Is anyone watching the train wreck called IRON RING

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Is anyone watching the train wreck called IRON RING
Sam_Rothstein
4/2/08 3:32:33PM
I notice that team ludacris has Wes Sims

granted Wes Sims isnt really that good, but with all the young fighters with no experience he has a great shot at winning the whole thing
juanez13
4/2/08 3:36:22PM
Most websites are actually saying it isnt as bad as orginally taught, and it was i think the 2nd highest (or something like that) reality show on BET, thats the reason it was moves to 10:30. Granted i havent seen it, so i base this comment on the reviews from wMMA websites.
wolfman
4/2/08 4:01:49PM
I've seen a couple of episodes and I think it is a train wreck. I seriously need subtitles when some of the guys are talking, that's how white I am. In all seriousness though, it is not that good. First off, I will say that it is quite the challenge to make the show amazingly interesting when only given a half an hour time slot. From what I have seen, there isn't much insight into the fighters or their background and the camera work is horrendous. The refs and coaches seem to have no clue what they're doing. T.I. was yelling, "Kill the head and the body will follow," I couldn't help but laugh my ass off at that. There were times when a guy was trying to work for a submission and the coaches were telling him to let the guy up so they could see a KO. Seriously, I didn't obviously expect much from the show, but it was just horrendous....It's really entertaining for a good laugh though, as it is pure MMA cheese.
Pookie
4/2/08 4:05:03PM
When Krazy Horse punked T.I.'s entire crew.... that was priceless
wolfman
4/2/08 4:05:52PM

Posted by Pookie

When Krazy Horse punked T.I.'s entire crew.... that was priceless

Yeah, I have to admit that was pretty funny.
ohiostate1016
4/2/08 4:20:59PM
It's like watching that CELEBreality crap on VH1 that my girlfriend is addicted to. I watched that show with the parents who think their kid is going to be a star. There's a lady on there that looks exactly like Steven Tyler. Yes, I said a LADY.

The Iron Ring show is a joke, too. I saw 8 seconds of one show and Ludacris was talking about how he is going to get in the gym and train with some of these guys. Uh, OK...
grappler0000
4/2/08 6:31:23PM

Posted by ohiostate1016

I watched that show with the parents who think their kid is going to be a star. There's a lady on there that looks exactly like Steven Tyler. Yes, I said a LADY.

'Dude Looks Like a Lady' comes to mind...and I agree, there is a resemblance there.
Sam_Rothstein
4/13/08 4:56:15AM
yeah well i guess you can take away the wes sims comment.

the only guy on his team that probably had any mma experience and he didnt end up even picking him.

I love how the arbitrator of the whole thing says the most off the wall stuff.

"YOU NEED A WARM UP!?!?!? IF A CAT COMES UP AND FIGHTS YOU IN THE STREET YOU DONT NEED A WARM UP!!!!.........MAYBE A COOL DOWN!"

the show has stoppages so bad it makes Steve Mazzagatti look good.

Everytime someone even gets a half ass submission (any knowledged mma fan knows would not submit anyone) i hear the coaches go "OH ITS OVER!!" and then they think its some miracle that the guy breaks out it when the whole time it was really just a sloppy guillotine from the guard.

I have heard the ratings on the show have made it the highest viewed premiere on BET, but at the same time it is BET.

Baldwin Hills, College Hill, hell even Keyshia Cole has her own show.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
disorderlyvision
4/13/08 8:00:31PM
I agree the show is horrible i actually watched the back episodes from bet.com. i just couldn't get into it. i tried to give it a shot, but i didnt have high hopes to begin with, so i wasnt as dissapointed. the show has no cohesiveness. it seems random. they have rappers talking about... well i dont know what the hell they are talking about. then it will cut to a sloppy ass fight with horrible camera angles and will cut away from the fight for reactions. all the teams have coaches except mayweather, he is the coach of his team. so im sure he will produce some well rounded submission fighters

Pookie
4/14/08 2:04:46AM
The thing that bugged me the most so far(and ive only seen 3 episodes) is when this dude and a standing arm triangle going, and it was deep. The dude being choked actually falls down and looks like hes seconds away from tapping. But he falls on the ropes and the referee immediately seperates the two and stands them up in the center. WTF!!!!!
Sam_Rothstein
4/27/08 1:43:24AM

Posted by Pookie

The thing that bugged me the most so far(and ive only seen 3 episodes) is when this dude and a standing arm triangle going, and it was deep. The dude being choked actually falls down and looks like hes seconds away from tapping. But he falls on the ropes and the referee immediately seperates the two and stands them up in the center. WTF!!!!!

hahahaha yes i remember that, and then dipsets roadie (trainer) started screaming "send him back to japan!!!!!" after he put the asian guy in the ropes and was doing a horrible job of ground and pound.

I also seem to think that they purposely pick the worst white fighters they can find to fight. Every white fighter ive seen has been from the deep south and has been horrible.
Pookie
4/27/08 1:50:15AM

Posted by Sam_Rothstein

Posted by Pookie

hahahaha yes i remember that, and then dipsets roadie (trainer) started screaming "send him back to japan!!!!!" after he put the asian guy in the ropes and was doing a horrible job of ground and pound.

I also seem to think that they purposely pick the worst white fighters they can find to fight. Every white fighter ive seen has been from the deep south and has been horrible.

oh yes thats a fact, there were many white fighters(99%) who were turned away even before auditions because thats not what BET wanted.
A few members from ATT specifically, i know were turned down for being white.

Kind of racist eh?
mrsmiley
4/27/08 5:05:56AM
I wish they would just get rid of Iron Ring and BET all together.That show is a cheap immitation of what Mixed Martial Arts is suppose to be about. I guess though,anything to try and make quick money off what's currently popular.give it a few years,or even months and crap like this will finaly go down the toilet.
Sam_Rothstein
4/28/08 4:08:47AM
Wow they turned down white fighters before the audition even? Think if the CMT turned away over 90% of its reality show contestants solely on their skin color. Al Sharpton would be on it like white on rice.

Im baffled by the fact that they would turn down American Top Team members, especially since all the white guys picked so far have been out of shape heavyweights who throw slow off target hay makers. In fact the only white guy I remember winning a fight so far, was a leaner looking white heavyweight got a tko stoppage against what else, an overweight white guy who was basically just throwing wild punches.

I also like there decision to drag the show on as long as they possibly can. It is on episode 7 and teams arent even selected yet.

I wonder how much the fighters are getting paid, even if they do make a team. Ive seen some very serious injuries so far during the fight.

On one of the more recent episodes a jiu jitsu guy had another fighter in an arm bar and so instead of trying to defend it he used all of his power and slammed the guy into the matt. Knocking out the jiu jitsu fighter, and dislocating his arm at the same time

jgtribbett
4/28/08 10:58:26PM
i dont know what to think about it
blkssncpt
4/29/08 1:09:50AM
this show sucks, ref are horrible and is one of them wear a DASHEEKEY(sp)???? the camara work looks lik shit and the worst part is everytime they go to the ground all the "trainers" start yelling " stand them up, there's too much grappling going on" WTF??? god this show sucks...............

anyways the only good part was seeing Krazy Horse punked the whole PSC crew that really was great. oh and Wes Simms was a joke

-Rob
Sam_Rothstein
5/2/08 4:50:01PM
they are now on episode 8 of this soon to be cancelled show, well thats just wishful thinking.

Team Ludacris has now picked 3 total fighters to be on his team, which is less then half of the fighters you need to complete a team.

I mean granted The Ultimate Fighter can be repetitive, at least you know what teams are by the first month. At this rate its gonna be Episode 30 before the teams are even picked.
mrsmiley
5/2/08 5:37:18PM
I can't get over how horrible it is.And to hell with Floyd Mayweather too!!!!!

He talks a big MMA game,then when he talks about going MMA he ends up in the WWE.

It wouldn't be as bad if he had gone back to boxing and left it alone,but no,he decides he's still going to talk like he's been in a few MMA fights and do the Iron Ring show.It's like being emo without cutting yourself.
I got a great idea.How about Mayweather fights Kurt Angle.It could be the fight with the theme of two guys who talk the talk,but in reality they have no MMA experince.

Loser has his mouth sown shut.
F--K_Luck_AuH2O
5/2/08 8:16:22PM
I browse MMA web-sites everyday...and I've never even heard of this. lol
Sam_Rothstein
5/25/08 5:24:55AM

Posted by F--K_Luck_AuH2O

I browse MMA web-sites everyday...and I've never even heard of this. lol

consider yourself very lucky. i havent watched last weeks episode. i think i might actually be able to turn my head away from this car accident once and for all

Dragonscale
5/25/08 2:06:26PM
Hopefully when they do the actual team fights it will be better *shrugs*

And I like that little skinny rappery guy always saying "I invented that" lol!