WCL style mat for MMA?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » WCL style mat for MMA?
warglory
7/16/07 9:03:21PM
I have pondering this for awhile, and I think both the ring and the cage are bad choices for MMA, in that they both benefit and detract fighters. I feel that, while good matches can obviously happen in both atmospheres, there should be little outside influence to potentially effect the result of matches.

With that said, I think the WCL has the right idea when it comes to combat. It is completely circular with no posts or cage mesh to impede on a match's progress. The only thing I would change about it is make the mat white and the outside lip also a light shade, and also make it larger.

papercut
7/16/07 9:07:33PM
MMA fighters would be getting thrown out of that ring I like the PRIDE ring and cage it secures the fighters inside but that? they would fall out easily
warglory
7/16/07 9:13:30PM
How would they fall out though? Especially if the mat was created to be larger. I mean you'd have to adjust rules to compensate for the new atmosphere, so if fighters went over the lip they would be penalized.
Rua22
7/16/07 9:28:03PM
War I kinda see where you are comin from. The only reason I think the UFC is so stuck on the 'cage' look is that it is easily marketable. It's kinda become one of their staples. Seeing as how Dana is notta big fan of how boxing has been marketed, he prolly sees it as an opportunity to make the UFC more recognizabIe. I think we need a stage.... Blood Sport Style haha.
warglory
7/16/07 9:35:57PM

Posted by Rua22

War I kinda see where you are comin from. The only reason I think the UFC is so stuck on the 'cage' look is that it is easily marketable. It's kinda become one of their staples. Seeing as how Dana is notta big fan of how boxing has been marketed, he prolly sees it as an opportunity to make the UFC more recognizabIe. I think we need a stage.... Blood Sport Style haha.

I agree with you about the cage thing. I just see the popularity of the UFC sweltering to the point where it is becoming a major sports org in the U.S., yet the cage is pretty much exactly the same thing it has been since UFC 1 with some minor changes here and there. How can major media promote MMA when fighters are slamming each other into a cage linked fence? I understand the purpose of the cage is to protect fighters, but the UFC and other organizations need to come up with an alternative fighting surface that specializes in MMA competition. The cage is too low class, and the ring (which I prefer out of the two) just seems a bit out of place with an inter-discipline full contact sport as well.
postman
7/16/07 9:53:08PM
The UFC will never get rid of the cage it is the UFC.
Rua22
7/16/07 9:54:36PM
like i said... blood sport!