What to watch during the television writers' strike...

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » What to watch during the television writers' strike...
Next Page »
AchillesHeel
12/26/07 12:56:31PM
Whether by DVD or download, there are about a zillion good television shows available, and even the best of us (or is it the worst?) have only seen half-a-zillion of them. So here are some recommendations for you to watch over the next few months (or more - who knows?), while this writers' strike continues.

In no particular order...

1. Battlestar Galactica (2003): This is the recent remake, not the 1970s original. Start with the miniseries, then go to Season 1, Season 2, and Season 2.5. Don't assume this is just another sci-fi geek show. It's one of the best character dramas of the last twenty years and features a breakout cast of fantastic actors whom you've mostly never heard of.

Note that if you choose to buy this show, the miniseries DVDs are packaged with the Season 1 discs, but the miniseries is also sold separately. Places like Best Buy sometimes display both boxes side-by-side, without making the distinction apparent. Don't buy both, you only need the Season 1 boxed set.

2. Prime Suspect, 1-7: If you like gritty crime dramas like "Law & Order", this show is for you.

3. Touching Evil 1-3: Another UK crime-drama. The US version was actually quite good, but I don't think it's been released to DVD.

4. Homicide: Life on the Street: More crime-drama.

5. Once and Again: A grown up drama that isn't preachy or condescending or melodramatic. A show about people. Naturally, it didn't last very long. More engaging than "Party of Five", imo, but if you liked the one, you'll probably find the other enjoyable too.

6. Damages: Sort of a weird show, but if you're hung up on genres and categorizations and neat little cubby-holes in which to file things, you and I aren't on the same wavelength anyway. This series sort of reminds me of Adrian Pasdar's "Profit."

7. Rescue Me: Denis Leary's cynical humor brought to life. Seems to have run out of steam for me in the last season, but the first couple of seasons are fantastic.

8. The Wire: I've only just started this one myself, but it's darn good so far. It's many of the guys who made "Homicide: Life on the Street".

9. ER - the early years: Now that it's not being shoved down your throat from the cover of every magazine on the shelf, you should give it a go. Once upon a time, it really was worth all the hype.

10. La Femme Nikita: A love story wrapped in a stylish espionage drama.

...unless you want to watch more of those crappy "reality" shows, in which case, knock yourself out.
tuvok500
12/26/07 1:17:19PM
Battlestar Galactica is simply the best series ever !!!

hotrodttt
12/26/07 1:54:18PM
1. Heroes A great Action series about people with strange abilities try to save the world.

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
candynuts
12/26/07 2:04:55PM
This... (Aqua Teen Hunger Force) The television show OR Movie

This is an underrated gem... (Assy McGee)

A hilarious show no longer on (Sealab 2021, a revamp of the 70's version)

DCRage
12/26/07 2:11:38PM
Don't forget Battlestar Galactica: Razor (now on DVD) and Season 3 (available from Amazon Unbox for download, I got it while it was still on iTunes). I'll be downloading football soon, iTunes will again have the Fox Bowl Bash available-all the BCS games except the Rose Bowl and the Cotton Bowl. And if you missed it, buy the season pass and they'll throw in last year's Fiesta Bowl classic (Boise State-Oklahoma). Otherwise I'll catch up on DVDs I've bought and movies I've both bought and downloaded (I must be desperate, just downloaded National Lampoon's Van Wilder [unrated] and both Tomb Raider films-yeah, mostly to see Angelina Jolie in that tight outfit).
loller90278
12/26/07 2:35:14PM
arrested development: probably the best comedy series ever made. check out all the seasons on dvd

dexter: probably the best series ever made. check out seasons 1-2
TNunley
12/26/07 3:45:43PM

Posted by hotrodttt

1. Heroes A great Action series about people with strange abilities try to save the world.

I agree man, Heroes is/was one of the best TV shows I have seen in a while... they already have chapter 3: Villains written, so if the writer's strike ends, we could see them soon... if the strike continues, we'll have to wait until next fall. At least we will get at least one more run.
loonytnt
12/26/07 4:14:32PM
im on mmaplayground to much to watch anything other then mma
postman
12/26/07 5:14:42PM

Posted by loller90278

arrested development: probably the best comedy series ever made. check out all the seasons on dvd

Dexter and Weeds are the two shows I have to watch every week.
iwannabesedated
12/26/07 5:36:08PM
I always have my South Park Dvd's
Aqua Teen hunger Force as well
Man Vs Wild
That 70's show and Married with Children Reruns.

Pretty much anything that isn't a reality show i can watch.Unless your with your girl or something.Chicks dig those reality dating shows.
AchillesHeel
12/27/07 12:36:18PM

Posted by postman

Dexter and Weeds are the two shows I have to watch every week.

I've been meaning to see both of those, actually. I'll have to add them to my Netflix queue.
AchillesHeel
1/21/08 11:56:23AM

Posted by loller90278

I just started watching the first season of Dexter. A+ stuff, so far.

pdanke
1/25/08 11:57:33PM
I will always recommend Season 1 of the Upright Citizen's Brigade. Classic comedy.

"I wanna kick ass so bad!"
Mastodon2
1/26/08 6:32:49AM
Dexter is badass, I havnt seen Season two yet on account of the fact they havnt aired it yet in the UK, but season one was awesome!

Thankfully the writers strike isn't really affecting us over here, our writers didn't follow suit and strike, so we got quality English programming as usual. And we still got Shameless! Anyone who lives in the UK will know how ace this program is

hippysmacker
1/26/08 6:52:45AM
I gotta agree with
1. Battlestar gallactica
2. Le Femme Nikita
3. Dexter
4. heroes
would add
5. Scrubs- buy the season from the beginning/ Hilarious show, currently in it's last season.
6. Millenium- Made by the guy who did the X-ciles. Whole series is on DVD, and it;s excellent.
7. Firefly- Whole brief series also on DVD, and there is a movie names Serenity based off the series that is also great.
8. Farscape- One of the great sci-fi shows ever IMo. Whole series also on DVd.
9. House- If you haven't watched it your missing out. Genius. Buy the first 2 season son DVD , and catch up on season 3.
10. Bones- Like a cross between moonlighting and CSI. Goo d stuff, great characters. Buy first 2 seasons, latch on to 3rd.

I'll add more if I think of them. I would like to add if you never saw La Femme Nikita, i think it is the greatest show in Tv History.
D0wnUnd6e6r
1/26/08 7:57:18AM
The guys from the death metal band Dethklok actually have a cartoon show going on about their caricatured selves. You all definitely have to check it out...

METALOCALYPSE!!!!!!

Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
hippysmacker
2/3/08 3:02:10PM
I want to also add
11. Psych.

It's about a guy who is hyper-observant like sherlock Holmes. he had called in so many tips on crimes just while watching the news, and was right each time, that the police thought he was in on a crime. To cover that and find a way to work for the police, he claimed to be a physic.

12. Burn Notice- It was a summer replacement on the USA network, and did so well in the ratings they ordered anew full season. It's like a cross between McGuyver and Spencer for hire. Those shows might be too olds for many who read this, but they were both good in their time. Ex- CIA superspy gets fired( a burn notice in spy lingo) and goes home to Miami. There he works with some other black op types to basically hire out his services , and find out who burned him and why.
Boo_Radley21
2/3/08 3:32:41PM

Posted by D0wnUnd6e6r

The guys from the death metal band Dethklok actually have a cartoon show going on about their caricatured selves. You all definitely have to check it out...

METALOCALYPSE!!!!!!

Haha metalocalypse is an awesome show.
Cladrix
2/3/08 4:10:58PM

Arrested Development has to be one of the funniest shows ever created by mankind. The show was canceled but the three seasons it had are on DVD now. Plus a movie might be in the works too.

Its always sunny in Philadelphia is also another funny show. Third season just ended and Season 1 and 2 are on DVD.
THE_DRiZzLE
2/3/08 4:29:47PM

Posted by loller90278

AchillesHeel
2/3/08 4:43:20PM
I'm on to "Weeds" now...

Posted by hippysmacker

I want to also add

12. Burn Notice

Is that out on DVD yet? Definitely a fun show.

Another I'd recommend is "Damages", with Rose Byrne and Glenn Close.

hippysmacker
2/5/08 3:19:19AM
Don't know if its on DVD yet, but burn notice got good enough ratings that they picked it up for season 2, and it will air this summer. They will probably start replaying season 1 soon enough for any who missed it.
DCRage
2/5/08 8:21:43AM
I think it's available on iTunes, they usually put up episodes the morning after they air. Not sure how much it is for the season, I can check when I get home from work today (can only use iTunes on my home PC).
CWall33
2/5/08 10:07:29AM
1) Don't really understand the hatred for reality TV, but I'm into most of it. Survivor and Big Brother are starting up within the week. Also, Celebrity Apprentice is chugging along, though it's not as good as previous seasons. Flavor of Love 3 is starting up next week. Funny as hell, but I can totally see why some would hate it. However, like most everyone else, I'm tired of American Idol.

2) High Stakes Poker on GSN (game show network) is the best poker show running right now, if you're into that kind of thing. Huge cash pots, interesting high profile players, good commentary (Mr. Kotter can be quite clever).

3) Firefly and Serenity.

4) Firefly and Serenity.

5) Firefly and Serenity.
DCRage
2/5/08 10:15:37AM

Posted by CWall33

1) Don't really understand the hatred for reality TV

Mainly because...
A-way too much of it on.

B-some of the concepts they come up with are in rather bad taste.

C-Survivor got old about 14 cycles ago.

D-Idol keeps getting worse.

E-the couples-to-be never last.

F-we never see the really good stuff, even on Big Brother After Dark.

G-whatever I missed.

With any luck the strike will be over soon, rumors are they're on the verge of a deal. Maybe in the next 2-3 weeks.
DCRage
2/5/08 5:47:24PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Don't know if its on DVD yet, but burn notice got good enough ratings that they picked it up for season 2, and it will air this summer. They will probably start replaying season 1 soon enough for any who missed it.

It is on iTunes, the whole first season is $19.99 for 12 episodes, which compared to buying them individually is getting 2 episodes free. You don't need an iPod to watch them on your PC.
TNunley
2/7/08 11:57:51AM
First off, I wanted to say I watched Dexter because Loller suggested it... props to you Loller. I watched that show during every moment I had down time after I saw the first episode. It took me about 4 or 5 weeks, but I watched the first and second season. Netflix had it in the "Watch Instantly" category.

Also, gotta agree with Hippysmacker. Burn notice was an awesome show. I hated that I had to wait a whole year after the finale... but summer will be here again soon. I would definitely recommend it to anyone. Jeffrey Donovan always seems to be in entertaining roles. If you never got to see it, his remake of Touching Evil was a pretty good one while it lasted.
DCRage
2/7/08 12:24:04PM
I'll soon have one more thing to watch, just found out that South Park returns for season 12 next month.
AchillesHeel
2/7/08 1:07:08PM
Battlestar Galactica returns next month, too.
emfleek
2/7/08 1:27:25PM
I love Survivor. New season starts tonight.

And according to the ratings, it's never gotten old.
Pages: [1] 2