WEC's long-awaited 125-pound weight class likely to come in early 2010

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » WEC's long-awaited 125-pound weight class likely to come in early 2010
emfleek
8/7/09 8:21:27AM
World Extreme Cagefighting's long-awaited 125-pound division will likely be implemented and stocked for an early 2010 debut.

That's the word from WEC co-founder and general manager Reed Harris, who discussed the new flyweight division on Thursday's special "Primetime" edition of MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio).

STORY
Chuteboxer
8/7/09 3:30:55PM
Hell yes. About time the littler guys in life got some attention in mma...
jae_1833
8/7/09 3:53:47PM
Sweet! I can't wait to see who they bring in, Shooto has a lot of quality fighters in that weight class so does Pancrase. I can't imagine the WEC not finding a good line up to start off that division.
MMAcca
8/7/09 3:56:35PM
Great stuff. This just strengthens the WEC's position even further.

I hope Zuffa never amalgamates the two companies into one.
RearNakedJoke
8/7/09 5:54:04PM
how small can they go?
ncordless
8/7/09 6:13:07PM

Posted by RearNakedJoke

how small can they go?

Boxing goes down to 105lb.

Shooto goes down to about 115.

I would guess 115 would be possible in a few years. I doubt we ever see a 105 in men's mma.
mentalcase
8/7/09 6:30:00PM
the #1 ranked Flyweight fighter in Jussier "Formiga" da Silva has as record of only 3 - 0 after beating previous #1 Shinichi Kojima (10 - 4 - 5) at last months shooto
ncordless
8/7/09 6:34:31PM

Posted by mentalcase

the #1 ranked Flyweight fighter in Jussier "Formiga" da Silva has as record of only 3 - 0 after beating previous #1 Shinichi Kojima (10 - 4 - 5) at last months shooto

That is incorrect. Jussier has more fights than that... the people who run the fight finder are just unable to confirm exactly when or where those fights took place. Apparently he has been fighting in the mma breeding grounds of northern brazil for a few years.

mentalcase
8/7/09 6:46:57PM

Posted by ncordless

Posted by mentalcase

That is incorrect. Jussier has more fights than that... the people who run the fight finder are just unable to confirm exactly when or where those fights took place. Apparently he has been fighting in the mma breeding grounds of northern brazil for a few years.

would those fights be classified as professional bouts? can you give me a link to those records
ncordless
8/7/09 7:00:22PM

Posted by mentalcase

Posted by ncordless

Posted by mentalcase

would those fights be classified as professional bouts? can you give me a link to those records

Yes I believe they were, and no I have no link since none of the major databases are able to certify the fights without an exact date. Email jbreen@ sherdog.com if you want to find out the details. I heard him talking about Jussier the difficulties he has had confirming his other fights so he can put them in the fight finder on his radio show. He is usually really good at responding.
Rush
8/7/09 7:34:04PM
Wow, I can't imagine "grown" men that small. In the first couple years of high school, yeah, but guys over 18.
DevonFoxy
8/7/09 7:47:40PM

Posted by Rush

Wow, I can't imagine "grown" men that small. In the first couple years of high school, yeah, but guys over 18.

Hey now I'm 19 about to be 20 and weigh 122 pounds and am 5'7 and could easily cut back to my wrestling weight of 103 if needed. I consider myself in great shape as well its just one of those things. some of us guys just can't gain weight no matter how much we work out and eat and work.

it is pretty funny to think about though not gonna lie cuz most of my friends are in fact 6 foot and such...depressing lol. At 125 how bout throwing Benavidez's name in that mix? He could probably make 125 and he's a monster at 135.
prozacnation1978
8/8/09 2:28:54AM
flyweight!!!!!!!!!!!
Rush
8/8/09 7:21:44AM

Posted by DevonFoxy

Posted by Rush

Hey now I'm 19 about to be 20 and weigh 122 pounds and am 5'7 and could easily cut back to my wrestling weight of 103 if needed. I consider myself in great shape as well its just one of those things. some of us guys just can't gain weight no matter how much we work out and eat and work.

it is pretty funny to think about though not gonna lie cuz most of my friends are in fact 6 foot and such...depressing lol. At 125 how bout throwing Benavidez's name in that mix? He could probably make 125 and he's a monster at 135.

I meant no offence. I guess I have a different perspective on size. I'm 32 and a hair under 6 feet and weight about 165 (I drop to 160 or just under if I am really training hard). Most of my peers (the guys anyways) either weigh more than I do and/or are bigger than me.

When I look back to my high school days, I was one of the bigger kids in the early years, but averaged out in later years. Now I see these kids and they're huge.