Weightlifting at young age?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Weightlifting at young age?
Ultimate_fighter
3/4/08 11:52:02PM
Is 15 too young to go hard on weights? I go pretty hard, and only had one problem , it was my back, i would lift without straightening my back, i like to test myself as much as possible. Im 15 5'10 205 to 210lbs. is it healthy for me?
cmill21
3/4/08 11:55:56PM
I would take it easy with lighter weight and more reps. A freinds of mines dad lifted alot of weights when he was younger(13) and he ended up waking up in the middle of the night screaming from joint and back pain.
hotrodttt
3/5/08 12:12:52AM
Yeah I'm 17 and I lift weights but and I haven't stoped growing yet, I grew like 3 inches over the summer and my Doctor told me I'm going to be at least 6'2 and now I'm 5'11 165 but I Wrestle at 147's. I Max out at about 285 but one time when I was lifting with my brother who is a beast and he gets 470 Pounds up he told me to try 315 and I did and I got it halfway up until I sharded which wasn't good and I went to get it check and my Doctor say's I almost had a Hernia so I don't strain myself when I lift anymore so as Cmil says I go light weightd and more reps with the occasional max out.
cmill21
3/5/08 12:54:29AM

Posted by hotrodttt

Yeah I'm 17 and I lift weights but and I haven't stoped growing yet, I grew like 3 inches over the summer and my Doctor told me I'm going to be at least 6'2 and now I'm 5'11 165 but I Wrestle at 147's. I Max out at about 285 but one time when I was lifting with my brother who is a beast and he gets 470 Pounds up he told me to try 315 and I did and I got it halfway up until I sharded which wasn't good and I went to get it check and my Doctor say's I almost had a Hernia so I don't strain myself when I lift anymore so as Cmil says I go light weightd and more reps with the occasional max out.

I've acctually had 4 hernia's in my 20 years on this earth.
hotrodttt
3/5/08 1:24:03AM

Posted by cmill21

Posted by hotrodttt

I've acctually had 4 hernia's in my 20 years on this earth.

How bad do they hurt ? I definatly don't want one
stock
3/5/08 9:48:47AM
I would say that age has nothing to do with it. I actually asked this question at a fitness/health conference (in which there were several strength and conditioning coaches in attendence, as well as physicians in sports medicine, and nutrition/wellness coaches), to which one of the coaches replied that "if you are old enough to grasp a dumbell, you are old enough to start lifting weights." He then looked around to see head nods from the rest of the panel. He went on to say that there are several FALSE beliefs that lifting weights at a young age can stunt growth, deform muscle/joint growth, among other things.

I think if you are getting horrible back pain, it is probably because you are lifting too heavy of weights and probably have bad form.
This will screw up your back regardless of your age.
seanfu
3/5/08 4:09:08PM
Weights aren't bad. Don't build your muscle faster than your tendons can compensate though. I did that my junior year on the wrestling team. You can get tendonitus.

Go big on calisthetics and remember that growing alone is gonna give you big enough gains.
blackburnman04
3/5/08 5:52:07PM
ive been weightlifting since my 14th birthday (last year). And i have never had any joint pain, sore muscles, etc. But then again thats probably because i only lift 20kg each arm with a dumbbell. If i am doing bicep curls.

Rush
3/5/08 7:47:51PM
The actual scientific data on whether weight lifting (heavy lifting and bodybuilding)stunts your growth or affects your development is inconclusive. There is evidence for and against it. The problems with these studies are that they do not look into long term effects (> 6-12 months) of lifting.

Light lifting is of course well known to be beneficial at any age. But being younger (not fully developed) does make you more susceptible to injury, which can cause problems down the road. Most people don't realize it, but you really shouldn't be having joint locks applied to your body until you are 16 years old or older.

My opinion, if you want to do weights, go for reps, not weight. However, I would recommend body weight exercises and core work (like yoga) and kettle bell work over weights any day. Most guys I knew that lifted a lot of weights in highschool were not that athletic (or strong overall) for that matter.
casey64
3/5/08 8:08:21PM
I started when i was 13 I am getting ready to be 15 so i have lifted for two years.I play football for high school so i lift more than just in the gym.I weigh 180 and benching 190 so i am getting there but i usually work out every day so i might be over doing it but the only pain i get is muscle growth pain thats about it