UFC Weigh-In Observations

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC Weigh-In Observations
JBatch
1/30/09 7:34:02PM
1. Fighters really taking advantage of the pound allowance.
2. Gono and Fitch are awesome.Loved the afro.
3. Nate Diaz vs. Clay Guda is going to be an absolutely amazing fight, I have it Nate in the 2nd but I want it to go the distance. I loved how Nate came out with his brother and Clay came out with his. One of the most intense staredowns I have seen.
4. Georges and BJ look extremely ready for this fight. GSPwill have about an 18 pound weight advantage come fight time.
5. I hope Karo can fight did not look in great shape.

Anyone else notice anything ?????

Can't wait, so very excited fo this card!!!!!!!
cowcatcher
1/30/09 7:41:50PM
im surprised bj isnt a little bigger, but i can see not wanting to bulk up too much when he knows he has to go back to 155 at some point fairly soon.

gono was hilarious as usual, and fitch showed he has a great sense of humor too, but how can you not when youre fighting gono. also, fitch and dana didnt get too friendly during their handshake, no shocker there.

i know bonnar is a big boy, and i was surprised jones was so close to his height.

i expected the clay and diaz staredown to be an intense one, and it certainly was. i cant stand nick, but nate has grown on me, nevertheless i hope guida gets the win, hes a guy i want to see face top level competition every time out because he tests everyone he fights. having to take a step down not only is bad for clay, but it sucks for the fans.

tomorrow is going to to be awesome!
kopower
1/30/09 7:42:45PM
karo usually looks like that. He's never been ripped but he did look a bit more pudgy. Btw can someone get Guida some ritalin. I know he's a hyper guy but holy crap. I got Nate by sub also but that should be fight of the night

Should be a great night of fights
bls1919
1/30/09 7:43:28PM
I missed the weigh in, so thanx for the info. I can't wait to see Diaz vs Guida. Oh and Gsp vs Bj
EvenFlow
1/30/09 7:44:26PM

Posted by cowcatcher

im surprised bj isnt a little bigger, but i can see not wanting to bulk up too much when he knows he has to go back to 155 at some point fairly soon.

gono was hilarious as usual, and fitch showed he has a great sense of humor too, but how can you not when youre fighting gono. also, fitch and dana didnt get too friendly during their handshake, no shocker there.

i know bonnar is a big boy, and i was surprised jones was so close to his height.

i expected the clay and diaz staredown to be an intense one, and it certainly was. i cant stand nick, but nate has grown on me, nevertheless i hope guida gets the win, hes a guy i want to see face top level competition every time out because he tests everyone he fights. having to take a step down not only is bad for clay, but it sucks for the fans.

tomorrow is going to to be awesome!

Thats funny Im the opposite abotu the Diaz's I cant stand Nate but I like Nick.

EDIT: cant wait for tomorrow either damn
cowcatcher
1/30/09 7:47:33PM
those guys are extremely polarizing and thats a good thing when it comes to promoting fights, so i have to give credit where its due, but nick has rubbed me the wrong way for a long time, and the incident with riggs at the hospital sealed his fate on my most hated fighters list. but i can see how people would like nick, its the whole WWF "bad guy that the fans love" thing that stone cold took advantage of.
JBatch
1/30/09 7:51:01PM
Also these guys have their weight down so precise that thier socks put them over weight.

Also Silva put on his glasses for the staredown don't know what it means but I found it a little strange.

I know Karo never has the true ripped physique but he looking really doughy this time.
EvenFlow
1/30/09 7:51:58PM

Posted by cowcatcher

those guys are extremely polarizing and thats a good thing when it comes to promoting fights, so i have to give credit where its due, but nick has rubbed me the wrong way for a long time, and the incident with riggs at the hospital sealed his fate on my most hated fighters list. but i can see how people would like nick, its the whole WWF "bad guy that the fans love" thing that stone cold took advantage of.

I'll be honest I dont even look at his "bad boy" attitude and I can understand why people hate him for it but what I look at is how much that guy loves to fight, I mean he literally loves to fight you cant say that truthfully about too many fighters imho. He's not a top 10 favorite of mine but hes up there just because hes a rare breed of fighter with the skill to back it up.
cowcatcher
1/30/09 7:59:58PM

Posted by EvenFlow

Posted by cowcatcher

I'll be honest I dont even look at his "bad boy" attitude and I can understand why people hate him for it but what I look at is how much that guy loves to fight, I mean he literally loves to fight you cant say that truthfully about too many fighters imho. He's not a top 10 favorite of mine but hes up there just because hes a rare breed of fighter with the skill to back it up.

ill give you that, the kids a fighter to the bone. he hasnt looked nearly as sharp since the gomi fight and i really think that all the coverage surrounding it really took its toll on him. i hope the guy gets back to looking like he did early on in his career in the ufc, that guy was fun to watch like him or not, lately hes just been a shell of that IMO.
tuvok500
1/30/09 8:00:39PM
Karo's problem seem to be more about his medication not sure to be allowed by the athletic commission, so since he did weigh-in i guess he will be clear.

I don't think he looked weak or fade, he looked calm witch is a good point for him, probably his medication work !!
I think he can surely make 155 since he still have a lot of fat at 170.

Wolfenstein
1/30/09 8:03:30PM

Posted by tuvok500

Karo's problem seem to be more about his medication not sure to be allowed by the athletic commission, so since he did weigh-in i guess he will be clear.

I don't think he looked weak or fade, he looked calm witch is a good point for him, probably his medication work !!
I think he can surely make 155 since he still have a lot of fat at 170.

In a recent interview he said he was prescribed xanax, but he hasn't taken it, because he's fearfull of the side effects.
Franklinfan47
1/30/09 8:10:22PM
Everyone on the prelims looked good. Gono and Fitch were hilarious and Obrien and Wellisch looked ripped at 205 .

I never realized how huge Bonnar is for a 205. Jon Jones is pretty close to his height, but I thought he looked a little scared, which is understandable being his first main card fight, let alone against the favorite, Bonnar.

Guida vs Diaz stare down was intense, cant wait to see this fight. I love to watch both these guys fight but I still think Diaz is gonna take him. Diaz has quite some height and reach on Guida, but not bulk.

Karo did look out of shape as usual compared to Kim, but that may just be his body type. I thought working with Jackson might change it, but apparently not. Hope Karo can fight tomorrow.

Wasn't really impressed with Silva putting on his glasses and trying to act tough to Lyoto. Just made him looked kinda foolish imo.

BJ-GSP staredown was also really intense. BJ just looks ready to go while Georges seemed more calm and composed, shaking his hand and what not. Can't wait!

hathcock32
1/30/09 8:35:48PM
-Just looking at them stare down...i have a feeling Manny vs Thiago will be a great fight that will get lost behind the Main Event. Hopefully we will see some finishes because i think this one will go the distance but be a war.

-Wow Guida Diaz staredown was insane. Should be a great fight

-Just realized how pumped i actually am for this card. Not only is it the best main event ever but Machida vs Silva, Guida vs Diaz, Karo, Fitch,Bonnar, LW battle, great undercard fights. Should be a great night of fights. Enjoy all!!

tuvok500
1/30/09 9:20:39PM

Posted by Franklinfan47

Everyone on the prelims looked good. Gono and Fitch were hilarious and Obrien and Wellisch looked ripped at 205 .

I never realized how huge Bonnar is for a 205. Jon Jones is pretty close to his height, but I thought he looked a little scared, which is understandable being his first main card fight, let alone against the favorite, Bonnar.

Guida vs Diaz stare down was intense, cant wait to see this fight. I love to watch both these guys fight but I still think Diaz is gonna take him. Diaz has quite some height and reach on Guida, but not bulk.

Karo did look out of shape as usual compared to Kim, but that may just be his body type. I thought working with Jackson might change it, but apparently not. Hope Karo can fight tomorrow.

Wasn't really impressed with Silva putting on his glasses and trying to act tough to Lyoto. Just made him looked kinda foolish imo.

BJ-GSP staredown was also really intense. BJ just looks ready to go while Georges seemed more calm and composed, shaking his hand and what not. Can't wait!

Karo never trained with Greg Jackson, he said that he talk to Greg at WEC and they talked on the phone after, and agreed about something, so he never really train with him yet but he is supposed to be a Greg Jackson member according to the phone call !! lol

Twenty20Dollars
1/30/09 10:42:16PM
John Howard for the win anyone?

I dont know yet.
mentalcase
1/31/09 12:15:13AM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

John Howard for the win anyone?

I dont know yet.

john Howard was our prime minister im surprised hes in the UFC now

anyway I'm so excited for this card my balls are tingling with anticipation
Mayhem13
1/31/09 12:55:32AM
looks like Machida bulked up a little bit to deal with SIlva..atleast to me he looks a lot bigger then before.

PABLOMAFIOSO
1/31/09 9:04:18AM
The weigh in was actually quite entertaining compared to the joke put on by Affliction the other week. Some funny moments including Gono weighing in at l7l with the fro and the Diaz/Guida staredown. Can't wait for Machida v Silva, I hope Lyoto isn't "elusive" enough and gets KTFO! GSP and BJ is worth stayin up until 3am(6 by the time its over) for
gartface
1/31/09 12:10:21PM

Posted by PABLOMAFIOSO

The weigh in was actually quite entertaining compared to the joke put on by Affliction the other week. Some funny moments including Gono weighing in at l7l with the fro and the Diaz/Guida staredown. Can't wait for Machida v Silva, I hope Lyoto isn't "elusive" enough and gets KTFO! GSP and BJ is worth stayin up until 3am(6 by the time its over) for

Machida won't be the one getting KTFO...Silva will be eating canvas.
GSPCanada
1/31/09 7:31:54PM
Lyoto looks huge, he normally weighs in at around 203 and he weighed in at 206 so im wondering how much weight he cut this time compared to other times

Clay looked hyper i know u all love it but im thinking back to his fight against danzig how rogan n goldberg couldnt stop talkin bout how great his enegery n conditionin were Im wonderin if that may have gotten to his head and maybe he didnt focus on technique (which is gonna b crucial) as much and focused mostly on conditioning

Gamburyan vs Thiago - going to be real interestign im sure these guys are used to having big disadvantages in reach so this could be fun to see if they brrawl

Penn vs GSP - yes bj was intense and gsp was calm which we expected the mnain thing i noticed is the handshake it didnt look like b really wanted 2 n he jus got it over with fast