Did not watching the new TUF season affect my picks?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Did not watching the new TUF season affect my picks?
89vision
6/23/08 1:32:32PM
when i was making picks at the last TUF event i found myself having to guess on a few of the fights, i noticed riddle hadnt had any fights and dante had an impressive 10-2 record, and in another fight i noticed most of matt browns losses were by submission which is arroyos strength however i had never heard of matt brown only that he had beaten arroyo before, and in the finale once again i picked the experienced guy over amir sadollah who came into the fight with no fights according to sherdog beating the highly favored undefeated CB dollaway

did not watching the show hurt these picks?
fedorwins1
6/23/08 1:41:06PM
Kind of, Matt Riddle was a very good wrestler on the show and has good submissions, and sick KO power, so I figured he could control where the fight went and even though he is less experienced in MMA than Dante, he is better in every aspect except submissions.

If you hadn't seen Amir fight, then it's hard to know how good he is or what he's good at since he was 0-0 on Sherdog. C.B. has a great record, but on the show Amir submitted C.B.

I picked Arroyo over Brown to, but that didn't work out to well....
Aaronno9
6/23/08 1:41:23PM
Most likely it would of. If you'd watched you'd of seen that riddle is very impressive despite his lack of fights, and dante is about the most unoffensive fighters ive ever seen. Also, Amir beat CB on the show so that might of changed your mind, but i still picked CB even with that prior knowledge.

However, watching the show would probably of made you more confident in arroyo, as brown showed pretty poor takedown defence and a subpar ground game. I only picked him becouse i knew arroyo would fold once he got hit, he doesnt like being in a brawl, and thats exacly what brown wanted to give him.
xposipx
6/23/08 1:42:20PM
Well that and letting people on the board talk you into taking Stephens, ska boy.
holt8081
6/23/08 1:50:59PM
Im gunna go with...Yes.
Franklinfan47
6/23/08 2:11:56PM
Ya, in any situation where your making picks, without background information to analyze its hard to make solid predictions. I wouldn't feel too bad about the Arroyo-Brown fight, I think alot of us got screwed over on that one. Hell, I watched this season and I still picked Rivera and Dolloway .
89vision
6/23/08 2:34:55PM

Posted by xposipx

Well that and letting people on the board talk you into taking Stephens, ska boy.

actually it was spencer saying he was "jacked up" that made me change my mind
Darnok
6/23/08 2:55:54PM
I watched the whole season and still made crappy picks.
juanez13
6/23/08 3:02:44PM
I think it only affected your picks with the riddle/Dante fight.....Riddle was defenately one of the hot prospects comming out of the house with a bright looking future, and Dante never looked good on TUF, he looked in bad shape and sloppy, and his subs were the best part of his game, and with riddle having the better wrestling, i knew it was up to riddle were the fight took place.

The Arroyo/Brown fight i dont think it would have mattered, Brown wasnt all that impressive when he was on TUF, and Arroyo had been much more impressive......

same goes for Amir/CB fight, even though Amir beat CB, that fight was all CB until he got caught in that armbar in the last round, previous to that CB had dominated that whole fight, and looked like he was going to finish it a few times......CB was a favourite to those who watched the show also.......

Lucky though for you, cus this is the first season were very few guys from TUF were brought back, which i actually think its good, cus most of them dont deserve to (mike nickels anybody?)
fedorwins1
6/23/08 3:16:56PM

Posted by juanez13

Lucky though for you, cus this is the first season were very few guys from TUF were brought back, which i actually think its good, cus most of them dont deserve to (mike nickels anybody?)

There's a few I hope are going to be invited back like Gerald Harris, he was whooping Amir's ass before he lost. Jesse Taylor, I think will be invited back. Tim C. deserves to be in the UFC IMO also.
candynuts
6/23/08 3:36:18PM
Well, I didnt watch TUF and it affected my picks.
I've seen a few CB Dollaway fights before TUF and I thought for sure he'd win it.
I picked Rivera, Dollaway, and Arroyo... so yea, not watching definately affected my picks.
prozacnation1978
6/23/08 4:44:18PM
me as well, i didn't watch tuf at all since i don't have spike so i was a little off, in dec i did good but this time i lost every tuf fight, a tad upset
wolfman
6/23/08 10:11:31PM
This is the first season that I watched and I did horrible! I didn't watch 5 or 6 and had better scores with those two events, go figure.
JBatch
6/24/08 11:57:57AM
I am in agreement with the comment that it would have affected your Riddle v. Rivera pick but that could be it. I as well picked Riddle, Amir but had Arroyo. Matt Brown looks way better at 170 than 185.

I would love to see Matt Brown v. Marcus Davis.
Sam_Rothstein
6/25/08 2:04:22AM
I would say yes, but sometimes thats not true

I remember reading an article where a guy picked the fights for ufc 69 completely off of who had the better nick names.

He ended up doing very well on the event and was one of the few people to predict matt serras win over gsp.