Watching some old Pride fights

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Watching some old Pride fights
cmill21
3/24/09 8:11:01PM
So I was watching a couple of the Pride fights when the UFC guys came over, they were soooo nice to the UFC guys, and ex. Chuck is getting his ass handed to him by Rampage and Bas is still saying it's even. Just an observation as to how bias the UFC commentators are to their favs while Bas is impartial and awsome. Also pretty funny hearing how broken up Dana was while watching Chuck get it handed to him by some guy Dana didn't even know. lol

EDIT: Also another hilarious observation, at first Dana says he doesn't know much about the gameplan then later he says he's not following the gameplan and then tells us exactly what the gameplan was lol.
Aaronno9
3/24/09 8:51:25PM
I dunno, Ive noticed a few times when ive been watching my DVDs where the commentators have made it pretty clear they want the pride guy to win. Although bas is usually pretty fair.
telnights
3/24/09 8:56:51PM
The same could be said when the Pride guys finally came over to the UFC. They gave them tons of respect. CC and Shogun were suppose to be the next big thing but both fell way short of expectation. Both were going to be given tittle shots if they had won their fights but both of them lost. Rampage and Anderson both were also shown tons of respect both of them got tittle shots just after one fight in the UFC. Then you have Dan Henderson who got a direct tittle shot at both MW and LHW.
cmill21
3/24/09 9:18:34PM

Posted by telnights

The same could be said when the Pride guys finally came over to the UFC. They gave them tons of respect. CC and Shogun were suppose to be the next big thing but both fell way short of expectation. Both were going to be given tittle shots if they had won their fights but both of them lost. Rampage and Anderson both were also shown tons of respect both of them got tittle shots just after one fight in the UFC. Then you have Dan Henderson who got a direct tittle shot at both MW and LHW.

Little different since when those guys came over they were UFC fighters. Chuck, Vitor, Murilo, ect were all UFC fighters.
grappler0000
3/25/09 9:24:59AM

Posted by cmill21

So I was watching a couple of the Pride fights when the UFC guys came over, they were soooo nice to the UFC guys, and ex. Chuck is getting his ass handed to him by Rampage and Bas is still saying it's even. Just an observation as to how bias the UFC commentators are to their favs while Bas is impartial and awsome. Also pretty funny hearing how broken up Dana was while watching Chuck get it handed to him by some guy Dana didn't even know. lol

How does Bas making an inaccurate statement translate into the "UFC guys" being biased? If anything, saying that the Chuck/Rampage fight was even, could be considered a biased opinion. I like Bas a lot, but I definitely wouldn't use that as an example to call him impartial.

When the Pride guys signed with the UFC, they were talked about very highly as stated by Telnights. Since you see that as apples and oranges, we have very little to compare then. Unless I'm forgetting someone, the only fighters that I remember representing another org were Sakurai and Royce...and as I recall, they were treated just fine.
telnights
3/25/09 1:33:45PM

Posted by cmill21
Little different since when those guys came over they were UFC fighters. Chuck, Vitor, Murilo, ect were all UFC fighters.

Yes but they didn't hide the fact they were x-pride fighters. In fact they talked them up by saying they were great fighters and had done great things in Pride. When Dan came over and fought for the UFC tittle he was also fighting to keep his pride tittle. Maybe I'm not understanding what your trying to say but to me the UFC was very respectful of the Pride fighters.

But if your talking about either orgs being biased I have seen biases in both orgs. I have seen Pride many times favor Japanese fighters(fan favs) over others and UFC favor fan favs over others. This could be said for the announcers, Refs, Judges, and the org as a hole. I would even say it was worse in Pride back in the early days.
Jackelope
3/25/09 4:57:47PM
The counter argument would be that while the UFC fighters came to Pride, they were still fighting under the UFC Banner inside Pride. They had just signed a fight contract for that specific tournament.

Whereas when the Pride fighters came to the UFC (in most cases, anyway) they were fighting under extended contracts for the UFC. That, and the fact that when most of those guys made the transition (Hendo, CC, Wandy, etc.) the UFC had already bought and now owned the assets to Pride.

Now, I'm not saying I agree with either side. Although, I did notice this very same thing when watching those fights the other day. I think what it boils down to is you have to promote YOUR product. Even when those guys were fighting in Pride FOR the UFC, they were still broadcasting a PrideFC product regardless of who won- so there you have the middle of the road, and probably the most correct answer.

As for what happened... hey, Dana just used Sun Tzu's art of war tactics and defeated Pride. Kind of ironic considering those tactics were developed in Asia.

(BTW- I miss Pride, too)
cmill21
3/25/09 7:54:54PM
I was just observing Bas trying to make Dana feel better when his good friend and fighter Chuck was getting dismantled by one of Prides(at the time) lower top teir fighter when he could have easily tore him up. While Dana pulled a Shaw. lol