So I was watching Tim Sylvia kick the crap out of Cabbage again...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » So I was watching Tim Sylvia kick the crap out of Cabbage again...
AchillesHeel
3/21/07 1:25:55PM
Last night's "UFC Unleashed" featured Tim Sylvia's UFC debut, in which he used Cabbage Correira as a heavy bag for a round-and-a-half. It was hard not to notice Tim's physique. This was, of course, before he won the Heavyweight title and before he tested positive for steroids.

It was also hard not to notice the way he chased Cabbage around the Octagon and knocked him silly. Straight punches, uppercuts, hooks, haymakers, knees, even a couple of kicks (not very good kicks, but kicks nevertheless).

So I was wondering if maybe the 'roids gave Tim a mental edge that has since escaped him. I'm sure you've all heard of "Roid Rage", which never happened to Tim, but I think anybody who takes steroids experiences an increase in aggression.

Before testing positive for steroids, Tim had a 16-0 record, with 12 wins by (T)KO, 2 by Submission Hold, and 2 by Decision.

Since testing positive for steroids, he's been 7-3, with 4 wins by (T)KO and 3 by Decision.

Naturally, his opponents have gotten better, which is surely a factor. Cabbage ain't Randy Couture. Still... One wonders...
DirtySouthBoss
3/21/07 1:35:29PM
I did notice how much better of a fighter Tim looked when he fought cabbage. I was thinking to myself last night that it couldn't be the same gummy bear. I was impressed, whether it was the steriods or not I think he needs to lose 5-10 lbs and become more aggressive. Because as of now he is horrible to watch. Except if hes getting worked.
hippysmacker
3/21/07 1:36:35PM
Good points. I watched it again too, which is weird because I own the DVD. Whether it was roid induced agression, or Randy's right about him becoming more cautious, he was indeed more agressive then. The thing that most caught me were the combinations and willingness to grab for the clinch. He would do well to return to this form IMO.
warglory
3/21/07 1:44:29PM
I don't think Roids have anything to do with it personally, I think that it has more to do with his attitude. This was his debut performance in the biggest fighting ring in the world, and I'm sure he wanted to lay it all out, which he did. Sylvia is no coward, I just think ever since his last streak as champ, he wanted desperately to maintain his position at the preverbial top of the heap, and he did that by being cautious which worked for him, unfortunately for the fans though, it was an utter snorefest.

I really hope that Sylvia realizes that his cautious attitude finally got the better of him with his last fight, and he'll kick it into overdrive again.
roman
3/21/07 6:37:42PM

Posted by warglory

I don't think Roids have anything to do with it personally, I think that it has more to do with his attitude. This was his debut performance in the biggest fighting ring in the world, and I'm sure he wanted to lay it all out, which he did. Sylvia is no coward, I just think ever since his last streak as champ, he wanted desperately to maintain his position at the preverbial top of the heap, and he did that by being cautious which worked for him, unfortunately for the fans though, it was an utter snorefest.

I really hope that Sylvia realizes that his cautious attitude finally got the better of him with his last fight, and he'll kick it into overdrive again.

Amen dude. Lately every fighter who has tested positive for roids has lost. I have always said roids doesn't make the fighter.
jaba
3/21/07 7:34:34PM
Ya that fight was awesome, and if cabbage didnt get poked in the eye it prolly woulda been three rounds of that shit. Tim needs to get back on the roids, he shud just cycle thatshit so i dosn show on the test.
liverkick
3/22/07 11:03:05AM
Tim has gotten used to fighters being timid about getting inside his range. So every fight he simply peppers them with jabs over and over again trying to keep them at bay. Watch his fight with Randy. He is confused by Randy's approach so he reverts right back to his typical fight pattern. If he had let loose with his hands and kicks he might have won that fight. Roids have got nothing to do with it. In his last fight Randy just took advantage of Tim's predictability. I'm not a Sylvia fan at all, but if he would open up and fight like he meant it, he would be a contender again.
Great-Ajax
3/22/07 4:32:29PM
Big tim isnt shit without the juice
randyleprechaun
3/22/07 5:09:28PM

Posted by Great-Ajax

Big tim isnt shit without the juice

It had nothing to do with steroids! Granted Tims been more cautious since he won the title for the second time round but in that fight Correrias head and body movement was terrible, he was a sitting duck for a hungry Sylvia with nothing to lose and everything to gain.

To put it in laymans terms - 'Cabbage made Tim look good'......End Off!
taz3423
3/23/07 5:09:16PM
I think when Tim goes back up the ladder in the HW division he will be more aggressive. I mean if he ever has to fight Cro Cop he cant pull the shit he did during his last title run or he'll get destroyed. When Cro Cop starts pulling out his HL Reel KOs and winning over the fans, Tim will be looking to match that to gain some fans..

I don't enjoy Tim Sylvia. But I hope he atleast brings some excitement in his fights again. If I didnt love Randy so much that last fight may not have been as exciting as it was, and the last time Tim had a good fight was when he won the title from Arlovski..