WEC 44: The Big Question

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » WEC 44: The Big Question
Franklinfan47
11/17/09 12:50:00PM
Is the hype surrounding Aldo for real, or is Brown gonna derail him tomorrow night? I personally keep going back and forth. Aldo has destroyed virtually everyone he's fought in the WEC, but he hasn't been fighting Mike Brown, who has looked unstoppable lately. I think its gonna come down to Brown's wrestling and relentless GnP attack, but the problem is we dont even know what Aldo is like on the ground yet He is bjj black belt. Regardless, I'm gonna go with what I think is the safer pick and take Brown. I think he continually takes Aldo to the mat and unleashes a barrage of punches until Aldo finally submits due to strikes, probably late 2nd, early 3rd. Though if Brown can't get Aldo down, technically speaking he is screwed imo. Very exciting fight which I dont think will disapoint, can't wait! Big things happening in the fw division.

Also, can Garcia prevent Manny's judo throws long enough to execute his boxing? Thats another big question surrounding this card imo. If Manny can get this down he could grind Leonard out, though Garcia does have some solid jj to compliment his striking. I'm banking on Bad Boy Garcia having drill his td defense and puting a beating on Manny in the stand up, who has shown a suspect chin in the past. Garcia KO 1st rd

Other thoughts on the card:
-Razor Rob UD: former champ over the unknown late replacement. Easy pick.
-Roller sub 1st: expecting the very underated Roller to finally start making some waves in the division by catching a solid prospect in Castillo with a guillotine in the early goings.
-Kamal sub 2nd: both unknown, but other guy coming in very short notice? I have respect for a guy who doesnt even know his legal age haha.
-Nunes/UD: Solid brazilian prospect in Nunes grinding out a typical one-sided grappling decision over the durable, but flawed, LC Davis.
-Swanson/UD: Cub taking a safe but dominating decision over the tough but overmatched Franchi.
-Banuelos/UD: same situation here.
-Lamas/UD: due to dominating wrestling and top control for 3 rounds.
-Dikun/sub/1: flying triangle choke ftw.

Overall, very excited for tomorrow. The WEC has consistently been putting on awesome cards and this one looks no different.

Reminder that the weigh ins will be streamed free tonight at 7 pm EST. See you all tomorrow night!
higdon10
11/17/09 1:20:52PM
Should be an amazing card. Unfortunately I'm gonna miss it due to Vs. being dropped from DirecTv
emfleek
11/17/09 1:27:41PM

Posted by higdon10

Should be an amazing card. Unfortunately I'm gonna miss it due to Vs. being dropped from DirecTv

...and I'll miss it due to my cable provider not offering it.

ncordless
11/17/09 1:44:59PM
I think it will also depend on how Brown goes about taking Aldo down. The last two people who shot in on Aldo from the outside took at least one knee to the face and died instantly. Brown needs to push Aldo up against the fence and look for the trip or throw. If at any time Brown lowers his level for a shot he is in serious danger of a knee.

We don't know enough about Aldo when he faces adversity to be able to know how he will handle being on bottom (something that he probably will be at least once.

The thing that has me leaning Aldo in this one is things I saw in the 2nd Brown/Faber fight. Faber was putting it to Brown on the feet with better speed until he broke his hands. Even more telling in my opinion is that Faber was able to land elbows from distance on Brown. If Brown isn't quick enough to get out of the way of a low percentage strike like those elbows from Faber, I don't think he is going to have much of a chance on the feet with Aldo. I think Brown is going to have a harder time getting the fight to the ground without getting seriously damaged than most people, and I think Aldo will show why speed kills on the feet for an impressive KO.
sparky
11/17/09 4:49:14PM

Posted by emfleek

Posted by higdon10

www.justin.tv will live stream it for sure so you dont have to miss it
ThaAxeMurderer7
11/17/09 6:04:23PM
For you guys who can't get it on DirecTV you may want to check out a local sports bar. I went to one over here for Brown vs. Faber 2 and was surprised b/c they usually only show the UFC events. Just an idea to check out.
higdon10
11/17/09 10:21:57PM

Posted by ThaAxeMurderer7

For you guys who can't get it on DirecTV you may want to check out a local sports bar. I went to one over here for Brown vs. Faber 2 and was surprised b/c they usually only show the UFC events. Just an idea to check out.

I think thats gonna be what I end up doing
vomitshovel
11/18/09 1:48:06AM
Yeah try live in south africa.... where the only sport they show in bars is god dam rugby or cricket.
MMA is non existent here to the fans, only people that train or go watch the live shows (which ive heard are terrible compared to overseas fighters) get to see any mma here.
Just be glad we ALL have internet

Posted by sparky

Posted by emfleek

Posted by higdon10

www.justin.tv will live stream it for sure so you dont have to miss it

I went there and fav'd it hopefully ur right
ncordless
11/18/09 10:34:26AM
For those getting pumped up for this fight and want some more info on Aldo, I posted a video in the vid section where Aldo talks about his childhood and how he got his scar.

The summary of it is he grew up in the slums of a city on the edge of the amazon rain forest. His scar is the result of the time his sister threw him in the barbeque pit as a baby. He wants to win because he wants to be able to support his family and give them a better life.
cowcatcher
11/18/09 10:43:24AM
...except his sister
kopower
11/18/09 11:13:06AM

Posted by cowcatcher

...except his sister

Franklinfan47
11/22/09 11:39:56PM
Havent really had a time to post on this, but man did Aldo answer all the questions and more. I thought Brown would dominate the ground but Aldo showed some great td defense and looked very dominant when he took MTB's back. Aldo is going to be a scary champion if no one can take him down. I wonder whats next for both guys, I think Aldo vs Faber would be epic. Overall I finished 5-4 on this card with 39 points after the Dikun-Gomez fight got dropped.

Was also off on the Manny-Garcia fight but again Manny showed some good ground control and didnt get sucked into Leonard's standing Good win for him as well, he could be a new contender in the fw division. Unfortunately had Garcia with Lamas and Shalorus as my parlay. Was really dissapointed with Razor Robs performance, he's really fallen from grace lately. I would have liked to have seen both guys go after it more.

Roller and Shalorus both won as expected, but was very impressed with Castillos performance as well, he gave a pretty good fight. "Prince of Persia" looked really impressive.

The rest of the prelims went pretty much as expected, alot of barnburners on this card. Was surprised to see Nunes lose the hot bout though, had high hopes for him. LC Davis is proving to be a tough fight for anyone in the division though.

All in all, another solid card for the WEC Cant wait for the next one.