Does anyone watch soccer? or futball as some people call it.

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » Does anyone watch soccer? or futball as some people call it.
blakeon
7/29/08 10:45:16AM
if so what leugue and whos your fav. team?
juanez13
7/29/08 10:50:26AM
Yea i follow soccer, Its the only other sport I follow almost as much as i follow MMA (not quite there though).

Follow mostly the English Premier League, and Italian Serie A. Favorite Teams -> Inter De Milan, and Man U.
blakeon
7/29/08 10:57:02AM
I mainly follow premiere to.
1)manchester United.
2)chelsea
3)liverpool.

but i also follow spanish premera
1)barcelona
2)madrid
3)sporting

manchester has giggs. barcelona has etto'o.
it would be interesting to see who would win.
DCRage
7/29/08 10:58:42AM
I only watch occasionally, mainly during the World Cup. Otherwise it's MLS (Major League Soccer) since D.C. United (some call us DC U-nay-ted) is the hometown team. Otherwise I may peek in on futbol on Spanish-language channels, especially if Andres Cantor is calling the games.
juanez13
7/29/08 11:00:28AM
Yea i also follow the Spanish league as much as do to the other with the other leagues, but anyways Barcelona>Real Madrid
bullettdodger
7/29/08 11:54:09AM
I'm an EPL man flying the Arsenal Flag.

I do enjoy the spanish premera. There i support Real Madrid.... so basically Spain's National team, is god to me!
owen1
7/29/08 12:09:47PM
Ya I always watch the English premiership.
I support Liverpool!!!
I will watch pretty much any league bcoz I love the sport but the premiership is the best with the Spanish 2nd and Italian 3rd.
jiujitsufreak74
7/29/08 3:19:13PM
I watch both the FA Premiership and the Scottish Premier League. I follow Chelsea (yes, i am heartbroken...so close...so very close last season) and the Glasgow Celtic. John Terry and Frank Lampard are my favorite players and when Terry slipped for his PK against Man U during the Champions League Final i literally shed a tear. Soccer is a beautiful sport and i recommend it to any sports fan.
murphy_16
7/29/08 3:50:17PM
i watch english premier league none of that italian crap and i support Manchester United sice i was 3 and David Beckham has always been my favourite player i also have began to become sort of a Sunderland or Sund-ireland fan since keano went over there i also watch the occassional Toronto FC game. Soccer is my favourite sport i watch it everyday on Setanta or Sky sports im probably one of the biggest soccer fans here.
AchillesHeel
7/29/08 4:03:10PM
I follow the New England Revolution in MLS, the US Open Cup, the SuperLiga, and the CONCACAF Champions Cup. Not all of those matches are aired, though.

I also follow the U.S. men's and women's national teams, so I'll be setting my DVR to record the Olympic matches next month (the men are up against the Dutch, Nigerians, and Japanese; the women face Norway, Japan and New Zealand).

CONCACAF World Cup 2010 qualifying has begun, so I'll be watching the US matches. Probably won't bother watching other teams until/unless it gets interesting. Mexico-Honduras could be worth watching.

I'll keep an eye out for some Champions League matches to record. I don't think we get any of the qualifiers over here, but I think I'll be able to watch some of the Group Stage.

I get Fox Soccer Channel, which shows weekend English Premiere League matches, 2-3 on Saturdays and a "match of the week" on Sunday. It makes it almost impossible to follow any particular teams, though.
Aaronno9
7/29/08 8:00:02PM

Posted by blakeon

3)sporting

manchester has giggs. barcelona has etto'o.
it would be interesting to see who would win.

Man united beat them in the champions league just a few months ago.

Ive got a season ticket for newcastle united. I pretty much follow whatever football i can. Alan Shearer = god.
blakeon
7/29/08 8:07:33PM
they already played??? i didnt know this. hmm.... i wonder if i can find it. what was the final score?
Aaronno9
7/29/08 8:20:12PM
Um, i think man united won 1-0. Paul scholes scored.
Cladrix
7/29/08 9:37:02PM
I am a huge fan of soccer...... Being from Argentina I bleed Yellow and Blue.... Meaning my favorite team is Boca Jrs. Although the past 2 or 3 seasons they have sucked horribly.

I also Follow Italian soccer.... English Premier league and Spanish Primera. No favorite teams there I just catch any game that is on to watch great players play.

Is anybody else excited for the Under-23 soccer championships in the Olympics??? I seriously can't wait. That is the only reason I will watch the Olympics. And by the way.... Argentina is taking the Gold home!!!!
AchillesHeel
7/30/08 12:49:08PM

Posted by Cladrix

Is anybody else excited for the Under-23 soccer championships in the Olympics??? I seriously can't wait. That is the only reason I will watch the Olympics. And by the way.... Argentina is taking the Gold home!!!!

I don't know the Argentine U23s at all. I see you're in Group A with Ivory Coast, Australia, and Serbia. A1 faces B2 in the Quarterfinals, so USA-v-Argentina is a definite possibility.

The Argentine women are grouped against China, Sweden, and Canada, so they'll probably be lucky to steal a point before going home.
AchillesHeel
7/30/08 12:59:54PM
USA Men's Olympic team:

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Chivas USA), Chris Seitz (Real Salt Lake)

Defenders: Patrick Ianni (Houston Dynamo), Michael Orozco (San Luis), Michael Parkhurst (New England Revolution), Nathan Sturgis (Real Salt Lake), Marvell Wynne (Toronto FC)

Midfielders: Freddy Adu (SL Benfica), Michael Bradley (SC Heerenveen), Maurice Edu (Toronto FC), Benny Feilhaber (Derby County), Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Danny Szetela (Brescia Calcio)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Villarreal), Charlie Davies (Hammarby IF), Brian McBride (out of contract), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew)

USA Women's Olympic team:

Goalkeepers: Nicole Barnhart, Hope Solo

Defenders: Rachel Buehler, Lori Chalupny, Stephanie Cox, Kate Markgraf, Heather Mitts, Christie Rampone

Midfielders: Shannon Boxx, Tobin Heath, Angela Hucles, Carli Lloyd, Heather O'Reilly, Lindsay Tarpley, Aly Wagner

Forwards: Natasha Kai, Amy Rodriguez, Abby Wambach

Wambach got injured in the friendly against Brazil - which was pretty much the worst possible thing that might have happened in that match - and I'm not sure who's replacing her on the roster.
Cladrix
8/1/08 4:05:42PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

Posted by Cladrix

I don't know the Argentine U23s at all. I see you're in Group A with Ivory Coast, Australia, and Serbia. A1 faces B2 in the Quarterfinals, so USA-v-Argentina is a definite possibility.

The Argentine women are grouped against China, Sweden, and Canada, so they'll probably be lucky to steal a point before going home.

Heres Argentina's Line-up......

Goalkeepers: Oscar Ustari (Getafe CF) and Sergio Romero (AZ Alkmaar).

Defenders: Pablo Zabaleta (RCD Espanyol), Ezequiel Garay (Real Madrid CF), Federico Fazio (Sevilla FC), Nicolas Burdisso (FC Inter Milan) and Fabian Monzon (Boca Juniors).

Midfielders: Fernando Gago (Real Madrid CF), Ever Banega (Valencia CF), Javier Mascherano (Liverpool FC), Juan Roman Riquelme (Boca Juniors), Angel Di Maria (SL Benfica), Jose Sosa (Bayern Munich) and Diego Buonanotte (River Plate).

Forwards: Lionel Messi (FC Barcelona), Ezequiel Lavezzi (SSC Napoli), Lautaro Acosta (Sevilla FC) and Sergio Agüero (Atletico Madrid).

I think some changes will be made because Messi might not go because Barcelona are not letting him go. The FIFA is already pressuring Barcelona to let him go but I guess they don't want to let him. We'll have to wait and see. All in all I am happy with this team they formed.

The Argentine Womens team is horrible. They always end up losing all three games by a huge score.
Rabi
8/1/08 7:38:21PM
I follow English Football and I am a Coventry City fan, they are in the championship which is the second tier of english football.
Aaronno9
8/1/08 8:39:22PM
Looks like the argies are sending a good squad to the olympics, should be a good tourney.
MMAcca
8/2/08 4:23:23AM
I follow the English Premier League religiously, but will pretty much watch any football at all.

I'm a Manchester United fan and i also like to follow Middlesbrough FC, my local team.
AchillesHeel
8/5/08 10:47:13AM
After punching an opposing player and head-butting a stadium employee, Cuauhtemoc Blanco was suspended from US Open Cup matches for two years...

Cladrix
8/5/08 6:50:54PM

Posted by AchillesHeel

After punching an opposing player and head-butting a stadium employee, Cuauhtemoc Blanco was suspended from US Open Cup matches for two years...

Cuauthemoc Blanco is a douche!!!!
AchillesHeel
8/6/08 10:52:37AM
Poor start for the American women, losing 2-0 to Norway. Both goals came off brain-cramp defensive lapses in the first four minutes of the game. Norway fielded 9 or 10 players I'd never heard of before, and seems to have improved. It's nice to see a traditional power get back into the mix after struggling for a few years... I just wish they hadn't chosen this particular match...

Posted by Cladrix

Cuauthemoc Blanco is a douche!!!!

Yeah, apparently.
AchillesHeel
8/7/08 10:25:41AM
The American men weren't a whole lot better than the women, despite winning the match, 1-0 over Japan. The Japanese created more and better chances but struggled with finishing. Our goal was a bit of a gift, and remains our first in the run of play in three matches.

Based on these performances, both American teams face an uphill battle. The men, having stolen 3 points, still face their toughest tests, Nigeria and the Netherlands (who probably didn't do us a favor by playing to a draw). The women lost to their only serious competition, but still have to find some offense to defeat Japan and New Zealand; a couple of goalless draws will almost certainly buy them an early ticket home.
Cladrix
8/7/08 1:06:21PM
Argentina just won...... They beat Ivory Coast 2-1.

Messi and Acosta scored the goals. It was a pretty tough game for Argentina. But they managed to win against Their toughest opponent.
AchillesHeel
8/8/08 11:18:14AM
It was interesting to see FC Barcelona against New York Red Bulls. It was a pre-season friendly for Barca and a mid-season friendly for NY. Barca didn't have Messi, and 6 starters played only 45 minutes, but it looked like they put a decent side on the field.

The match reinforced my opinion that MLS is comparable to a good European 2nd division, after only 12 years. New York is a pretty mediocre MLS team, currently tied for 9th among MLS' 14 teams, with 22 points in 18 games.

Scoring Summary: New York Red Bulls 2 - 6 FC Barcelona.

FCB -- Xavi Hernandez (Daniel Alves ) 17; Samuel Eto'o (Xavi Hernandez ) 18; Rafael Alverz Marquez (Andres Lujan Iniesta, Xavi Hernandez) 24; Samuel Eto'o (Alexander Hleb ) 43; Jeffren Suarez (Carles Puyol ) 80; Pedro Ramirez (Jeffren Suarez, Eidur Gudjohnsen) 85

NY -- Seth Stammler 1 (Dave van den Bergh ) 30; Jorge Rojas 1 (Jeff Parke ) 60

FC Barcelona: Victor Valdes, Daniel Alves (Gerrard Pique 46), Rafael Alverz Marquez (Jose Martin 62), Carles Puyol, Eric Abidal, Alexander Hleb (Sergio Busquets 46), Andres Lujan Iniesta (Toure Yaya 46), Xavi Hernandez (Eidur Gudjohnsen 46), Seydou Keita (Bojan Krkic Perez 46), Samuel Eto'o (Pedro Ramirez 46), Thierry Henry (Jeffren Suarez 61).

Substitutes Not Used: Marc Crosas, Jose Manuel Pinto

New York Red Bulls: Jon Conway (Caleb Patterson-Sewell 46), Chris Leitch, Carlos Mendes (Luke Sassano 66), Jeff Parke, Kevin Goldthwaite (Andrew Boyens 88), Dave van den Bergh (Sinisa Ubiparipovic 72), Jorge Rojas, Juan Pietravallo, Seth Stammler, Danleigh Borman (Gabriel Cichero 46), Juan Pablo Angel.

Substitutes Not Used: Hunter Freeman, John Gilkerson, Diego Jimenez, Gordon Kljestan, Mike Magee, Chris Megaloudis, David Roth
AchillesHeel
8/10/08 4:20:18PM
The Netherlands were lucky - lucky - to have stolen a point from us this morning. We kicked their a**es.
AchillesHeel
8/20/08 1:04:16PM
Three matches for me coming up: the US men are at Guatemala in World Cup qualifying and New England is hosting DC United in MLS tonight, and the US women are in the Gold Medal match against Brazil tomorrow morning.

And ESPN says Andrei Shevchenko could return to AC Milan, which I think would be aces.

OTOH, they're also saying Kaka could go to Chelsea.
Aaronno9
8/20/08 1:18:22PM
Apparantly Milan will only accept an offer of around 110 million euros for kaka
AchillesHeel
8/22/08 10:55:38AM

The men's final - Argentina vs. Nigeria - is late tonight (0500 UTC, I believe, but don't quote me on that), and tomorrow morning, I'll have to choose between Borussia Dortmund-Bayern Munich and Fulham-Arsenal on television.