more than once a night. It would be a great way to crown a champ for vacated or stripped belts. Instead of just picking two guys haveing them fight and calling one a champ. I don't really get that.
jgtribbett
4/9/08 8:10:06PM
yeah i do.. so all the wrestlers come out on top for a while.. haha jk
Franklinfan47
4/9/08 8:18:38PM
Ya i think it would be interesting and fun for the funs. I mean, why not?
fullerene
4/9/08 9:42:48PM
Some of my fondest MMA (actually nhb) mermories come from tournaments and tournaments are still the norm in most combat competitions--wrestling, sub grappling, judo, karate, amateur boxing. It adds a lot of drama to the fights and events and gives the fans a chance to see matchups they might not get a chance to normally.

But I still voted 'no'. The reason is that in sports where you can sustain a lot of damage in a fight--such as MMA or MT--there is too much of an advantage in having an easy fight and facing someone who's had a tough fight. WIns and losses are important to a fighter's career nowadays and a lot of guys are either not going to fight when they are tired or injured or do damage to their marketability by not giving a good showing. Some of the worst wins and losses in MMA history--TK over Fedor, Harold Howard over Gracie, Coleman over Fujita--have been the result of previous tournament matchups and are fights which shouldn't have taken place when they did.

Another way of asking is whether you would want to see your favorite fighter fight a grueling 3 round decision and then take on a tough fighter a half hour later who had won by easy TKO. Are you willing to see your guy lose or get an injury aggravated to preserve the integrity of the tournament? I don't think most people are.
wolfman
4/9/08 9:50:50PM

Posted by fullerene

Some of my fondest MMA (actually nhb) mermories come from tournaments and tournaments are still the norm in most combat competitions--wrestling, sub grappling, judo, karate, amateur boxing. It adds a lot of drama to the fights and events and gives the fans a chance to see matchups they might not get a chance to normally.

But I still voted 'no'. The reason is that in sports where you can sustain a lot of damage in a fight--such as MMA or MT--there is too much of an advantage in having an easy fight and facing someone who's had a tough fight. WIns and losses are important to a fighter's career nowadays and a lot of guys are either not going to fight when they are tired or injured or do damage to their marketability by not giving a good showing. Some of the worst wins and losses in MMA history--TK over Fedor, Harold Howard over Gracie, Coleman over Fujita--have been the result of previous tournament matchups and are fights which shouldn't have taken place when they did.

Another way of asking is whether you would want to see your favorite fighter fight a grueling 3 round decision and then take on a tough fighter a half hour later who had won by easy TKO. Are you willing to see your guy lose or get an injury aggravated to preserve the integrity of the tournament? I don't think most people are.

Nicely said. I'm not going to lie, it would be sweet to see another tournament. However, the risks involved outweigh the positives. So, I agree with you and emfleek. You summed it up perfectly. Props to you.
Aether
4/10/08 2:18:55PM
it's never going to happen. This topic had been revisited so many times. Ultimately what it comes down to is no athletic commission will sanction any fighter to fight more than once in the space of one night, and if the fighter who wins sustains even a small amount of damage (tiny cuts, or even just a couple of shots to the head with no visible repercussions) the athletic commission would also require him to take at LEAST several weeks off, up to potentially several months off if they sustain more damage.

The only way a tournament could happen is spaced out over a pretty long period of time or if it was done in a different part of the world, but the entire reason the UFC became a legitimate organization is they put themselves under the blanket of athletic commission sanctions.

This isn't going to happen no matter how much anyone wants it to. If you want to see tournaments you're going to have to watch japanese orgs. simple as that.
MMA_Alex
4/10/08 2:45:22PM
I say yes, but NOT with all the fights in the same night. Have it over multiple cards.
JDP_6375
4/11/08 12:14:40AM
I agree with you. When UFC did tourney's the goal was to end the fight ASAP b/c you needed to fight again shortly after. I like seeing two good fighters go 5 rounds for a certin title. I don't think you would see a guy like Nate Diaz beating Rampage Jackson in a open weight fight unless Rampage ate Oxy Coten before the fight. Weight classes & structure is better. That's why the UFC when from the poorhouse to the penthouse. We should leave well enough alone.
fonduktoe
4/11/08 3:50:22AM
tournaments in the ufc would be hardcore but i guarantee it will never happen anytime soon, if ever. their current format will remain unchanged for a long time. they have already shot down lucrative deals with major networks and premium channels because they will not give up their creativbe control,
that to me says they are perfectly content to keep things they way they are.
State_Champ
4/11/08 2:28:37PM
tournaments would be cool
just have one every so often, like maybe once a year
open weight would be very interesting