WEC Champs?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » WEC Champs?
Brownsfan222
6/12/07 11:48:09PM
I have been following WEC since Zuffa bought it but I havent followed it too much. Can somebody list the champs of all their weightclasses? I know Urijah Faber has featherweight title, rob mccullough (sp?) has lightweight and marshall has lhw
richieb19
6/12/07 11:51:11PM
Faber at 145, McCullough at 155, Condit at 170, no one at 185 and I'm not quite sure about LHW...
the-james
6/12/07 11:59:29PM
Faber 145
Rob McCullough 155
Condit 170
Nobody 185
Doug Marshall 205
Brownsfan222
6/13/07 1:18:17AM
Thanks, do they have a fight lined up for the 185 title? If Paulo Filho signs which by the rumors ive seen on here that hes basically signed then he will be champ in no time.
Northrend
6/13/07 2:54:42AM
Wow what if Condit went up to 185 to fight Filho..that would be awesome!
I think Condit would be dominated like the Shields fight but it would be insane to watch. Especilly Condit's guard elbows from bottom.
hippysmacker
6/15/07 7:11:18AM
I thought Riggs was supposed to fight Mayhem for the title, but Riggs pulled out due to injury. If they really do put Filho in the WEC it's a huge move for legitimizing it. Filho, World's greatest standup fighter! JK, but to quote Dan Henderson" that guy could dryhump anyone into submission"
kmansoori6
6/15/07 8:13:31AM
I love watching McCullough fight. Have any of you seen the WEC commercials online?? they are pretty tight
KYGUY07
6/15/07 2:25:08PM
when is riggs making his wec debut, i know he was supposed to a while ago.
pv3Hpv3p
6/15/07 2:45:14PM
No Heavyweights at all?
AchillesHeel
6/15/07 2:48:27PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

No Heavyweights at all?

Nope. It makes sense, if you think about it. There are barely enough good ones for the UFC to have a respectable Top 10.
pv3Hpv3p
6/15/07 3:26:20PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

No Heavyweights at all?

Nope. It makes sense, if you think about it. There are barely enough good ones for the UFC to have a respectable Top 10.

ya, I guess it does... And it seems like the WEC will be highlighting the lighter weight, having the 145 div and all.
AchillesHeel
6/15/07 3:37:11PM
145 and 135, actually.
pv3Hpv3p
6/15/07 3:44:17PM
Didn't know they had a 135 catagory... It really makes sense... You'd have to figure there are a ton of fighters out there that just can't fight at those higher weights and should get a chance on the big stage as well (not taking anything away from Shooto)
gutoo
6/20/07 11:05:58PM
Paulo filho said in a interview here in brazil that he can fight for the title against Joe Doerksen
szucconi
6/20/07 11:21:22PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

145 and 135, actually.

Who is the 135 champ? If it is vacant then I would like to be declared the champ and be given money.
NME
6/21/07 10:29:58AM

Posted by szucconi

Posted by AchillesHeel

145 and 135, actually.

Who is the 135 champ? If it is vacant then I would like to be declared the champ and be given money.

Chase Beebe
szucconi
6/21/07 12:04:35PM

Posted by NME

Posted by szucconi

Posted by AchillesHeel

145 and 135, actually.

Chase Beebe

Do you think I could take him?
NME
6/21/07 2:30:36PM

Posted by szucconi

Posted by NME

Posted by szucconi

Posted by AchillesHeel

145 and 135, actually.

Chase Beebe

Not right now, no. He beat Eddie Wineland to win the title, and Wineland is a bad dude.

If you learn how to strike and some jiu jitsu, who knows? He's my height, so you have that going for you.
szucconi
6/21/07 2:40:48PM

Posted by NME

Posted by szucconi

Posted by NME

Posted by szucconi

Posted by AchillesHeel

145 and 135, actually.

Chase Beebe

Not right now, no. He beat Eddie Wineland to win the title, and Wineland is a bad dude.

If you learn how to strike and some jiu jitsu, who knows? He's my height, so you have that going for you.

At 135 I am hella strong and at about six feet tall I would have the reach on almost anyone. The only problem is my giant head, historically bad knees and the fact that a stiff wind can knock me out. I guess that’s three problems.

I was looking on sherdog for 135 pounders and it look like a weak division mainly due to it lack of depth. Anyone know anything about the current state of this division? Is my assessment accurate?
NME
6/21/07 2:59:42PM

Posted by szucconi
I was looking on sherdog for 135 pounders and it look like a weak division mainly due to it lack of depth. Anyone know anything about the current state of this division? Is my assessment accurate?

In America more so than in Japan.

Just focusing on WEC guys, though:
In addition to Beebe and Wineland, Jeff Bedard seems to be a strong contender in the division. Brian Bowles is 2-0, for whatever that is worth. Antonio Banuelos is a game fighter. The only other real contender I see in WEC at Bantamweight is Charlie Valencia, who I know almost nothing about.

I'm certain all of the above would destroy you however they chose to, even at your current weight. But after several years of jiu jitsu or whatever, again, your size and wrestling background are going to help.
szucconi
6/21/07 3:13:42PM

Posted by NME

Posted by szucconi

In America more so than in Japan.

Just focusing on WEC guys, though:
In addition to Beebe and Wineland, Jeff Bedard seems to be a strong contender in the division. Brian Bowles is 2-0, for whatever that is worth. Antonio Banuelos is a game fighter. The only other real contender I see in WEC at Bantamweight is Charlie Valencia, who I know almost nothing about.

I'm certain all of the above would destroy you however they chose to, even at your current weight. But after several years of jiu jitsu or whatever, again, your size and wrestling background are going to help.

I would crush them... with mind powers. The way I see it is I would never fight in WEC. They are the top of the hill for the lower weights and even they don't have a deep 135 lbs lineup. I could fight my brother, who is taller and natually at 135, in a much smaller show. My question is, does the WEC sign up every decent 135 pounder to fill there ranks? or are there other orgs that compete with WEC at the lower weights?
NME
6/21/07 3:29:06PM

Posted by szucconi
I would crush them... with mind powers. The way I see it is I would never fight in WEC. They are the top of the hill for the lower weights and even they don't have a deep 135 lbs lineup. I could fight my brother, who is taller and natually at 135, in a much smaller show. My question is, does the WEC sign up every decent 135 pounder to fill there ranks? or are there other orgs that compete with WEC at the lower weights?

That depends on what your definition of "sign up" is. They're active roster of 135lbs. guys is about 8 deep, so on that level, no, they don't have a plethora of talent in the division. At the same time, it's owned by Zuffa, who as you know is not shy about booking guys from smaller organizations to come in and fight, even if its a one shot. If you do well in your shot, the sky is the limit.

You could always wind up fighting your boy Chris Manuel at MMAC if you ever get brave enough to move up to 145lbs. Also, the phrase "move up to 145lbs." amuses me.
szucconi
6/21/07 3:46:49PM

Posted by NME

That depends on what your definition of "sign up" is. They're active roster of 135lbs. guys is about 8 deep, so on that level, no, they don't have a plethora of talent in the division. At the same time, it's owned by Zuffa, who as you know is not shy about booking guys from smaller organizations to come in and fight, even if its a one shot. If you do well in your shot, the sky is the limit.

You could always wind up fighting your boy Chris Manuel at MMAC if you ever get brave enough to move up to 145lbs. Also, the phrase "move up to 145lbs." amuses me.

Lets not get carried away. I wrestled at 130 5+ years ago, but haven't grown much since so I believe I could make 135 if I were in shape (currently around 158lbs). When you say wrestling background you mean the 3 years I wrestled varsity in high school and had a losing record, Nothing before and nothing since. The biggest thing I learned there was that I like to hurt people and didn't mind losing if I got to hurt them. I busted 2 noses (one of a state champ), broke one neck, and made a guy cry during a match (he later won the match, it’s an interesting story). I came in 4th at the county tournament and there were only 5 schools. I don't mind taking punishment, so I could be the Elvis Sinosic of 135, only not as good.
NME
6/21/07 4:31:35PM
By all means, get carried away. There's nothing wrong with a little motivation.

Also, sure, you don't have tremendous wrestling credentials. However, I for example, have almost no wrestling credentials. I wrestled with the warriors program for one season. I won exactly zero matches. This was when I was nine years old.

You were at least wise enough to wrestle in high school. I went to a meeting and decided it was not for me. Instead, I ran track. I finished 4th in counties in the 200m, but how exactly does that help me in fighting? Well, I guess I could have the fastest entrance or some nonsense.

But seriously, any background in combat athletics is a benefit. Don't sell yourself short. Many folks who really know MMA feel a wrestling base is the best to have and the hardest to learn. It might not be much in your case, but it's far better than nothing.
madmarck
6/21/07 6:39:04PM

Posted by hippysmacker

I thought Riggs was supposed to fight Mayhem for the title, but Riggs pulled out due to injury. If they really do put Filho in the WEC it's a huge move for legitimizing it. Filho, World's greatest standup fighter! JK, but to quote Dan Henderson" that guy could dryhump anyone into submission"

Thats prob why the 185 title is vacant. I beleive you are right in the fact that Riggs/ Miller was supposed to be for the title. But i heard tha tMAyhem pulled out due to a junired back.