Weight Vest

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Weight Vest
Pitbull09
2/2/08 10:34:17PM
Just a quick question about what a weight vest could help me out with. Is it used for jogging and pull ups? And if it can be used for jogging, is that only working my legs. I apoligize for prob stupid questions.
danny81
2/3/08 12:49:05AM
can be ued for anything
Svartorm
2/3/08 4:36:33AM
Its most useful for building core stength, but helps with anything really. Walking or jogging effects core and leg strength, it makes body weight excercises harder, etc.

Be careful jogging with a heavy vest though, as it puts a ton of pressure on your knees that they're not used to right off. I think walking is best for that reason, and it goes wonders for back and abs.
Pitbull09
2/3/08 2:51:50PM

Posted by Svartorm

Its most useful for building core stength, but helps with anything really. Walking or jogging effects core and leg strength, it makes body weight excercises harder, etc.

Be careful jogging with a heavy vest though, as it puts a ton of pressure on your knees that they're not used to right off. I think walking is best for that reason, and it goes wonders for back and abs.

So if i wanted to use it jogging, you would suggest to just walk with it the first few times so i dont hurt my knees?
Svartorm
2/4/08 1:53:23AM
Depends how how large you are and how heavy the vest is. If you're 120lbs, don 't go jogging with a 100lb vest on. hehehe

Just be smart about it. If your knees or ankles start bugging you after walking a few miles, don't go jogging in it.
Jackelope
2/4/08 2:44:56PM
No offense here, but from the sounds of your question you don't know a whole ton about exercise. The weight vest is usually for elite athletes who need that extra edge in their training routines. Or for personnell who are going to be doing a lot of activity while toting around a lot of weight on their shoulders. (Firemen/Soldiers/Police) A beginner strapping on a weight vest leads to injuries and other problems. (I.E. the jogging thing which was talked about)

My personal thoughts would be to save up your money and work up to the point that you're not getting anything from working your ass off doing extremely intense routines, then get a weight vest.

Again, not trying to insult here, but there is so much potential you can reach without the added burden of a weight vest.
hado3
2/5/08 1:29:59AM
ya dude, what the guy above said was right. First you need to be able to do at least 50-75 pushups, or be able to do 5 one-arm pushups before u even need a weight vest. and don't wear it when your jogging, thats just rediculous. Unless u want to walk for 5 hours, their is no point to walk with one on either.

Weight vests are used for top-athletes. If u are gonna use it, use it for core training, pushups and pullups/chinups
slamdunk
2/5/08 5:59:30AM
what about ankle weights and wrist(hand) weights