With WEC's LHW and MW divisions cut, which fighters should be implemented into the UFC?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » With WEC's LHW and MW divisions cut, which fighters should be implemented into the UFC?
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
11/6/08 2:23:04PM
I can't see Zuffa just cutting all of them.

At LHW there isn't much choice, but:
Doug Marshall
Brian Stann
Carmello Marrero
Steve Steinbasss
Alex Schoenhower

At MW there are a world of options:
Chael Sonnen
Paulo Filho
Bryan Baker
Jake Rosholt
Aaron Simpson
AchillesHeel
11/6/08 2:39:08PM
I don't think any of the WEC light-heavyweights can hang in the UFC. Doug Marshall has already moved on, I believe. Brian Stann was exposed as a one-dimensional slugger, and not even a particularly dangerous one. I suppose Steve Cantwell could be given a shot. I think all of them should head to Strikeforce.

The middleweights aren't much better. Before last night, I would have put Paulo Filho right in the thick of the UFC's middleweight division, but now..? He has skills, but his head isn't screwed on straight, and there's no way to know if or when he'll recover. Chael Sonnen is 1-2 in the UFC, although that was 2½ years ago, and I think he should be given another shot.

Frankly, if you look back at the WEC cards of the last 12 months, there really haven't been many 205-lb or 185-lb matches, at all. The reason they're folding those divisions is because they don't have much talent there. The UFC doesn't pick up the WEC's scraps.
ohiostate1016
11/6/08 3:02:13PM
Jake Rosholt
Paulo Filho
Chael Sonnn

end of list
bullettdodger
11/6/08 4:50:32PM
I don't think Filho should be on anyone's list. He is ridiculously one dimensional a phenom at JJ to be sure, but he lacks good take downs/wrestling and striking. I think Filho might be able to just get by if given the flattering opponents in the MW division. Mental complications aside, I don't think that Filho is all the guy everyone talked him up to be.
Kracker_Jap
11/6/08 4:57:50PM
Chael Sonnen
Paulo Filho

Drop these guys from the list
ObsoleteMan
11/6/08 5:12:43PM
I think any of the WEC guys who've had a title or title shot in the past 2 years (or so) should get at least a try out. Maybe a 2-3 fight deal, mostly on the under card. If they make a splash, they can stay. Even if all the UFC gets from it is a new group of gatekeepers, new faces are always good.
Wolfenstein
11/6/08 5:18:09PM
Chael Sonnen deserves another shot, but he'll have to be much more exciting if he wants to stay in the UFC, because if you win in lackluster fashion, the first loss will probably be your last.

Cantwell and Stann have a shot. I think the more appropriate place for them would to be put on the Ultimate fighter because there skills aren't quite good enough to take on even mid-level competition.

Rosholt will get an oppurtunity, but it's too bad he won'thave more time to work on his overall game. I didn't quite get why he never raises his hands to block punches. He just stands with his hands at his chest and absorbs punches. Good chin, grea wrestling, and good potential, but he's another guy that has a long way to go.

Brian Baker deserves a shot. Good wrestling and GnP. He could become a superstar if he's brought along slowly.

Carmello and Paulo are iffy. Carmello has already had a stint in the UFC and ws doinated both times...although he did have a win over Cheick Kongo. I on't think the UFC will bring him on board an already stacked division when they're already going to take on Stan and Cantwell. There's only so many guys you can take on and brig them along slowly.

Paulo is probably going to sit around for a whle till he has pulled it together. It's obvious he's dealing wit some severe problems and fighting is at the back of his mind.
DCRage
11/6/08 5:18:40PM
Until last night Filho was as shoe-in. Now word I'm reading is don't expect him fighting for Zuffa for a VERY VERY long time. This may also force them to think about rules changes if last night happens again-one scenario I read would be along the lines of what they teased last night: Champ misses weight for the fight and it's technically non-title...but if Challenger beats Champ, Challenger still gets title. The sticking point could be if such a fight would be 3 or 5 rounds.

At LHW, my short list right now would be Stann, Cantwell, and Marshall.
imanidiot777
11/6/08 6:15:21PM
Need to take Sonnen and Filho, maybe Stann because people like him.

They need to get Carlos Condit over here somehow.
AxeMurderer97
11/8/08 3:24:07PM
Jake Rosholt, the kid has tons of potential to be a wrestling force.

He just needs to get better stand up, imo.
MMA4EVER
11/8/08 6:02:37PM
4 sure Steve Cantwell And Brian Stann And Also Chael Sonnen
higdon10
11/8/08 6:19:16PM
Chael Sonnen deserves a chance. He'll never challange for title but he's solid and could stick around.
Jackelope
11/8/08 7:05:21PM
Yeah I think Chael is a solid competitor. Nothing too flashy, but he's textbook and effective. Even if not being overly exciting. Of course, depending where the MW's from EliteXC go because I could foresee some interesting matches with those guys. Chael deserves a shot at the UFC just because of how he got screwed with the MW belt, though.

I think Brian Baker has a lot of potential (I may be nearly alone in this one) but he's young, hungry, and game. Why not give a dude like that a chance? Hell, put him in against Amir Sadollah to help build him up.

Filho- I'm pretty sour still so I'm not going to touch this one.

The LHW's in the WEC won't stack up to the LHW's in the UFC, but I like Steinbeiss and Marrero. Steinbeiss didn't get the credit he deserved for making that a helluva fight. Just take a look at Marrero's face afterwards.

bls1919
11/8/08 9:05:01PM
Even though i don't think they will be able to hang in the stacked UFC LHW division, they will bring in Brian Stann, and Carmello Marrerro. And as for the MW the UFC could use some a boost. I think Filho and Sonnen both will make an apperance in the octagon. Both could do well. Sonnen is a UFC vet That was sent to WEC for "grooming" Well he got it. I think he could be a force in the UFC. I would love to see Chael figth Bisping in his debut. But they'll give him a warm up before he gets top notch guys.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
11/11/08 12:43:29AM
Aaron Simpson was a 4X All-American wrestler from ASU, and was the head wrestling coach up until last year. He coached CB Dollaway, Cain Valasquez, and Ryan Bader. (And was better than all of them)
fullerene
11/11/08 10:54:40AM
I've got the short list, too: Sonnen, Filho
RhythmAndStyle
11/11/08 11:46:06AM

Posted by F--K_Luck_AuH2O

I can't see Zuffa just cutting all of them.

At LHW there isn't much choice, but:
Doug Marshall
Brian Stann
Carmello Marrero
Steve Steinbasss
Alex Schoenhower

At MW there are a world of options:
Chael Sonnen
Paulo Filho
Bryan Baker
Jake Rosholt
Aaron Simpson

Stann was suppose to fight in the UFC already..another rematch with Steve Cantwell..i think Cantwell is still in the UFC card..the one for the troops..so yea those two guys r in the UFC..if Filho gets his mind straight..he would be the biggest impact in the UFC..out of all these guys...
Franklinfan47
11/11/08 12:09:16PM
Marrero, Stann, Cantwell, Filho, and Sonnen would all be good additions imo.
mrkennedy
11/11/08 1:30:17PM
Chael Sonnen
Paulo Filho

Jake Rosholt is not ready to fight in the ufc he almost got ko by jj fighter but his wrestling is spectacular