WEC 31 Results and Analysis

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » WEC 31 Results and Analysis
LR
12/13/07 2:10:02AM
WEC 31 results and some analysis regarding the performances from Faber, Filho, Sonnen, Curran, and the rest of the fighters on the card.

LINK
babytater03
12/13/07 7:32:56AM
i gotta say i was really impressed by this card.

Only 2 fights going the distance, tons of action, hungry guys, and some controversy. (i'm not going to jump on the Sonnen wagon here...)

One of the better events i've seen in a while.
xchickox
12/13/07 7:42:12AM
sonnen was shouting in pain and the tap would have come soon, he was not getting out of that, awesome card, faber looked as good as ever even after being in trouble
Leland
12/13/07 7:52:02AM
The rules are the rules. The fighter had to tap. Sorry it was unfair!
DCRage
12/13/07 7:55:28AM
When I read he all but stopped Filho with that slam early on I almost had a heart attack. That would've been the upset of the year.
CWall33
12/13/07 8:26:42AM

Posted by Leland

I don't believe there is a rule stating that the fighter has to tap. The ref has the authority to stop the fight whenever he sees fit.

If you can find a rule backing up what you are saying, please post it here. I would be interested in reading it.
StevieC
12/13/07 8:42:48AM
This is two fights in a row now that Filho has looked like crap......

I know he knocked out Doerkson his first fight, but he has been coming out really slow and almost lazy....

He did the same thing last night and almost paid for it......

Until I see him beat a upper class fighter again or at least a not worthy UFC guy I am hoping off his bandwagon and giving Anderson Silva the undisputed best middleweight in the game....That is until Hendo knocks his ass out...
StevieC
12/13/07 8:44:35AM

Posted by Leland

I thought it sucked too but Sonnan is going to send that ref a gift pack later in the week for thanking him for an un-broken arm...
The_Grim_Reaper
12/13/07 8:57:56AM

Posted by StevieC

I know he knocked out Doerkson his first fight, but he has been coming out really slow and almost lazy....

Until I see him beat a upper class fighter again or at least a not worthy UFC guy I am hoping off his bandwagon and giving Anderson Silva the undisputed best middleweight in the game....That is until Hendo knocks his ass out...

so your saying that you don't beileve Doerkson and Sonnen are not upper class fighters? Doerkson is a top 10 MW and i beileve Sonnen was a very good opponent for Paulo, Chael is on the outskirts of the top 10 catergory,
Chuteboxer
12/13/07 9:49:06AM
I think what he meant is that Filho is not fighting guys like Hendo or people on that level...but I could be wrong...all I know is that after all the hype and talk i've heard about this Filho guy, I was interested in watching him for the first time last night. He did horrible. I won't say that armbar was lucky because it wasn't, but I definitely don't see why everyone' hyping him up and calling him the greatest 185 pound fighter in the world. I was not impressed at all.
pinoymixplaya
12/13/07 10:37:19AM
IF...they ever fought, Anderson Silva would wipe the floor with him....and Jens really impressed me...love to see him and Urijah
bullettdodger
12/13/07 11:46:14AM
I'd have to agree, this was my second time seeing Paulo in action and I really truly have to say i am unimpressed, a gnarley armbar for sure, but that was a lot to do with his training and his reflexes, cause I'm almost sure his eyes were closed when it happened. Filho was on his way out the door with hat in hand before the armbar, and i was on the edge of my seat. (to make maters a bit more interesting my friend and i placed a bit of a wager between gentleman... and it was my turn to take the underdog, who i figured to be Sonnen) Great fights on this card though, and i can't wait to see Jen's next fight, i was expecting the left hand as im sure everyone was and I was so happy to see him choke the air out of cub's body. What was cub thinking saying that Jens was trying to duck him? Jens has fought people waaaay bigger and waaaay scarier than cub swanson... i think cub was scared from the get go.
:D
three_days_of_grey
12/13/07 1:12:17PM
Really good event last night although I dont feel any fight eclipsed Huerta/Guida. I did notice that during pre-fight footage, Cub Swanson and Doug Marshall both used words 'kill', 'dead', and 'death' to describe what they were going to thier respective opponent, which I thought was an extremely poor choice of words given the recent death of Sammy Vasquez. Yes, I know they meant them in a generalized non-literal way, but it's bad perception.
Jens Pulver looked really great or Swanson looked really bad. Swanson beat the hell out of Miller, who has a much longer reach, by striking. So why did he do for the takedown right away?
Faber has grown alot (metaphorically) and showed alot of poise in fending off Currans ground game. I'm undecided as to a Faber/Pulver victor, but it should be a good back-and-forth battle.
Doug Marshall took a few punches and looked like he was dragged down the street on his face. I don't think he could crack top 15 in UFC.
Paulo Filho looked like Rua did against Forrest Griffen: slow and distracted. Sonnen made a poor choice to keep it on the ground and just left his arm out there to get caught in a really slow developing armbar attempt. I wondering if that first arm-bar didnt do alot more damage, he couldnt strike as effectively, and essentially threw in the towel? Needless to say, the ref made a good stoppage, because otherwise, Sonnen wasnt going anywhere else with his ulna/radius attached.
Charles Valencia looked like a predator last night. Damn.

-OUT-
cowcatcher
12/13/07 1:24:04PM
filho is not a fast starter, or a flashy fighter and i think that has a lot to do with why hes in the wec and not the ufc. he is really good, and if youve only seen him in wec i can see why you might think hes more hype than substance, but he has beaten some really good fighters at 185(misaki, chonan, ninja to name a few). if you get a chance watch some of his pride fights, he isnt much of a starter, but eventually imposes his will on everyone he faces. that fight last night could have been stopped early though, sonnen fought one hell of a fight until he got caught. valencia was incredible, that was a very entertaining 1 sided fight.
FantasyFighter
12/13/07 1:37:34PM

Posted by bullettdodger
i was expecting the left hand as im sure everyone was and I was so happy to see him choke the air out of cub's body. What was cub thinking saying that Jens was trying to duck him? Jens has fought people waaaay bigger and waaaay scarier than cub swanson... i think cub was scared from the get go.
:D

As usual, the guy who talked the most noise got beat decisively.
StevieC
12/13/07 8:03:35PM

Posted by The_Grim_Reaper

Posted by StevieC

so your saying that you don't beileve Doerkson and Sonnen are not upper class fighters? Doerkson is a top 10 MW and i beileve Sonnen was a very good opponent for Paulo, Chael is on the outskirts of the top 10 catergory,

Doerkson just got rocked by Ed Herman, so NO I don't think he is even close to upper class. Chael has fought good fighters but rarly has won, so again NO he is not upper class...Good fighters Chael has fought are, Jeremy Horn x3, Jason Lambert, Babalu, Trevor Prangley x2, Forrest Griffin, Akihiro Gono, Jason Miller, Terry Martin, and now Paulo Filho. You know his record vs those guys? 3-8-1 Not so good.....Not even top 15 in my book.....He did look good last night but very very stupid to leave his arm out there.....

I bet 100% that if Paulo would of fought, Anderson Silva, Hendo, Lindland, or hell even Rich Franklin he would of lost last night. He looked like crap until the sub at the end......
StevieC
12/13/07 8:06:45PM

Posted by three_days_of_grey

Really good event last night although I dont feel any fight eclipsed Huerta/Guida. I did notice that during pre-fight footage, Cub Swanson and Doug Marshall both used words 'kill', 'dead', and 'death' to describe what they were going to thier respective opponent, which I thought was an extremely poor choice of words given the recent death of Sammy Vasquez. Yes, I know they meant them in a generalized non-literal way, but it's bad perception.
Jens Pulver looked really great or Swanson looked really bad. Swanson beat the hell out of Miller, who has a much longer reach, by striking. So why did he do for the takedown right away?
Faber has grown alot (metaphorically) and showed alot of poise in fending off Currans ground game. I'm undecided as to a Faber/Pulver victor, but it should be a good back-and-forth battle.
Doug Marshall took a few punches and looked like he was dragged down the street on his face. I don't think he could crack top 15 in UFC.
Paulo Filho looked like Rua did against Forrest Griffen: slow and distracted. Sonnen made a poor choice to keep it on the ground and just left his arm out there to get caught in a really slow developing armbar attempt. I wondering if that first arm-bar didnt do alot more damage, he couldnt strike as effectively, and essentially threw in the towel? Needless to say, the ref made a good stoppage, because otherwise, Sonnen wasnt going anywhere else with his ulna/radius attached.
Charles Valencia looked like a predator last night. Damn.

-OUT-

I agree bro, Doug Marshall couldn't carry the jock of at least 20 LHW I can think of right now.....
Titosux
12/13/07 9:36:33PM

Posted by StevieC

Posted by The_Grim_Reaper

Posted by StevieC

Doerkson just got rocked by Ed Herman, so NO I don't think he is even close to upper class. Chael has fought good fighters but rarly has won, so again NO he is not upper class...Good fighters Chael has fought are, Jeremy Horn x3, Jason Lambert, Babalu, Trevor Prangley x2, Forrest Griffin, Akihiro Gono, Jason Miller, Terry Martin, and now Paulo Filho. You know his record vs those guys? 3-8-1 Not so good.....Not even top 15 in my book.....He did look good last night but very very stupid to leave his arm out there.....

I bet 100% that if Paulo would of fought, Anderson Silva, Hendo, Lindland, or hell even Rich Franklin he would of lost last night. He looked like crap until the sub at the end......

Couldn't agree with you more....
jgtribbett
12/13/07 10:31:24PM

Posted by xchickox

sonnen was shouting in pain and the tap would have come soon, he was not getting out of that, awesome card, faber looked as good as ever even after being in trouble

ok.. he had excaped it once in the first round.. I dont think yelling "ow" or "ahhh" or even ouch is a verbal tap.

I verbal tap is when you have no ******* means to tap.
bullshit i say
JoeySteel
12/13/07 11:10:17PM
Ranked #16, just outta the top. I wish I was as good at main playground as this. DAMN!
Svartorm
12/13/07 11:31:48PM

Posted by metal_mecca43

Posted by xchickox

ok.. he had excaped it once in the first round.. I dont think yelling "ow" or "ahhh" or even ouch is a verbal tap.

I verbal tap is when you have no ******* means to tap.
bullshit i say

Anyone that knows grappling knows Sonnen wasn't getting out of that. He was going to try and front roll, but his arm might have snapped first, and regardless, Filho had enough room, and more than enough skill, to roll with him. The ref made the right choice, even if Sonnen was man enough to bust his own arm trying to get out of the inevitable.

Sometimes protecting the fighters means protecting them from themselves.