Now that the UFC and WEC are merging ...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Now that the UFC and WEC are merging ...
Jackelope
10/28/10 6:35:36PM
List the matchups you want to see.

I know it's not the same weight class anymore, but I'd really like to see Cowboy Cerrone vs. Nate Diaz. Can you imagine the smack talk and the fight that would follow it?

I think Shalorus vs. Maynard would be another great fight just because Shalorus may be the one fighter, strength wise, who can match up with Maynard at 155.

Varner vs. Tyson Griffin is another fight that I've wanted to see for years. You gotta think Griffin is the favorite going in, but I've always been curious to see how Varner matches up with the elite wrestler/boxer types very similar to him. Although admittedly Varner needs a lot of cardio work before he's ready for someone with Griffin's motor.

What do you all think would be some interesting match ups? (This is a time when I WISH so badly I was Joe Silva)
State_Champ
10/28/10 6:58:29PM
Cerrone vs Guillard
Cerrone vs Florian
Henderson vs Edgar
Aldo vs Edgar, Maynard, Penn, Florian, ect...
Faber vs Guida
Faber vs Sanchez
Faber vs Edgar
I could do this all night...especially if I keep counting all the catch-weight/cross-divisional fights I'd like to see.
BlueSkiesBurn
10/28/10 7:06:01PM
Faber vs. Edgar would get my proverbial panties wet.
jawbreaker517
10/28/10 7:28:48PM
I read on mmaweekly that Aldo was offered a shot in the lightweight division in the UFC and turned it down. I would love to see how he would fair against the elite at 155.
bojangalz
10/28/10 7:30:32PM
Match-ups aside. I'm really curious to see the shifts in wight divisions for some fighters. Gotta believe that Guida will be at 145 sometime very soon (especially if he loses to Gomi). I think that Edgar ultimately winds up at 145 after losing his belt somewhere down the line as well.

I think it'll be very interesting to see where guys are in the 145-155 divisions after the dust settles on this.
Twenty20Dollars
10/28/10 7:36:20PM
Could we just have a battle royal WEC vs UFC, kinda like WWE vs WCW that happened awhile back when I watched wrestling hah.

Seriously so many match ups. Cerrone vs Diaz would be intense.
kopower
10/28/10 8:59:58PM

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

Could we just have a battle royal WEC vs UFC, kinda like WWE vs WCW that happened awhile back when I watched wrestling hah.

I like the idea
prozacnation1978
10/28/10 9:23:38PM
First of all I am curious to see who drops from ufc lightweight to feather

I can see tyson griffin, wonder if kenny can finally be a ufc champ
And thank god. NEw fresh air in tuf series

Any one wanna see faber vs torres as coaches for bantamweight and featherweight tuf fighters!!!

Like middle and welter. Within a year most of those wec lightweights will be cut
Including varner

Only ones I see legit is henderson, pettis and maybe cerrone
Jackelope
10/28/10 9:33:52PM

Posted by kopower

Posted by Twenty20Dollars

I like the idea

I am on board with this idea as well.
bojangalz
10/29/10 2:51:09AM

Posted by prozacnation1978

Like middle and welter. Within a year most of those wec lightweights will be cut
Including varner

Agreed on the Varner departure. Henderson is the real deal so he'll be around for a long time. I also see Pettis establishing himself as a name.

I see Cerrone getting completely tooled in the UFC. He's a rich man's Josh Neer imo. But I'm not certain that we'll see him getting pink slipped any time soon though. He's a serious fan favorite and has a ton of cross-over appeal to the VS audience (bull riding and the like). I see him being a staple on VS cards for sure.
AchillesHeel
10/29/10 9:18:21AM

Including varner

Not necessarily. If the "new" UFC intends to produce more shows than the "old" UFC did, they'll need more of those fighters than they did when the WEC's welterweight, middleweight and light-heavyweight divisions closed. We know that the UFC has assumed responsibility for the four WEC shows that were contracted to air on "Vs." in 2011, for example. After that, I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Jackelope
10/29/10 1:26:32PM

Posted by bojangalz

Including varner

Agreed on the Varner departure. Henderson is the real deal so he'll be around for a long time. I also see Pettis establishing himself as a name.

I see Cerrone getting completely tooled in the UFC. He's a rich man's Josh Neer imo. But I'm not certain that we'll see him getting pink slipped any time soon though. He's a serious fan favorite and has a ton of cross-over appeal to the VS audience (bull riding and the like). I see him being a staple on VS cards for sure.

If he can get his mind right I would be willing to bet Varner will last much longer in the UFC than both Cerrone and Henderson. He has a much more translatable skill set. It's not his skills that ever lose him fights, it's his mental game. Mark my words if his mind is right I guarantee you he can make a deeper run than both Henderson and Cerrone.
ncordless
10/29/10 1:37:44PM

Posted by bojangalz

Including varner

Cerrone v. Neer would be awesome.
State_Champ
10/29/10 2:27:07PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by bojangalz

Including varner

Cerrone v. Neer would be awesome. [/QUOTE
]
prozacnation1978
10/29/10 3:49:48PM
Think of it this way. You just added a lot more fighters to a already stacked division
More fighters will be cut. Not even make it to a 3 fight loss skid some will be cut after 2.

They are gonna trim the fat off!!!! Regardless who drops the featherweight
A lot more lightweights will be cut. Cause they added a lot

Even if they add more shows. They need to if they added more than 70 fighters
U don't think the ufc will start cutting??

And wec was very easy on fighters with lost streaks, now with ufc. A lot of them should not even be in the ufc,