just watched the griffin vs bonnar fight from the ultimate fighter 1....

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » just watched the griffin vs bonnar fight from the ultimate fighter 1....
xchickox
3/5/07 5:08:22PM
...that absolutely insane...probably the best fight i have ever seen...proper toe to toe for the whole 15 minutes
jdubs
3/5/07 5:19:19PM

Posted by xchickox

...that absolutely insane...probably the best fight i have ever seen...proper toe to toe for the whole 15 minutes

was the best fight i ever seen THE 1ST TIME i saw it!!
hippysmacker
3/5/07 5:24:38PM
One of the best standup wars no doubt. I wouldn't say it was a technicians dream , but it did catapult MMA into the main stream in the US. I would most likely call it the most important MMA fight for the sport's promotion of it's time.
Trapt1nw0nder
3/5/07 6:24:30PM
i didnt like it......i will rather watch a technical war and have the sense in my mind that either fighter can knock the other out with a single blow...that 2 gassed fighters going at it with nothing behind their punches

it was good,but way over-rated IMO
xchickox
3/5/07 6:28:44PM
dont get me wrong i absolutely love a technical fight with submissions, ground and pound and stand up but its also good to see one hell of a slug fest
poll77
3/5/07 6:34:31PM
It was a great fight, yeah it wasn't the most technical or whatever but what can you expect from two guys in a reality show. They weren't the best in their overall weight class just the best on the show. It was probably as good as a fight as you could expect from the two fighters.
xthe_scottx
3/5/07 6:39:51PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

i didnt like it......i will rather watch a technical war and have the sense in my mind that either fighter can knock the other out with a single blow...that 2 gassed fighters going at it with nothing behind their punches

it was good,but way over-rated IMO

The intensity more than makes up for the lack of technique IMO. This was one of the first fights I ever saw and it is still one of the best fights I've seen.
madmarck
3/5/07 6:45:44PM

Posted by xchickox

dont get me wrong i absolutely love a technical fight with submissions, ground and pound and stand up but its also good to see one hell of a slug fest

It wasnt about Striking or BJJ or any skill. Those guys jsut went in and threw down. Both were well liked goin in and the put so much heart into that fight. Heart is what makes a fight good. It just breeds intenisty and a never quit attitude. Just wathc the 3rd round of that fight. Those guys are getting tired and they jsut keep going after each other.
Yes that fight is over hyped. By in terms of decisions. i think it is 2nd only to Robbie Lawler vs Chris Lytle.
Trapt1nw0nder
3/6/07 11:41:27AM

Posted by poll77

It was a great fight, yeah it wasn't the most technical or whatever but what can you expect from two guys in a reality show. They weren't the best in their overall weight class just the best on the show. It was probably as good as a fight as you could expect from the two fighters.

Ed Herman vs Kendall Grove was a fight in a reality show and IMO that fight was much more entertaining

i liked the Griffin/Bonnar fight the 1st time i saw it,but i just cant sit down and watch that fight again(too long to watch 2 guys that look like they're fighting under-water)....Griffin/Edgar...Grove/Herman.. i can watch over and over,same with all Nick Diaz fights
madmarck
3/6/07 2:18:50PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by poll77

Ed Herman vs Kendall Grove was a fight in a reality show and IMO that fight was much more entertaining

i liked the Griffin/Bonnar fight the 1st time i saw it,but i just cant sit down and watch that fight again(too long to watch 2 guys that look like they're fighting under-water)....Griffin/Edgar...Grove/Herman.. i can watch over and over,same with all Nick Diaz fights

Griffin/ Bonnar 1 was the stand up version of the greatest Tuf fight
Grove/Herman was the ground version
Cummo/ Stevenson is the overatted version.
SICKRICK
3/6/07 2:20:36PM
dead on.. absolutly griifin bonnar fight greatest of all time
Trapt1nw0nder
3/6/07 2:54:09PM
if you all wanna see a truly great stand-up war its not even in MMA...watch some of boxing's best wars ,then you will see how sloppy Griffin/Bonner were.....i think thats why i dislike it so much,cuz i am the biggest boxing fan....Boxing is the only sport i still like more than MMA

wanna watch a great stand up war watch Morales vs Barrera 1& 2....Manny Pacquiao vs Morales 1....Pacquiao vs Marquez....Castillo vs Corrales 1......sh!tload of them!
JimiMak
3/6/07 4:29:14PM
Personally I like any war. When you get two evenly matched fighters giving it their all, there's nothing like it. That's why I watch any mma I can, not just the big two. Fighters don't have to be great to be good to watch. I'd rather watch Griffen/ Bonnar 1 than a great one second ko because one guy got lucky or the other guy was out classed.
madmarck
3/6/07 7:06:12PM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

if you all wanna see a truly great stand-up war its not even in MMA...watch some of boxing's best wars ,then you will see how sloppy Griffin/Bonner were.....i think thats why i dislike it so much,cuz i am the biggest boxing fan....Boxing is the only sport i still like more than MMA

wanna watch a great stand up war watch Morales vs Barrera 1& 2....Manny Pacquiao vs Morales 1....Pacquiao vs Marquez....Castillo vs Corrales 1......sh!tload of them!

Boxing is good and all. But having big strong looping punches can be good in MMA. Just ask Chuck, or Cro Cop.
CC fights totally different in K1 and MMA, you can notice a distincve difference in his striking.
Broknmunky
3/9/07 3:00:59AM

Posted by hippysmacker

One of the best standup wars no doubt. I wouldn't say it was a technicians dream , but it did catapult MMA into the main stream in the US. I would most likely call it the most important MMA fight for the sport's promotion of it's time.

I agree! It catapulted mma into the mainstream for the U.S. sports. The sport was already growing and since that fight it has douobled if not tripled IMO!
Broknmunky
3/9/07 3:19:09AM

Posted by Trapt1nw0nder

Posted by poll77

You say fighting under water, but have you tried slugging it out and giving all you got for 15 minutes? I'm just saying IMO they wore theirselves out but managed to stay standing no matter what shots they took for 15 min. When you can do that, I'll tip my hat to you sir!