Weekend's most impressive performance

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Weekend's most impressive performance
Mchubb316
7/21/08 9:24:50PM
3 fight cards later, who do you think had the more impressive weekend? Silva moving up to 205, Fedor destroying Sylvia in 36 seconds, Hellboy winning the LW Grand Prix?
My pick is is Hellboy winning the Grand Prix. Of all the fighters mentioned, and they all were impressive, Hellboy's victories capped off an amazing weekend of fights. Aoki being the favorite, and Hellboy coming in as an alternate and knocking Aoki senseless. Nice work, look forward to seeing him defend.
skatenate
7/21/08 9:32:10PM
yeah for me seeing hellbo take it out was great, hes recently become one of my favourites and its good to see him come out on top against the odds.

followed by fedor's dominance then silva's amazing KO debut into 205
Jackelope
7/21/08 9:34:23PM
I have to go with the Norweigan! I would have easily said Fedor, but man... what a story! Unbelievable! Aoki looked dominant as hell throughout the first couple of fights, and then he comes in as an alternate and destroys him!

Aoki should have committed to the shoulder lock instead of going for broke on the gogo, though. Kind of sad to see Aoki lose it, but at the same time if he was going to lose to anyone I'd prefer it to be Joachim! War Norweigans!
jae_1833
7/21/08 10:16:09PM
IDK man, I think Eddie Alvarez may have just impressed me the most. I put him on my top 10 list for it!
jiujitsufreak74
7/21/08 10:24:34PM
Alvarez did imo. he solidified a top 10 spot if not a top 5 spot with his impressive fight with Kawajiri. his fight this morning was one of 2 fight of the year candidates imo and he has proven that he is for real and that he has the potential to be the number 1 LW. all of his fights are exciting and this kid has impressed the hell out of me
Mchubb316
7/21/08 10:52:38PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Alvarez did imo. he solidified a top 10 spot if not a top 5 spot with his impressive fight with Kawajiri. his fight this morning was one of 2 fight of the year candidates imo and he has proven that he is for real and that he has the potential to be the number 1 LW. all of his fights are exciting and this kid has impressed the hell out of me

He solidified his place in the top 5 rankings with his win, and was impressive, and if he would have capped it off with a win over Aoki, he would be have been my pick instead of Hansen. Hellboy gets my nod because he won twice, beat the #3 LW in the world, and is the champion. I think Alvarez wins their 2nd fight for the belt.
big_timmy
7/21/08 11:27:07PM
Have to be Spida moving up. It just goes to show that a great fighter is a great fighter, no matter the circumstances.

He could fight anyone and make them look like a can. He makes fighting seem so easy its ridiculous.

Me and some mates were watching Affliction, and someone said "when they kick the legs, why dont they jsut grab the leg and hit them?" and the reply was along the lines of "its harder than it looks, those kicks are coming in pretty hard and fast." Than how does Silva win? By making something look simple that really isnt.
Mchubb316
7/21/08 11:39:19PM

Posted by big_timmy

Have to be Spida moving up. It just goes to show that a great fighter is a great fighter, no matter the circumstances.

He could fight anyone and make them look like a can. He makes fighting seem so easy its ridiculous.

Me and some mates were watching Affliction, and someone said "when they kick the legs, why dont they jsut grab the leg and hit them?" and the reply was along the lines of "its harder than it looks, those kicks are coming in pretty hard and fast." Than how does Silva win? By making something look simple that really isnt.

Silva was supposed to win. It was impressive, don't get me wrong, moving up a weight class and destroying your opponent. As far as catching leg kicks, I think it depends on who is throwing the leg kick, and if the leg kick is meant to do damage or set up a punch. There are guys who are just better at kicks than others and know when to use them.
big_timmy
7/22/08 12:03:04AM

Posted by Mchubb316

Posted by big_timmy

Silva was supposed to win. It was impressive, don't get me wrong, moving up a weight class and destroying your opponent. As far as catching leg kicks, I think it depends on who is throwing the leg kick, and if the leg kick is meant to do damage or set up a punch. There are guys who are just better at kicks than others and know when to use them.

Dont get me wrong, not all leg kicks are devistating. I saw Reese Andy throwing leg kicks that a toddler could have defended. Then you look at how Forrest dismantled Rampage, and you see how good leg kicks can really be.
SpiderSilva
7/22/08 1:27:37AM
DREAM put on the best show over the weekend Alistar subing Hunt was good Akoi/Uno was pretty good Alverez fight of year potential and Hellboy coming in as an alternet and winning was a cap to a great night I know UFC put on an okay show and Affliction had its momentsbut DREAM put on a wonderfull show also Afflictions comentary was vary second rate to Bas who is a great comintator as well as Rogan doing it for the UFC
mrkennedy
7/22/08 11:10:05PM
1.Fedor
2.Alvarez
3.Hellboy
4.Anderson
5.Belfort

notable:arlovski-hominick-rumble(to be respetful)
ncordless
7/22/08 11:27:55PM
Wow... that's a hard one. Anderson's knockout was unreal... albeit against weaker competition.
Fedor's 36 sec. destruction of a top 5 HW was ridiculous... but was it impressive, or just expected?
Alvarez's war with Kawajiri was a foty candidate... but it definitely wasn't domination.
Hanson's KO of Aoki was pretty unexpected, dominating, and against top comp. so Hellboy gets my vote.