WEC 37 Results/Discussion/Spoilers...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » Spoilers Forum » WEC 37 Results/Discussion/Spoilers...
Next Page »
DCRage
12/3/08 1:51:18PM
And a few farewells of sorts as this is not only WEC's last card of '08, but also the last time we'll see Light Heavyweights in the promotion...OK, Middleweights too, but no such fights are on the card tonight, and also the start of a new direction for the promotion as the TV undercard fights could determine upcoming title challengers, a trend we're likely going to start seeing in WEC.
We're underway as of 5:45 PM.
Prelims (may not air on TV):
Shane Roller beat Mike Budnik by submission (guillotine) at 1:01 of round 1.
Cub Swanson beat Hiroyuki Takaya by unanimous decision, 2 30-27s and 1 29-28.
Bart Palaszewski beat Alex Karalexis by TKO (ref stoppage) at 3:49 of round 2.
Diego Nunes beat Cole Province by unanimous decision, 2 30-27s and 1 29-28.
Mark Munoz beat Ricardo Barros by TKO (strikes) at 2:26 of round 1.
Johny Hendricks def. Justin Haskins by TKO (strikes) at 4:07 of round 2.

TV (8-10 PM ET on Versus):
WEC Bantamweight Champion Miguel Torres vs. Manny Tapia for the title
Brian Bowles vs. Will Ribeiro
Akitoshi Tamura vs. Wagnney Fabiano
Joseph Benavidez vs. Danny Martinez
They're really gonna try hard to end the live card by 10 PM to avoid going head-to-head with TUF 8 but also so Versus can start the new season of "The Contender" on time after the show. We'll see what happens...in the meantime, hands up, chin down, let 'em fly, and no illegal blows!
Kpro
12/3/08 3:07:03PM
and a reminder to get Avena/Knabjian out of your parlay and/or bets !
Mayhem13
12/3/08 4:28:38PM
War Ribiero!
WAR TORRES!!!
War Benavidez!

my War trio for tonight
Wolfenstein
12/3/08 4:31:19PM
I'd like to see them go back to 3 hour shows, because with commercials there's a good possibility we won't even see the entire main card.

Hopefully we'll start seeing some preliminary fights put up. I know they have Wreckage and all, but it's been over a month since the supposed fight of the year candidate Donald Cerrone vs Rob McCullough appened, and still no sign of the fight.

Anyways, anyone know when the prelims start up?
Mayhem13
12/3/08 4:36:32PM
5:45 PM Est. I think
DCRage
12/3/08 5:39:52PM
5:45. Results should start flowing into the news sites in the next 20 minutes, Junkie should have them the soonest as Mania likely won't start until 6:30. As for tonight, there are only 4 TV fights scheduled, can't go over 2 hours because then everyone's upset because they go against TUF and the boxing fans will cry foul because The Contender won't start on time. The challenges of putting on these weeknight cards...
Kpro
12/3/08 5:51:17PM
Being on the West Coast, I'd prefer if it goes 3 hours over so that it ends when TUF starts.
DCRage
12/3/08 5:52:51PM
Wouldn't it be 5 hours then? I'm pretty sure Versus doesn't have a staggered feed so wouldn't it be 10 PM PT for TUF?

Looks like the first fight is underway, it's likely going to be Roller vs. Budnik. Results/updates should start coming in the next few minutes.
Kpro
12/3/08 5:55:00PM
Yeah TUF is at 10PT and WEC will end around 7PT. 5 hours from the start, 3 hours from the finish.

WEC airs 5-7 and 8-10 PT.
DCRage
12/3/08 6:00:58PM
Roller beats Budnik by 1st round sub. More details to follow.

Edit: Guillotine at 1:01.
Kpro
12/3/08 6:03:03PM
aaaand there's the first leg of my pick, parlay, and real money wagers.

I love that that was the Hot Bout.
Wolfenstein
12/3/08 6:09:34PM
Cub Swanson vs. Hiroyuki Takaya

Round 1
Swanson paws a jab and throws a right high kick that misses. Another jab by Swanson misses. Swanson lands a right and Takaya answers with a right leg kick. The two men clinch and Swanson is put in to the cage. Cub looks for a standing guillotine but lets go to circle. In the center, the fighters flurry with Swanson getting the better of the exchange. They clinch against the fence and separate with two minutes remaining in the frame. Takaya lands a low lead left kick and connects with another leg kick that knocks Swanson’s lead leg out from underneath him. On top, Takaya doesn't land much before Swanson is back to his feet. Cub ends the round with a right head kick that grazes and a spinning-back kick that misses. 10-9 Takaya.

For once Sherdog seems to be at the head of the pack...
Mayhem13
12/3/08 6:13:24PM
son of a....

0-1
DCRage
12/3/08 6:17:23PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Cub Swanson vs. Hiroyuki Takaya

Round 1
Swanson paws a jab and throws a right high kick that misses. Another jab by Swanson misses. Swanson lands a right and Takaya answers with a right leg kick. The two men clinch and Swanson is put in to the cage. Cub looks for a standing guillotine but lets go to circle. In the center, the fighters flurry with Swanson getting the better of the exchange. They clinch against the fence and separate with two minutes remaining in the frame. Takaya lands a low lead left kick and connects with another leg kick that knocks Swanson’s lead leg out from underneath him. On top, Takaya doesn't land much before Swanson is back to his feet. Cub ends the round with a right head kick that grazes and a spinning-back kick that misses. 10-9 Takaya.

For once Sherdog seems to be at the head of the pack...

Also keep in mind that the other sites usually just do "quick results" for the prelims, then they go in-depth for the main card. Which is fine with me, more often than not I just want to know who won and how.
Wolfenstein
12/3/08 6:19:20PM
Round 2
The featherweights start the second round and clinch. Swanson is taken down, but gets to his feet quickly. On his feet, Swanson goes for a head and arm throw but finds himself on his back. In half guard, Takaya looks to work, but Swanson gets to his knees and grabs a single-leg. Swanson lets it go to exchange again on his feet. Takaya lands a lead left kick the leg of Swanson. The fighters clinch and Swanson gets a takedown. He gets mount and Takaya gives up his back. With a minute remaining, Swanson is controlling his opponent with a body-triangle. The Japanese fighter is doing well preventing the choke. The round ends with Swanson still riding the back. 10-9 Swanson.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I don't kow, I guess I like the details as it drums up a little bit of drama. For example it sounds to me like Cub won the first and second round, so it will be interesting to see how the fights is scored...if it goes to a dec.
MALICE
12/3/08 6:21:14PM
Round 3
The fighters touch gloves and begin to flurry. Both land lefts and rights. Neither gaining a real advantage. Takaya swings a right that lands. Swanson shoots and gets the takedown. Against the cage, the Japanese fighter looks to walk his way up but Swanson is on him. Cub mounts the legs of Takaya but cannot establish a dominant position. Takaya works back to his feet and they separate. Takaya lands a thudding leg kick and Swanson looks for another takedown. This time, Takaya stuffs it and they clinch. 90 seconds remain and Swanson is pushed in to the fence. He tries to circle away and Takaya gets a takedown. Cub sweeps his opponent, and moves to side, then mount. Takaya gives up his back. With 10 seconds remaining, Takaya gets away and is on his feet. Swanson lowers his elevation and ends the third stanza strong with another takedown. 10-9 Swanson.

The official judges see the contest 30-27 (twice) and 29-28, all for Cub Swanson, who takes the unanimous decision.
Mayhem13
12/3/08 6:29:44PM
shit, 0-2...although from just reading PbP I dont know how fair that call seems...but its probably different when watching.
D0wnUnd6e6r
12/3/08 6:30:00PM
Wow I had Roller rd 1 TKo but looks like the system decided not to put in my pick... still shows i got Roller on my parlay and the individual bet... doesnt show me picking him though... kind of a downer but whatever
DCRage
12/3/08 6:32:59PM
Wow, 2 fights and I nailed them both. I vote for ending this event here and now.
MALICE
12/3/08 6:33:06PM
Alex Karalexis vs. Bart Palaszewski

Round 1
Karalexis takes the center of the cage and lands a low kick. Another kick lands from the TUF almun. Palaszewski is very tentative in the opening frame. Another kick lands from Karalexis. Alex swings and Palaszewski clinches. They separate and Palaszewski lands a hard right low kick. Karalexis lands a right and then swings for the fences. Palaszewski grabs the clinch and lands a knee to the body. They separate again and Alex is landing. It appears that Palaszewski was caught in the eye by a finger and referee Kim Winslow calls for a break. After a brief respite, the fighters exchange again with Karalexis dominating every step of the way. He isn't landing as much as just frustrating the IFL veteran. The round ends with Karalexis landing another flurry. Palaszewski goes back to his corner visibly upset.10-9 Karalexis.
MALICE
12/3/08 6:37:42PM
Round 2
Round two starts with Karalexis throwing hands. Bart answers with a right that stuns Karalexis. Alex drops to the floor hurt. Karalexis is back to his feet again. Bart is unloading now. Karalexis is dropped again and is then rescued from more punishment as Winslow stops the contest at 1:11 of the second.
Wolfenstein
12/3/08 6:39:58PM
Man sounds like Bart took some pissed-off juice after round 1.
Mayhem13
12/3/08 6:40:25PM
1-2

from here on, I get the rest right!!!

Aaronno9
12/3/08 6:40:55PM
2-1, couldnt of been more wrong with my ending picks though. Missed the hot bout to, no surprise there. Glad Cub got his W. Hes one of those guys who i think i should dislike, but for some reason i always root for.
Franklinfan47
12/3/08 6:41:23PM
Nice. I'm 2-1 with 16 points. Messed up on the hot bout once again, budnik let me down. But Swanson and Bartimus came through, called Bart 2nd rd tko perfectly
hotrodttt
12/3/08 6:41:30PM
3-0 with 36 Points, and now I have to go to Wrestling Practice
DCRage
12/3/08 6:44:58PM
Now why couldn't Bart have done that in round 1? Lost my perfect card but still 3-0. Might be the rare card I do well on but my record shows I tend to do better on WEC events.
Mayhem13
12/3/08 6:50:40PM
we will have to see if the last minute pick changes, bite me in the ass again.

went from Cub to Takayama
and from
Bowles to Reibero a day or 2 ago...and normally I dont do that..cause I end up getting them wrong after I change....

MALICE
12/3/08 6:50:51PM
Diego Nunes vs. Cole Province

Round 1
Nunes starts the bout with a left high kick that Province blocks. Nunes lands a right chopping kick to the thigh of Province. Light on his feet, Nunes starts to work a jab and a left hook combo. Province has had enough of the quicker Nunes and clinches. Nunes puts his opponent on the fence, and after a lack of action, referee Yves Lavigne separates the two men. Nunes lands another low kick and Province shoots and clinches. The fighters circle around the fence in the clinch until Province gets a takedown and lands in side-control. He takes mount and Nunes gives his back. Standing now, Province continues to ride the back and work a rear-naked choke. Nunes defends and Province gets off center and falls off. The fighters are back on their feet, where they clinch. Nunes lands a knee and finishes the round with a takedown.10-9 Nunes.
Wolfenstein
12/3/08 6:54:03PM
Must have been a close round, as MMA weekly scored it for Province, which sounds right since he did get on his back, and the rest sounded even.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4