WEC 43 Fighter's To Face Same Day Weigh In Next Week

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » WEC 43 Fighter's To Face Same Day Weigh In Next Week
jae_1833
8/24/09 7:44:16PM
link

WEC 43 fighters take note: Same-day weigh-ins are a real possibility for next week's event.
StorminYourman
8/24/09 8:18:37PM
That is rough. Hope the fighters knew beforhand of these conditions.
seanfu
8/24/09 8:29:03PM
In that case get ready for the most boring fight card in a while.

If they're experimenting with this for safety reasons I think they'll find a backfire.
grappler0000
8/24/09 8:42:01PM
Once you read the article, you realize it's not as bad as the headline leads on. The day-of weigh-in is just to make sure you don't put more than 13 pounds back on...shouldn't be too much of an issue with the lighter weights.
Gogoplatapus
8/24/09 8:45:39PM
Not really though. If you read the article it says that there are two weigh ins. The regular one and then one the day of. Fighters can't gain more than 13 pounds in between. If you ask me, I'd say they should regulate this everywhere.
Nightmare27
8/24/09 9:15:42PM
The fight card has been rescheduled for Oct 10th because of an injury to Benson Henderson. No mention of whether or not there has been a change of venue. I for one think that they should get out of Ohio, that same day weigh in rule is horrible. I could understand if they were high school wrestlers, but not grown men. Its up to them to know what their bodies can and cant handle.
Brain_Smasher
8/24/09 10:07:33PM
This is not a good rule and there is a reason other state commisions dont use it. First by putting a limit of 13 lbs you in a way encourage weight cutting. Second the main reason it isnt done is you force fighters to fight dehydrated which is the most dangerous aspect of weight cutting. Dehydration. Now if a fighter had to cut a little extra going into the fight for whatever reason. Now he cant put all his water back in because his fight will be canciled.

Ohio tried this in the past before the UFC went there and they acked off. But not until they forced Gracie Fighting Championships to follow it. I remember many fighters not liking it due to multiple weigh ins and having no notice of the limits and procedure. Dustin Hazelette being one of them. It was just an unneeded headache they really solves nothing and creates risks.

There is no way to stop weight cutters without damaging the sport/promotions or risking the heath of fighters. Athletes will always try to get the upper hand even if it is dangerous. May as well let them put the water back on. Everyone does it now so noone is being cheated.
postman
8/24/09 10:09:47PM

Posted by Nightmare27

The fight card has been rescheduled for Oct 10th because of an injury to Benson Henderson. No mention of whether or not there has been a change of venue. I for one think that they should get out of Ohio, that same day weigh in rule is horrible. I could understand if they were high school wrestlers, but not grown men. Its up to them to know what their bodies can and cant handle.

Its unfair to guys who have to fight Thiago Alves being around 200lbs fight night and they might be 185. I'm pretty sure this is where the rule is coming from. I for one like it. Also Ohio held the North American record for attendance for awhile MMA is huge in Ohio they have minor shows every weekend accross the state.
StorminYourman
8/24/09 10:25:42PM
well the event got moved so i do not think they will have to deal with this now. Lucky for the fighters.
Nightmare27
8/24/09 10:50:27PM

Posted by postman

Posted by Nightmare27

Its unfair to guys who have to fight Thiago Alves being around 200lbs fight night and they might be 185. I'm pretty sure this is where the rule is coming from. I for one like it. Also Ohio held the North American record for attendance for awhile MMA is huge in Ohio they have minor shows every weekend accross the state.

I dont think that there is anything unfair about a guy chosing to cut an extra 15 pounds. If a fighter in that weight class chose to put their body through what Alves does then they could get down to 155lbs and have that same advantage. Weve seen examples of losing the extra weight be both an advantage and a disadvantage.
RNC
8/24/09 11:41:18PM
How ******* dumb is this rule. Fighters are now being penalized for being good at cutting weight. If you can cut more weight than your opponent then tough **** for him. Cutting weight is one of the largest factors in MMA, and this 13lb rule is bullshit.
higdon10
8/25/09 12:46:57AM

Posted by RNC

How ******* dumb is this rule.

Pretty ******* dumb.