UFC EVERY 2 WEEKS?!?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » UFC EVERY 2 WEEKS?!?
Ultimate_fighter
8/16/07 3:22:57PM
Rumour is that SpikeTV is trying to give UFC 100 Million to have UFC every on SpikeTV every 2 weeks... Wouldn't this be the best thing for UFC? I dont think UFC would have title fights or Top fighters on the shows tho... But i would watch any fight that is held in the Octagon!
Thoughts?
babalu2720
8/16/07 3:35:46PM
I'd like it that way we wouldn't have long layoofs like right now before UFC 74....and I think with the acquisiton of Pride we have a deep talent pool that could do this. I'd watch anyone fight as well, with that said I don't want the UFC sigining joe shmos just to fill out these cards, no disrespect to them because some of them will suprise, but not enough of them. Maybe they should just have like 1 hour shows on Spike with only 3 or 4 fights, but in the end the more fights the better.
DJDark41
8/16/07 4:13:10PM
If they had an event every two weeks, I think it would be a little much. Fighters would have to sit out like 6 events after a win, and even more after a loss. It would be nice to see an event every few weeks, but like babalu2720 said, I wouldn't want to see random dudes off the street fighting to fill card spots. I'd rather have a stacked event every month then 2 events a month full of nobodies.
EddieBowers
8/16/07 4:26:29PM
Here is the thing.. the UFC is not the only MMA event out there. I think with the IFL, WEC, Bodog, etc. we as MMA fans can see several MMA events. Some good, some bad. DO we really want MMA to go the way boxing is... 1 or 2 fights for 60-70 bucks a PPV, then the crap boxing fights you see for free on HBO and Showtime, etc.??? You can watch something MMA almost every night of the week.
catal77
8/16/07 5:03:45PM
it is good the way it is right now one good event with good fighters that people really want to see, then throw in a ufc fight night some time in between. and its true you can watch some mma almost every night of the week. just my .02 cents
chickmagnet
8/16/07 8:32:11PM
they should show fights that were never televised in past events
hippysmacker
8/16/07 8:58:10PM
I would love it every few weeks. i agree with Babalu that their talent pool is deep enough , and usually only 5 fights get shown per card anyway.The math makes sense to me, but I admit to not being a calculus genius

1. If they had 8 fight cards with 16 fighters per card
thats 32 fighters per month.
2. Most will be able or willing to fight at least 3 times a year. Many will want 4. I'll use 3 to be safe because some guys won't be willing or able to. Since most of the fighters are young and it great shape I think this will seem likely.
3. Even if we factor in a reasonably high injury rate of 1/3 per card. Half of those will not be major enough or suspended medically long enough to miss their next fight. So basically about 80% will be ready when their 4 months is up.
4. They are always bringing in new talent , and if this rumor is true will be letting go of very little. I beleive they will try to funnel fighters who are on a bad run into the WEC. They still haven't even brought over all the pride guys, and they have the money and exposure to sign most of them.
5. Japanase fighters- Specifically Shooto to me, these guys make very little money coming up in the Shooto system . Their is tons of talent( especially in the lighter weights) over there. Some already established , some on the way up that would want the chance to make the most money in the UFC.
6. Most fighters go where the most money is- there was a couple 1 or 2 year period where most of the established fighters went to Pride, because they were paying more money to fighters ( at least not those who weren't headliners). SInce the UFC has and will pay the most I think they will get and keep the overwhelming majority of the world top fighters.

Stickan
8/16/07 9:31:50PM
I'd love to see more fights. I find myself many times enjoying the UFN cards as much or even sometimes more than UFC cards. The up and comers are interesting and you can usually find good talent in the preliminaries of UFCs and UFNs.

The UFC doesn't have to pick up "bums" from the street. For you folks that don't know... there are PLENTY of really good talents out there not yet signed by the UFC.

The more the merrier applies on this case for me.
kevietre
8/16/07 11:03:11PM
I would love to see more UFC events however it would be too much of a struggle. Between venues, production,promotion, and talent it would be difficult to accomplish.
SpiderSilva
8/16/07 11:04:54PM

Posted by EddieBowers

Here is the thing.. the UFC is not the only MMA event out there. I think with the IFL, WEC, Bodog, etc. we as MMA fans can see several MMA events. Some good, some bad. DO we really want MMA to go the way boxing is... 1 or 2 fights for 60-70 bucks a PPV, then the crap boxing fights you see for free on HBO and Showtime, etc.??? You can watch something MMA almost every night of the week.

I dont know HBO always put on good fights well most of the time
any way I would love to see two shows amonth right now Im like a crackhead going through some withdrowls and I still have a week
mmmmmmmmmaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7 weeks is way too long
1 spike show and one PPV a month
DCRage
8/17/07 7:48:35AM

Posted by EddieBowers

HBO & Showtime aren't free. You have to pay to get those networks. That's one reason I don't want UFC on HBO, you have to pay for it and in my area it is now only on digital cable, so that's paying extra.

As far as UFC every 2 weeks, obviously I'd love to see that but right now I think that should only be done 3-4 times a year, like they have sometimes done with UFN & PPVs. Once a month gives UFC enough time to steadily build up their big PPV matches, and also allows a safety net in the event of fighters having to drop out of fights due to injury or illness. If the cards are too close together it may not allow them enough time to find a suitable replacement and give said fighter enough time to sufficiently prepare, which is bad not only for the replacement but for the fans, they might get what turns out to be a lackluster fight and be turned off by the product and start spreading bad words about UFC. They don't want or need that right now.
LR
8/17/07 9:29:32AM
With the amount of fighters coming into MMA every day, this is a good idea. It'll solidify rankings in the bottom tiers and enable us to get the better matchups at the actual PPV events because the fighters will have records and a bit of data for matchmakers to actually look at. Some of these fighters, we have no idea how they will do on the big stage. They have great records in smaller organizations, but this would be perfect as a thermometer into a fighter's performance at the top.
EddieBowers
8/17/07 2:54:51PM

Posted by DCRage

Posted by EddieBowers

HBO & Showtime aren't free. You have to pay to get those networks. That's one reason I don't want UFC on HBO, you have to pay for it and in my area it is now only on digital cable, so that's paying extra.

As far as UFC every 2 weeks, obviously I'd love to see that but right now I think that should only be done 3-4 times a year, like they have sometimes done with UFN & PPVs. Once a month gives UFC enough time to steadily build up their big PPV matches, and also allows a safety net in the event of fighters having to drop out of fights due to injury or illness. If the cards are too close together it may not allow them enough time to find a suitable replacement and give said fighter enough time to sufficiently prepare, which is bad not only for the replacement but for the fans, they might get what turns out to be a lackluster fight and be turned off by the product and start spreading bad words about UFC. They don't want or need that right now.

I should have been more clear about the HBO and Showtime comment. Yes you have to pay for them but not the fights.
JimiMak
8/17/07 6:34:43PM
I like it. You'd never get a title match on this biweekly show it would be a chance to both showcase and weed out the great untapped talent pools all over the place. I just like to watch mma, i watch it all and it would still be better than some of the minor leagues. And it gives them more time and exposure to build the big ppv fights. PPL don't get burned out on the massive amounts of other sports that are on every year.
Ultimate_fighter
8/17/07 9:18:24PM

Posted by chickmagnet

they should show fights that were never televised in past events

I think they would just keep most of them in places like Las Vegas....
Ultimate_fighter
8/17/07 9:20:40PM
In september they have UFC 75 , UFN, UFC 76 really close together, i think they should do that.... 3 fightcards a month and like hippysmacker said like 16 fighters a fight card...
EddieBowers
8/18/07 12:23:52PM
I saw a link on another post sorry did not copy it over to here.. but there is a lot coming up between now and the end of Sept.

August 24th: ShoXC: Joe Boxer vs Krazy Horse
August 25th: UFC74: Gonzaga vs Couture
September 1st: Art of War 3: Pedro Rizzo vs Jeff Monson
September 5th: WEC: Jens Pulver vs Cub Swanson
September 8th: UFC75: Rampage Jackson vs Dan Henderson
September 15th: EliteXC: Robbie Lawler vs Ninja Rua
September 17th: HERO’S: Middleweight Grand Prix
September 19th: UFN11: Kenny Florian vs Din Thomas
September 22nd: UFC76: Chuck Liddell vs Keith Jardine
September 22nd: Cage Rage 23: Mark Weir vs Paul Daley

Not sure how much of this is going to be on TV, at least 8 are.
shawneth
8/18/07 7:16:58PM
I dont like it. Im kinda like having to wait a month for the PPV(September being an exception) because it gets me more and more excited to see another event. And as someone else pointed out, they'll start signing a bunch of Joe smoe's that arnt that talented to fight on these shows. Are these the fighters that you want to represent MMA. Cuase these are the fighters that the whole world will being getting to see for free.
Pitbull09
8/18/07 8:16:22PM

Posted by EddieBowers

Hes got a good point, I dont want MMA going close to boxing B.S., If there not enough potential (which I dont think there will be until about a yr or too) they shouldnt havethismany events or the PPVs wont have enough fights to add in.
Ydoc
8/18/07 8:34:25PM
I'm for this. Great way for dark match guys to get more exposure, and as long as it's free it isn't as bad as boxing putting on lack luster PPVs. Plus, I think guys trying to break into a major company like the UFC will fight harder to finish a fight.
matthughes23
8/19/07 5:01:12AM
the guys that usually fight on prelims should fite at these events. That way they get more exposure.
adamal
8/19/07 10:33:19PM

Posted by EddieBowers

I think that this may be the very reason it's a good idea for UFC to try to get on TV as much as possible. Especially with new fights. We on this message board are of couse huge MMA fans and watch WEC, IFL, Bodog, and Pride as well as UFC but to many people UFC is all they know of MMA. As the sport grows so will the competition. IFL is on constantly and on two different networks, and their owners have gads of money. If UFC can grab casual fans and hook them in as not only MMA fans but more to the point UFC fans then that is something that is really good for them and probably for the sport in general.