The Watchmen (no spoilers, please)

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » The Watchmen (no spoilers, please)
POLL: Did you like the Watchmen?
Yes 92% (12)
No 8% (1)
Only if Don King goes on record saying he did 0% (0)
Jackelope
3/7/09 12:26:33AM
I went and saw it today. Let me get some quick details out of the way-

First off- I've never read the comics. This movie is about 2 hrs and 40 minutes long. Only about 20 minutes of that is action. So if you're expecting to go and see an action movie then you might as well save yourselves 3 hrs and skip it.

That being said, this is one of the most brilliant pieces of cinema that I've seen in a long, long time. The social commentary is unbelievable. The sides of humanity that the characters represent, while subtle and never directly commented upon, are perfect. If you consider yourself an intelligent person who enjoys the art of creative writing, you will really enjoy this film (in my opinion.) You must be able to read between the lines and be critical of people and governments to get where the film is going, though. So, basically.. if you're a bit of a pessimistic, narcissistic, dark and rather intelligent individual- you will be very, very, very pleased. Knowing your history well, or being a child of the 50's, 60's, 70's or early 80s will also help you out in this regard.

If you like 90% of the movies that have come out in the past 20 years or so, I'd imagine you won't be so inclined to like it
loller90278
3/7/09 1:59:23AM
just saw it. i honestly thought it was one of the worst movies in a long time. This movie fits the "All style, no substance" category to the T. Besides snyder's directing, i thought it was written very poorly, the actors couldn't pull it off, and the action was weak.

Jackelope
3/7/09 2:11:01AM
Well, like I said.. I figured it won't be for everyone.

People have a tendency to view things on different levels, and as I mentioned in the original post- the subtleties of the storyline are incredibly real. If you're more the type of person who likes to just sit back, relax and enjoy entertainment being fed to you, then it's probably not your type of movie.

If you're more the type of person who likes to feed your entertainment cravings through analytical thought processes and a sniffing out of "what lies beneath" then I assure you, it is for you.

Different strokes for different folks is all. To say it's "all style, no substance" though, haha- to me that just means you missed the whole point is all.
fizzle
3/7/09 2:23:36AM

Posted by loller90278

just saw it. i honestly thought it was one of the worst movies in a long time. This movie fits the "All style, no substance" category to the T. Besides snyder's directing, i thought it was written very poorly, the actors couldn't pull it off, and the action was weak.

Have you read Watchmen? It captured the essence of the graphic novel excellently with it's social commentary, I mean you could write college thesis on the character of the comedian alone. Without going into spoilers, I thought the film accurately captured the feeling and grit and grime of an alternate society in which people are their own worst enemy... not too far off from our own society... To each their own though.
loller90278
3/7/09 2:46:43AM
im definitely not one of those types that likes to sit back, relax, and watch some hollywood action where cars blow up every 5 minutes. i've seen enough indie/art house films to last me 3 lifetimes. that being said, movies like donnie darko, the fountain, watchmen, boondock saints, etc.. i think theres an underlining pseudo intellectual tone to it to where teenagers try to dig at and find some philosophical meaning or some satire to society.

granted, i havn't read the novel. Maybe if i read that i'd understand a bit more, but as of right now, i still think that theres a lot more style than substance in this movie.
fizzle
3/7/09 3:27:28AM
I just want to make sure that you know i totally and completely respect your opinion on this and can think I can see why you feel the way you do. I would be interested to see what you opinion is (whether you change it or not) after reading the graphic novel, not saying it will change your opinion, i'd just be interested to hear what it is upon finishing it. Don't get me wrong i don't mean to say that there was nothing wrong with this film, cause there was. But i don't think i would group myself into "teenagers try to dig at and find some philosophical meaning or some satire to society" group. There is very real social commentary over the savageness that is inherent in every human's core nature... something interesting to take a look at and ponder not to mention the fact that we were locked in a rediculous cold war over really nothing. Nuclear holocaust over a few ducks flying by on a radar screen. Anyway, drop me a pm if you decide to read the G.N. I would be very interested to hear your thoughts on it.
hippysmacker
3/7/09 5:26:57AM
I thought it was brilliant, and figured because it is so deep and thought provoking, many wouldn't get ( or) like it . I also think there was a lot more than 20 minus of action in it. If you liked a movie in the style of the usual suspects than you will probably enjoy it. The mystery is a major part of the story. It is seriously brutal though, and not for young-ins IMO.
dannyfrank
3/7/09 7:25:13AM
awesome. i really want to check it out now. thanks jackelope
Jackelope
3/7/09 9:27:56AM

Posted by loller90278

im definitely not one of those types that likes to sit back, relax, and watch some hollywood action where cars blow up every 5 minutes. i've seen enough indie/art house films to last me 3 lifetimes. that being said, movies like donnie darko, the fountain, watchmen, boondock saints, etc.. i think theres an underlining pseudo intellectual tone to it to where teenagers try to dig at and find some philosophical meaning or some satire to society.

granted, i havn't read the novel. Maybe if i read that i'd understand a bit more, but as of right now, i still think that theres a lot more style than substance in this movie.

I can't believe you would call many of those "pseudo-intellectual". To me, the beauty of many of these films is that they are so subtle with their messages. For the record, I wouldn't consider myself either a teenager or a pseudo intellectual. I'd consider myself a pretty worldly guy who has experienced quite a few things that most people haven't. The details of which I won't go into, but rest assured I've faced humanity in ways that most haven't. I'm also pretty well read.

I only say those to defend my position as what you would call a "pseudo intellectual teenager," and to illustrate the fact that I know and understand the human condition and literature pretty well.

Without going into detail for risk of spoilers, I would say that some things to consider when watching the film are the relation of the imagery of the black and white of Rorshach's mask to his views on society. When Rorschach becomes "Rorschach" it is also important to note that those lines of grey disappear, and specifically when those disappear is when "Rorschach" is born. Also, the bloody "Smiley" and the tone of the film in scenes where it is shown. The do-whatever-be-whatever for the government attitude displayed by The Comedian, and the social backlash/detachment from care it causes. (something I personally relate to due to my own experiences in war) Not to mention the incredibly deep political overtones highlighted by the subtle mockery of the human race and how beautiful women relate to driven men.

To assume that somebody wrote a dumb and emotionless story as celebrated as Watchmen, and that any kind of philosophy or satire towards society involved is just coincidence, well.. that's kind of a strange position. Writers write the things they do because whether they realize it or not they are writing based on the way the world has shaped them and how they view it in return. Even if the writer didn't mean for Rorshach to view the world as black and white, and even if it was coincidence that his mask happened to shift from black to white ink blots, he still did those things subconsciously because when thinking of how the character would view the world his own ideas manifested. Again, subconsciously. Which leads to subtlety, which is a dying artform in cinema today. The sheep want their entertainment, and hollywood is more than willing to oblige with blockbuster CRAP films like "Paul Blart: Mall Cop" which sat atop the box office for quite some time.

I could go on and on. Point is- to call it pseudo intellectual is a bit insulting for one (Why one can't just admit that the message may not have spoken directly to a person like themselves escapes me) and for two- there is a lot going on under the surface. Like I said from the beginning- I would call this a movie that some will love, and some will hate. Everyone loved movies like The Dark Knight and Iron Man because the instant gratification was there, and in the case of each the storyline mostly came full circle and questions were answered- the issue of bad guys being out there was addressed. The Dark Knight definitely had subtlety involved, but I wouldn't place it on the level of Watchmen.
Pookie
3/7/09 2:59:20PM
Theres alot i want to say about the subtle connections in the storyline throughout the film, but i wont because of the spolier aspect of it all.

I thought it was a great movie, it exceeded my expectations.

The ending was my favorite part(DO IT!), im not going to say anything too specific but

"A live body and a dead body contain the same number of particles."
&
'In the end'? Nothing ends, Adrian. Nothing ever ends."

Hopefully thats cryptic enough to not count as a spoiler , but those too quotes in the middle of the movie i feel were tied in really well with the end.
loller90278
3/7/09 5:06:06PM

i laughed out loud at the pic. any arrested development fan would udnerstand
Wolfenstein
3/7/09 5:21:30PM
I'm actually glad this isn't going to be an action movie. As I get older I find myself become pretty disinterested with action packed explosions and thrills, and more inclined towards movies that "make you think"--you know psychological thrillers, apocalytpic disaster films, etc. I actually really enjoyed "The Fountain". I guess I just like weird movies. Whenever I watch action sequences, I just find myself thinking about MMA.

Don't get me wrong, I have many favorite action films (mostly involving Arnold) but they definetely don't rivet me anymore like they used to. Pretty excited to see this film, and glad it's something different.
Pookie
3/7/09 6:23:08PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

I'm actually glad this isn't going to be an action movie. As I get older I find myself become pretty disinterested with action packed explosions and thrills, and more inclined towards movies that "make you think"--you know psychological thrillers, apocalytpic disaster films, etc. I actually really enjoyed "The Fountain". I guess I just like weird movies. Whenever I watch action sequences, I just find myself thinking about MMA.

Don't get me wrong, I have many favorite action films (mostly involving Arnold) but they definetely don't rivet me anymore like they used to. Pretty excited to see this film, and glad it's something different.

You should watch the movie Memento
Wolfenstein
3/7/09 6:25:12PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Wolfenstein

I have, loved it! One of my favorite movies.
Jackelope
3/7/09 7:36:34PM

Posted by Wolfenstein

Posted by Pookie

Posted by Wolfenstein

I have, loved it! One of my favorite movies.

Definitely a great movie Starred by Guy Pearce, who was in another brilliant movie- L.A. Confidential
Pookie
3/7/09 7:37:38PM
, you guys make me proud.
emfleek
3/8/09 12:36:45PM
From an outsider's perspective...and by outsider, I mean someone who doesn't enjoy sci-fi or comic book movies...

I thought it was a damn good movie. Not to mention, the hotness that is Carla Gugino...

My only complaint...the movie was too long. It was long for the sake of being long. Certain things could have been edited out. Had I done my research...and I should have...I would have NOT gone to the theatre to see it. It would have been a DVD rental. I hate sitting on my ass for nearly 3 hours to watch a movie. It causes me to lose interest.

Also...I wanted more of The Comedian.