Anyone do weight training

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » MMA Training » Anyone do weight training
Ultimate_fighter
5/3/07 8:04:26PM
I have some dumbells and a great gym, a block from my place. We have benchpress, dumbells, and some machines for the legs. What kinda weightlifting do you guys do?
Mastodon2
5/4/07 10:45:57AM
My gym has a decent amount of dumbells, unfortunately no barbells. I do a bit of free weights, and I do the machine weights aswell, but right now Im more interested in cutting all the fat I can to get as lean as possible.
fedorwins1
5/4/07 1:26:32PM
The big three mostly, bench, squat, and deadlift. Do some plyo's also like box jumps. Body weight exercises are underlooked by alot of people, especially pedastles great core workout!
Stickan
5/5/07 8:38:12AM

Posted by fedorwins1

The big three mostly, bench, squat, and deadlift. Do some plyo's also like box jumps. Body weight exercises are underlooked by alot of people, especially pedastles great core workout!

I base my weight lifting on those three exercises and usually go as low reps as possible.
Rush
5/16/07 9:45:28PM
An interesting point to put here (or any other weight lifting thread)...

I stopped weight lifting about 5 months ago. I am doing plyometrics now with lighter weight (of course) medicine balls and body weight.

I've dropped 7 pounds off my walking weight. At first I was concerned that I was losing muscle mass (due to not weight lifting) so today I tested my strength by lifting some weights. I was able to bench press the same weight I could back when I was lifting weights.

Bottom line, I am convinced that plyometrics are the exercises for me. I am just as strong (if not stronger) and I am a lot more explosive. I'm also 5-7 lbs lighter.
bayonetxwork
5/17/07 3:42:00PM

Posted by Rush

I stopped weight lifting about 5 months ago. I am doing plyometrics now with lighter weight (of course) medicine balls and body weight.

I've dropped 7 pounds off my walking weight. At first I was concerned that I was losing muscle mass (due to not weight lifting) so today I tested my strength by lifting some weights. I was able to bench press the same weight I could back when I was lifting weights.

Bottom line, I am convinced that plyometrics are the exercises for me. I am just as strong (if not stronger) and I am a lot more explosive. I'm also 5-7 lbs lighter.

IMO, bodyweight exercises/plyometrics are the best workouts you can do. If you want a killer do sets of plyometric push ups, pretty hard.
Rush
5/17/07 4:04:04PM
I do plyo push ups. I have a number of different types that I cycle through.

A couple of them GSP showed me.
-Virus-
5/26/07 8:01:13PM

Posted by bayonetxwork

Posted by Rush

IMO, bodyweight exercises/plyometrics are the best workouts you can do. If you want a killer do sets of plyometric push ups, pretty hard.

i agree with plyo they give me results
KillaMed87
6/12/07 6:14:16PM
I read a recent interview with tito ortiz were he said that he does no less then 20 reps and no more than 40 reps per set. The reason for this is you want to biuld power AND muscular endurance...so you can go the distance.

http://search.bodybuilding.com/search?q=mma&site=wwwbodybuilding&output=xml_no_dtd&client=wwwbodybuilding&proxystylesheet=wwwbodybuilding&getfields=description&filter=0

copy and paste this link...its all about MMA training on Bodybuilding.com
PeteD
6/15/07 1:13:31AM
I try to do as many Olympic style lifts as possible. ie. Deadlift, Cleans, etc... These are great for building that explosive power I use as my strength. I don't train to go long rounds, I train to end it in the first.
fedorwins1
6/15/07 2:39:02PM

Posted by PeteD

I try to do as many Olympic style lifts as possible. ie. Deadlift, Cleans, etc... These are great for building that explosive power I use as my strength. I don't train to go long rounds, I train to end it in the first.

I also do Olympic lifts also, clean and jerk and snatchs. I personally like to keep a balance of explosiveness and endurance. I do many many different types of weight training, our school has a strength and conditioning coach, so he makes us do sport specific training.

PeteD
6/16/07 4:49:20PM

Posted by fedorwins1

Posted by PeteD

I also do Olympic lifts also, clean and jerk and snatchs. I personally like to keep a balance of explosiveness and endurance. I do many many different types of weight training, our school has a strength and conditioning coach, so he makes us do sport specific training.

Ya, what makes weight training for mma so difficult is finding that balance between strength and endurance.
EEKS
6/17/07 3:00:26AM
I do weight cardio
Zyphus
7/2/07 12:37:47AM
Hang clean to front squats, it's an exercise that I personally hate but our trainer for football has us doing them and I can' t say that I have not seen big steps in my muscle mass.
danny81
7/2/07 2:09:24PM
Olympicc lifts

DL, front or back squat, Bench, pull ups, horrizontal rows, 1 arm OH press, 1 leg RDL, lunges. those are the necessary lifts
jdubs
7/2/07 10:11:59PM
squat, push press clean, cheating curls w/dumbells, bench.... and a sh&t load of core stuff. just basically specific stuff for my particular sport.. and i never never work out more that 40 minutes, i feel it is just too much stuff to do unless you are a body builder.
jdubs
7/2/07 10:13:15PM
oh and by the way that skinny dude in my pic is not me
Pandaiga
7/8/07 12:46:58PM
Start off with a major movement like bench, then work down to DB bench, pec flys, then move on to triceps and biceps. On alternate days do back and shoulders, movements such as wide lat pulls and db side raises, and of course shoulder press. On every third day do legs and abs, squat is very important, along with deadlift.