WEC 39 - Results *SPOILERS*

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » WEC 39 - Results *SPOILERS*
MMAcca
3/2/09 12:26:57AM
WEC 39 RESULTS:

Main Card Bouts:

-Mike Brown def. Leonard Garcia by submission (arm triangle choke) at 1:57, R1
-Ricardo Lamas def. Bart Palaszewski by unanimous decision (30-27 on all scorecards) at 5:00, R3
-Jose Aldo def. Chris Mickle by TKO (punches) at 1:39, R1
-Rob McCullough def. Marcus Hicks by majority decision (29-29, 30-27, 29-28) at 5:00, R3

Preliminary Bouts:

-Danny Castillo def. Phil Cardella by split decision (30-27, 28-29, 29-28) at 5:00, R3
-Damacio Page def. Marcos Galvao by KO at 0:18, R1
-Johny Hendricks def. Alex Serdyukov by unanimous decision at 5:00, R3
-Kenji Osawa def. Rafael Rebello by split decision (29-28, 29-28, 27-30) at 5:00, R3
-Alex Karalexis def. Greg McIntyre by TKO (strikes) at 4:19, R1
-John Franchi def. Mike Budnik by split decision (29-28, 28-29, 29-28) at 5:00, R3
-Mike Pierce def. Justin Haskins by TKO at 3:39, R3

LINK
ncordless
3/2/09 3:42:08AM
It is time for Jose Aldo to get some good competition. The stoppage of Mickle was weak, but Mickle was so outclassed on the feet that you could see the ref was just waiting for a chance to end it. I was worried Mickle was going to get killed if kept charging with his chin out and not defending head kicks.

It would be nice to see someone test Aldo a little, because all we know of anything of him right now besides his insane speed and aggresiveness is that he is a BJJ blackbelt out of Nova Uniao and that he seems to prefer no-hander knees as a form of takedown defense.

Razor Rob can be the most boring striker in the world sometimes. At least he came out of it a little in the 2nd.

Brown looked real tough. He didn't have the same size advantage this time but he still put a whupping on his opponent.

A decent night of fights overall. There were highs and lows, but that Page KO was worth the rest of the night.
WheelchairBandit
3/2/09 4:35:35AM
I think the Mickle stoppage was a good stoppage-Jens Pulver said the same thing on the broadcast.Aldo crushed Mickle with a knee to the body,Mickle backed up to the cage,Aldo clipped him with a head kick,then Aldo unloaded with a barrage of punches while Mickle just kind of stood there hunched over and ate them.Now if he had been defending himself and trying to get the hell out of there,I would agree with you,but he wasn't-he was just hunched over taking a lot of shots.No need for that to continue until he falls over or gets KO'ed.Great stoppage by the ref.

I was VERY impressed by Mike Thomas Brown-I thought he was going to dominate Garcia,but I thought it was going to go the distance.He went in there and smashed Garcia with ease.No one has ever been able to do that before-Roger Huerta threw everything and the kitchen sink at Garcia for 15 minutes and never came close to stopping him.Brown made it look easy.

I'm looking forward to the rematch with Faber,it should be a fantastic fight.I think you'd have to give the edge to Brown-he's just so much bigger and stronger than Faber and matches all of his skills.Faber is one of the best though and if anyone is going to beat Brown right now,it's him.

WB.
lohmann
3/2/09 11:00:02AM
The same referee that called the Galvao vs. Page fight called the Mickle vs. Aldo fight. I can totally understand how apprehensive he grew.

I wonder where the WEC will throw Ricardo Lamas next. He looked good.
Pookie
3/2/09 11:02:51AM
I counted 17 unanswered blows from aldo.
Jesse_Canadian_MMA
3/2/09 12:49:00PM
Aldo whooped him, aldo is the man, watch out!!! and how about Damacio Page at 135 could be exciting against Torres.

and Lamas was pretty impressive in overwhelming a veteran
ncordless
3/2/09 1:10:04PM

Posted by Pookie

I counted 17 unanswered blows from aldo.

Good point, Pookie. I rewatched it and you are right. It just happened so fast that it seems really early the first time.