Washington DC & MMA

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Washington DC & MMA
zephead
5/10/07 3:50:38PM
Eleven and a half years and two miles. The former is the amount of time since Sen. John McCain began a crusade against mixed martial arts, calling it human cockfighting and getting it banned from pay-per-view.

LINK
szucconi
5/10/07 3:58:19PM
I will be at this show in the first row. I will let you know how it goes.
ChicagoCobra
5/10/07 7:18:22PM
Does John McCain still have the same view on MMA as he did eleven years ago?
zephead
5/10/07 8:57:32PM

Posted by szucconi

Where from MAryland? I'm in Carroll County. I'm going if everything goes good Saturday
elgigante
5/10/07 11:02:54PM
ill be front row for this too. See you guys there.
Manfred
5/11/07 1:28:21AM
Here's another LINK for non-members. Your's didn't seem to work. Seems to happen with your MMA Weekly posts.
szucconi
5/11/07 10:55:35AM

Posted by zephead

Posted by szucconi

Where from MAryland? I'm in Carroll County. I'm going if everything goes good Saturday

I am in carroll county as well. In Finksburg.
NME
5/11/07 11:52:46AM

Posted by szucconi

So is there parking at the DC Armory or are we going to have to find a parking garage at some point?

Also, can you make it to my place at 3pm or so? I'll probably call you anyway, I doubt I'll check this thread for any of the answers to my questions.
szucconi
5/11/07 12:21:23PM

Posted by NME

Posted by szucconi

So is there parking at the DC Armory or are we going to have to find a parking garage at some point?

Also, can you make it to my place at 3pm or so? I'll probably call you anyway, I doubt I'll check this thread for any of the answers to my questions.

I don't know about parking. I will be there by 3. I will drive, but I have not idea how to get there. I'll drive if you navigate and that includes finding parking.
NME
5/11/07 4:10:59PM

Posted by szucconi

Posted by NME

Posted by szucconi

I don't know about parking. I will be there by 3. I will drive, but I have not idea how to get there. I'll drive if you navigate and that includes finding parking.

Sure, that's fine. I have directions.
szucconi
5/11/07 4:42:59PM
we could take the metro into the city. I haven't done that before, but its an option.
zephead
5/11/07 5:39:52PM

Posted by szucconi

Posted by zephead

Posted by szucconi

I am in carroll county as well. In Finksburg.

Eldersburg for me. Small world
NME
5/11/07 9:49:10PM

Posted by zephead

So did/do you go to Liberty?
elgigante
5/12/07 1:45:47AM

Posted by szucconi

we could take the metro into the city. I haven't done that before, but its an option.

go from new carrolton if you do. its an easy access point that gets you out of town quickly without having to drive through the pain in the ass that is DC
zephead
5/12/07 11:39:12AM

Posted by NME

Posted by zephead

So did/do you go to Liberty?

No. I grew up in PG County. I moved with the misses and kids to Eldersburg 4 years ago. My son goes to Century
Dadaman
5/12/07 1:46:47PM
MMACDC IS TODAY!

I got tickets and im going with a couple of friends. ill let you all know how it is.
szucconi
5/13/07 3:58:19AM
This was a great show and I had a lot of fun. Me and my buddy, NME, had basicly the best seats in the house. We sat front row center directly behind the announcers table.

My personal highlights include.
-Antwain Britt knocking out Patrick Barretine. This was a heavy weight bout and both fighters had less then great conditioning (they were fat), but the fight was one quick flurry of action. Britt was fun to watch fight and even more fun to watch celebrate. He threw his mouth piece out to the crowd and it landed about three seats away from me.

-Jose Edson Conterraneo Franca crushed Rocky Bastastini. Rocky looked like he was just a puncher and Franca was dominant on his feet as well as the ground. Late in the second round Rocky fell out of the ring and landed on a table which promptly fell over. He decided he was hurt and the ref gave him five minutes to recover. I thought this was BS and I started to a "Rocky" chant. His rest didn't help, but he did go the distance. As a side note, Bastastini wore red white and blue trunks. I thought it was lame and he proved he was lame. He was like Rocky V.

-Chris Manuel summited Killa B. Niimi. The 19 year old Manuel was impressive and controlled the fight. This was a flyweight match (145lbs) and maybe one of the best of the night. I would say that I would expect to see Manuel in UFC, but since they don't have 145 then I would think not. As a side note to this great fight, there was some action in the crowd between round one and round two of this fight. Apparently, a women put a man in a rear naked choke and he blacked out. When she let him go he fell to the ground and his head bounced like a basketball. To the best of our knowledge, they didn't know each other and she just came from behind and choked him. I am sure she had a reason, we just don't know it. She looked to be about 135lbs max and he was about 180lbs. This delayed the start of the second round and even the fighters were interested. The second round started and was about half over when everyone was paying attention again.

-Herbert "The Gorilla" Goodman submitted Shane Dezee. I was looking forward to this fight the most. Goodman is new to MMA, but is a former Green Bay Packer. Dezee was billed as a high school wrestling coach and he reminded me of my old wrestling coach. He looked like he had good technique, but not nearly the conditioning of Goodman. They didn't fight long. Goodman locked up a guillotine quickly, during which Dezee picked him up and slammed him hard on the mat. It didn't phase Goodman who was just sinking it in deeper. I see Goodman going to a bigger show soon. He is talented, athletic and the former Packer angle will help.

-In the first of two main events Nino Schembri defected Amir Rahnavard by submission. This was a quick fight (26 seconds, I think), but a good one. Schembri won by triangle choke and arm bar.

-The second main event was Homer "The Rock" Moore vs. his own aging body. Moore was scheduled to fight Fabaiano Cpoani, but when Cpoani shot in and Homer sprawled it was all over. Homer collapsed in pain and tried to call a time out. He couldn't continue and Cpoani collected the last victory of the night.

-During one fight (I don't remember which one) someone’s mouthpiece flew out of there mouth and past the production assistant sitting in front of me (flinging spit onto her face). It landed right in front of me and NME for our second mouthpiece encounter of the night. This fight was still going on, so they needed it back, but it was cool.

-We were also able to meet Mario Yamasaki and get a picture with him. The ring girls were fairly hot, although we think we saw tissue in one of there bikinis. She was still hot, but I don't like misrepresentation. We heard that KenFlo was going to be there, but we didn't see him. That is mostly good because I don't like him.

For a card with minimal star power, it was a great night of fights. There were 12 fights and only the Homer Moore injury was disappointing. It was the first MMA event in DC and it was a little unorganized, but it extremely entertaining.
zephead
5/13/07 9:06:38AM

Posted by szucconi

This was a great show and I had a lot of fun. Me and my buddy, NME, had basicly the best seats in the house. We sat front row center directly behind the announcers table.

My personal highlights include.
-Antwain Britt knocking out Patrick Barretine. This was a heavy weight bout and both fighters had less then great conditioning (they were fat), but the fight was one quick flurry of action. Britt was fun to watch fight and even more fun to watch celebrate. He threw his mouth piece out to the crowd and it landed about three seats away from me.

-Jose Edson Conterraneo Franca crushed Rocky Bastastini. Rocky looked like he was just a puncher and Franca was dominant on his feet as well as the ground. Late in the second round Rocky fell out of the ring and landed on a table which promptly fell over. He decided he was hurt and the ref gave him five minutes to recover. I thought this was BS and I started to a "Rocky" chant. His rest didn't help, but he did go the distance. As a side note, Bastastini wore red white and blue trunks. I thought it was lame and he proved he was lame. He was like Rocky V.

-Chris Manuel summited Killa B. Niimi. The 19 year old Manuel was impressive and controlled the fight. This was a flyweight match (145lbs) and maybe one of the best of the night. I would say that I would expect to see Manuel in UFC, but since they don't have 145 then I would think not. As a side note to this great fight, there was some action in the crowd between round one and round two of this fight. Apparently, a women put a man in a rear naked choke and he blacked out. When she let him go he fell to the ground and his head bounced like a basketball. To the best of our knowledge, they didn't know each other and she just came from behind and choked him. I am sure she had a reason, we just don't know it. She looked to be about 135lbs max and he was about 180lbs. This delayed the start of the second round and even the fighters were interested. The second round started and was about half over when everyone was paying attention again.

-Herbert "The Gorilla" Goodman submitted Shane Dezee. I was looking forward to this fight the most. Goodman is new to MMA, but is a former Green Bay Packer. Dezee was billed as a high school wrestling coach and he reminded me of my old wrestling coach. He looked like he had good technique, but not nearly the conditioning of Goodman. They didn't fight long. Goodman locked up a guillotine quickly, during which Dezee picked him up and slammed him hard on the mat. It didn't phase Goodman who was just sinking it in deeper. I see Goodman going to a bigger show soon. He is talented, athletic and the former Packer angle will help.

-In the first of two main events Nino Schembri defected Amir Rahnavard by submission. This was a quick fight (26 seconds, I think), but a good one. Schembri won by triangle choke and arm bar.

-The second main event was Homer "The Rock" Moore vs. his own aging body. Moore was scheduled to fight Fabaiano Cpoani, but when Cpoani shot in and Homer sprawled it was all over. Homer collapsed in pain and tried to call a time out. He couldn't continue and Cpoani collected the last victory of the night.

-During one fight (I don't remember which one) someone’s mouthpiece flew out of there mouth and past the production assistant sitting in front of me (flinging spit onto her face). It landed right in front of me and NME for our second mouthpiece encounter of the night. This fight was still going on, so they needed it back, but it was cool.

-We were also able to meet Mario Yamasaki and get a picture with him. The ring girls were fairly hot, although we think we saw tissue in one of there bikinis. She was still hot, but I don't like misrepresentation. We heard that KenFlo was going to be there, but we didn't see him. That is mostly good because I don't like him.

For a card with minimal star power, it was a great night of fights. There were 12 fights and only the Homer Moore injury was disappointing. It was the first MMA event in DC and it was a little unorganized, but it extremely entertaining.

Did they get a couple of thousand in there? Was the crowd rowdy? Did the crowd know what was going on or were they clueless? Glad it was a good night and you had fun
Dadaman
5/13/07 9:35:15AM
Great re-cap of the fights Szucconi. I got to go and from I remember that was pretty accurate.

The fans in the cheapseats were rowdier i think. I was one of the people in the first few rows and thanks to a few too many beers (7 bucks a piece) i was out of control.

Some of the highlights of the night were seeing Murilo Bustamante and Kenny Florian. Murilo actually signed my friend's tits! haha! When someone told me Kenny was a dozen seats down from us I didn't belive them then I yelled his name and he looked over and gave me a thumbs up.

I went nuts!

All and all it was a bit disorganized but I loved the show. The fighters all showed tremendous heart and everyone had a great time.
NME
5/15/07 10:47:10AM
Let me get this straight:

Kenny Florian, who in all honesty was probably the biggest star there (I didn't see Severn, but I guess he may have been there as well), and they didn't even bother to announce him in attendance?

Actually, if that's the worst thing that happens in your show, especially in your first show ever, then you're doing alright.

Hell of a show indeed! And a fine write up, szucconi. This is much better than mine, which I would point out, in fact, does not exist.

I think the dude that got choked out by that lass was 2 bills easy. I'm 170lbs and that dude was about my height and much, much fatter.

And to the guy who asked if the crowd knew what was going on: They seemed to. There was a dude in the crowd shouting in portugese to the Brazilian fighters. A lass sitting next to me was trying to encourage fighters to take their opponent's backs, throw knees, pass guard, etc. Yet, while people seemed to know about fights, they didn't know much about MMA overall. An example was how many people we encountered who did not know about the purchase of PRIDE by UFC. I was surprised by that, as I figured only the hardest of the hardcore MMA fans would go to an upstart show like this one.

I've said this elsewhere, but I would certainly go to another show presented by this group. I must atone for my failure at this show. You see, when I was entering the arena, two officials from the DC Athletic commission were standing right next to me (having trouble getting past security, in fact). It did not occur to me until after I had sat down that I should have asked the gentlemen when/if cages would be allowed by the commission (or, in other words, when they will allow UFC to run a show in DC). Sadly, I was given a chance to rectify my earlier failure when THE HEAD OF THE DC ATHLETIC COMMISSION walked directly in front of me and stopped for a moment. Of course I did not ask him, either, but he was so close that szucconi, in fact, touched the man's badge as he pointed out who this man was to me. It was pretty funny, actually.
szucconi
5/15/07 12:03:46PM

Posted by NME

This is much better than mine, which I would point out, in fact, does not exist.

That is funny

Posted by NME

Sadly, I was given a chance to rectify my earlier failure when THE HEAD OF THE DC ATHLETIC COMMISSION walked directly in front of me and stopped for a moment. Of course I did not ask him, either, but he was so close that szucconi, in fact, touched the man's badge as he pointed out who this man was to me. It was pretty funny, actually.

I did almost poke him in the boob. This was right after NME was done telling me that he missed his chance at asking if they were going legalize a cage. He was like "These two guys from the DC athletic commission we right behind me in the line to get in". I said "How do you know they were from the commission". "They were having trouble getting through security and they said 'We're from the commission'".

The head of the commission walked by and he had a HUGE name tag with his title on it. This thing was ridiculously big. He stopped right infront of us, close enough for us to give him a hug. He was facing us looking into the crowd. NME was silent any I was holding back laughing. I wanted to point out who the guy was (not that anyone couldn't see his huge badge) and I pointed at him. In hind sight, he was to close to be pointed at, I should have slipped him a twenty to legalize the cage or rubbed his head for luck.
NME
5/15/07 12:17:36PM
That's a good point. The badge was like a bad comedy gimmick. He might as well have been wearing a sandwich board saying "I'M THE COMMISH." It would have been only slightly more gaudy.
szucconi
5/15/07 12:34:39PM
It was like a Flava-Flav clock. YEAH BOOOOOOY!!!!!