WEC 52 Results (Spoilers)

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » Spoilers Forum » WEC 52 Results (Spoilers)
DCRage
11/11/10 5:56:05PM
We're underway!
Prelims:
Yves Jabouin beat Brandon Visher by unanimous decision, 3 30-27s.
Cub Swanson beat Mackens Semerzier by split decision, 29-28 Swanson, 29-28 Semerzier, 29-28 Swanson.
Michael McDonald beat Clint Godfrey by submission (armbar) at 2:42 of round 1.
Dustin Poirier beat Zack Micklewright by TKO (strikes) in 53 seconds.
Anthony Njokuani beat Edward Faaloloto by TKO (strikes) at 4:54 of round 2.
Raphael Assuncao beat LC Davis by unanimous decision, 3 30-27s.
TV fights:
Demetrious Johnson beat Damacio Page by submission (guillotine) at 2:27 of round 3.
Joseph Benavidez beat Wagnney Fabiano by submission (guillotine) at 2:45 of round 2.
Erik Koch beat Francisco Rivera by TKO (strikes) at 1:36 of round 1.
Chad Mendes beat Javier Vazquez by unanimous decision, 3 30-27s.
Main Event: Urijah Faber beat Takeya Mizugaki by technical submission (rear naked choke) at 4:50 of round 1.

Note: Joe Martinez returns for tonight only as the cage announcer. Bruce Buffer was unavailable for tonight's event due to UFC 122.
D0wnUnd6e6r
11/11/10 6:31:28PM
JAAAAABBBBB woohooo!!!! good stuff for my buddy form mtl!!!! one up on my parlay but only 10pts on this one, had him with a rd1 tko.
DCRage
11/11/10 7:03:41PM
Swanson beats Semerzier by SD. Junkie says early FOTN candidate.
DCRage
11/11/10 7:19:51PM
Michael McDonald didn't even finish his song before he finished Clint Godfrey. Armbar in 2:42.
Franklinfan47
11/11/10 7:26:44PM
Good debut for McDonald. Too bad im still only 1-2 with 5 points.
DCRage
11/11/10 7:36:13PM
Poirier TKOs Micklewright in just 53 seconds. This one looks to be close to a squash.
Franklinfan47
11/11/10 8:07:57PM
3-2 with 19 points so far. Glad I took a shot in the dark with Poirier
DCRage
11/11/10 8:10:10PM
Njokuani TKOs, hopefully I nail this, Faaloloto. 4:54 R2.

Edit: 3 30-27s, Assuncao over Davis. That does it for the prelims.
D0wnUnd6e6r
11/11/10 8:45:19PM
6-0 so far, dont feel like counting points but i know i at least picked 2 fights perfectly so at least 22 pts lol
Franklinfan47
11/11/10 9:29:50PM
This is why I love WEC, awesome fight.
DCRage
11/11/10 10:19:05PM
Koch just KO'd Rivera.
Franklinfan47
11/11/10 10:21:50PM
By head kick, no less.
DCRage
11/11/10 11:31:09PM
3 30-27s, Mendes. Main event up now.
Twenty20Dollars
11/11/10 11:39:37PM
Dang too bad Cerrone was'NT fighting tonight, with Joe Martinez back. Really like when he says Donald Cowwwboyy Cerroneeee
DCRage
11/11/10 11:43:43PM
Nice to have him back for a night, Bruce Buffer talked about it on IT'S TIME!! Tuesday, he said about the only way he could've done tonight was if Dana rented a space shuttle. Otherwise there's no way he could've made it to Germany in time for UFC.

Anyway, main event's over. Faber put Mizugaki to sleep with a RNC in 4:50, Mizugaki was legit out cold. That does it for tonight. Good night, and good luck.

Post-fight presser is scheduled to start at 12:15 AM ET, Junkie should have live video.
FastKnockout
11/11/10 11:59:31PM
I'm not a Faber fan to be totally honest. I think he's overrated, not in skill, but in the poster boy department. I get tired of people constantly going on and on about him as if he's Fedor or Anderson Silva status, which he's not.

I noticed during the commentary they mentioned there was talk of the winner getting a shot at the title. BULLSHIT. Faber shouldn't recieve ANOTHER gift title shot. Yeah, he won tonight, but nothing Faber did made me think he deserves a shot coming off one win. That would make three in a row.

Losses belt to Mike Brown
--->
Wins against JENS PULVER
--->
Recieves a title shot against Brown after ONE win
--->
Loses in the rematch against Brown
--->
Wins against Raphael Assuncao
--->
Recieves ANOTHER title shot at Jose Aldo
--->
Loses to Aldo
--->
WIns against Takeya Mizugaki
--->
BETTER NOT RECIEVE ANOTHER TITLE SHOT
DCRage
11/12/10 12:29:46AM
The Bonus Of The Night winners, each gets $10K:
Fight-Swanson vs. Semerzier
KO-Koch
Sub-Faber
Twenty20Dollars
11/12/10 12:52:54AM
Head kick was amazing.
telnights
11/12/10 1:20:27AM

Posted by FastKnockout

I'm not a Faber fan to be totally honest. I think he's overrated, not in skill, but in the poster boy department. I get tired of people constantly going on and on about him as if he's Fedor or Anderson Silva status, which he's not.

I noticed during the commentary they mentioned there was talk of the winner getting a shot at the title. BULLSHIT. Faber shouldn't recieve ANOTHER gift title shot. Yeah, he won tonight, but nothing Faber did made me think he deserves a shot coming off one win. That would make three in a row.

Losses belt to Mike Brown - Which was his first loss since 2005 which was against a much large Tyson Griffin.
--->
Wins against JENS PULVER - Who just came off a solid win over Cub Swanson.

--->Recieves a title shot against Brown after ONE win
Loses in the rematch against Brown - Which Faber fought a 5 round war with two broken hands.

--->Wins against Raphael Assuncao - Who was looking very solid and hadn't loss since 2006.

--->Recieves ANOTHER title shot at Jose Aldo
Loses to Aldo - Stayed in their with one of the best in the world for 5 rounds even when he could barely stand he still gave it his all. Thats something the past 7 fighters that have faced Aldo have been unable to do.
--->
WIns against Takeya Mizugaki - A very solid win and was able to stop him which no one else in the WEC has been able to do. Torres (x-champ) and Jorgensen (who is about to fight the champ) where both unable to stop Mizugaki.
--->
(BETTER NOT RECIEVE ANOTHER TITLE SHOT ) Why not? Who else do you have in mind. He also has a win over the current champ.

Now don't get me wrong I don't think Faber is in the top 10 P4P fighter in the world but in my book he is in the top 20 P4P fighter of the world. The guy ruled 145 pounds for years and you have to respect that.
Franklinfan47
11/12/10 8:40:18AM
Ended up dozing off last night after main event, but went 7-4 on this one with like 45 points. Another really entertaining WEC card, im gonna miss these.

In regards to Faber, Id agree that he hasnt justified a title shot YET, that was a big win for him, no ones dominated Mizugaki in the WEC like that. Another big win over a top ten like Torres, Bowles, Jorg, or even Demetrious and I think he's ready.

Remember, he has a win over Dominick Cruz already. His only loss Faber in the UFC= Awesome.
gartface
11/12/10 8:51:27AM

Posted by telnights

(BETTER NOT RECIEVE ANOTHER TITLE SHOT ) Why not? Who else do you have in mind. He also has a win over the current champ.

All great points Tel, and a first round submission of Dominick Cruz no less.
D0wnUnd6e6r
11/12/10 9:05:56AM
pretty good night of fight we had there, very entertaining. went 10-1 with 79pts 5th top score and hit my little parlay of jabouin/mendes. Does anyone know if we still get badges for seondary league top 10 scores? lol cause this would be my first
DCRage
11/12/10 9:47:57AM

Does anyone know if we still get badges for seondary league top 10 scores?

Yes, at the end of the season. The cash prizes are only for the overall top scorer and earner.

Only 5-5 last night, didn't know about the Koch-Rivera fight until it was too late to update my picks.
FastKnockout
11/12/10 4:55:42PM

Posted by telnights

Posted by FastKnockout

Losses belt to Mike Brown - Which was his first loss since 2005 which was against a much large Tyson Griffin.
--->
Wins against JENS PULVER - Who just came off a solid win over Cub Swanson.

--->Recieves a title shot against Brown after ONE win
Loses in the rematch against Brown - Which Faber fought a 5 round war with two broken hands.

--->Wins against Raphael Assuncao - Who was looking very solid and hadn't loss since 2006.

--->Recieves ANOTHER title shot at Jose Aldo
Loses to Aldo - Stayed in their with one of the best in the world for 5 rounds even when he could barely stand he still gave it his all. Thats something the past 7 fighters that have faced Aldo have been unable to do.
--->
WIns against Takeya Mizugaki - A very solid win and was able to stop him which no one else in the WEC has been able to do. Torres (x-champ) and Jorgensen (who is about to fight the champ) where both unable to stop Mizugaki.
--->

Now don't get me wrong I don't think Faber is in the top 10 P4P fighter in the world but in my book he is in the top 20 P4P fighter of the world. The guy ruled 145 pounds for years and you have to respect that.

I believe that title shots should be earned, and with more than one win. You just stated all the positives Faber brought in his lossses, but the point is, a loss is a loss. In racing, it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning's winning, and that's the way it should be in MMA as well. Sure, Faber has heart, but the fact is that he hasn't been winning consistantly enough to earn a title shot. Let Faber win two more fights in dominating fasion and then give it to him, or give one legit fight like Miquel Torres.
telnights
11/12/10 8:57:04PM

Posted by FastKnockout
I believe that title shots should be earned, and with more than one win. You just stated all the positives Faber brought in his lossses, but the point is, a loss is a loss. In racing, it doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, winning's winning, and that's the way it should be in MMA as well. Sure, Faber has heart, but the fact is that he hasn't been winning consistantly enough to earn a title shot. Let Faber win two more fights in dominating fasion and then give it to him, or give one legit fight like Miquel Torres.

So how didn't he earn them? Holding the 145 WEC title for almost 3 years isn't enough to make you happy? How about 5 title defenses is that enough to earn him some respect? BTW one of those title fights was against Dominick Cruz who is now the 135 pound champ. He did all of this in a weight class he really is undersized for. So you tell me who do you think should be fighting for the title at 135 after the Jorgensen vs Cruz fight. Just so you know Dominick Cruz's only loss is to Faber.

Now I agree, a loss is just that a loss. But Faber has also done a lot of winning. How you loss also matters because if you still give someone a tough fight with two broken hands that says a lot about that fighter. If you stay in there with one of the best in the world when you can barely walk also says a lot about a fighter.
BTW in a lot of racing leagues how you loss(where you place) matters because at the end of the season there is this little thing called points and who ever has the most truly wins.