warning and deleted posts.

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » warning and deleted posts.
Next Page »
jomatty
9/11/07 11:02:03PM
this post may never get read as the content may get it immediately deleted and i may get banned but i think the point needs to be made.

in a post about the bisping/hamill fight i recently stated that i lost respect for bisping based on his post fight comments. that is essentially all i said although i dont have the post to back this assertion up as it was deleted. im always consius to not bash fighters and say things like "so and so sucks" but have never considered that giving a reason for an opinion and sharing it would be considered fighter bashing.

im not gonna call out any mods but i think some of them are on power trips or allowing their personal opinions to color their judgement. ive always liked this site better than sherdog but when i get a warning for expressing my opinion on the way a fighters post fight interview changed my opinion on it that is bs.

edit i do not have a copy of my original post but from what the mod recently pm'd me i apparently said that bispings interview made him look like "a total ass" which i dont remember saying but changes things. i still think it should be fine as i gave what in my mind was a valid reason for my opinion but in fairness i thought it should be pointed out...
loonytnt
9/11/07 11:25:58PM
i dont got nothing bad to say and i hope im not banned to i love the site, but ive had post deleted for fighter bashin to and i didnt mean to say anything bad, and i no where you are coming from, im not 100% sure on how strict they are bc ive see ppl say F this fighter and F that and there post was not deleted so im not sure how it works
jomatty
9/12/07 12:07:32AM
thats exactly my point some people say crazy stuff and i give a reason that makes a lot of sense for losing respect for a fighter and its fighter bashing. i mean just saying someone sucks is pointless and i understand it but anyone who reads my posts knows that i dont randomly bash people and when i do have negative things to say i make sure to give reasons, which in my opinion is an opinion not bashing.

Svartorm
9/12/07 6:33:49AM
I've already gone over this with you since you made this post, so theres no need to revisit it here.

Theres three things that need to be said though:

1) The rule is pretty simple. You can't directly insult a fighter. You can criticise all you want, but straight out insulting a fighter is breaking the rules. Generally this simply comes down to how something is phrased, so its perfectly avoidable.

2) If you see something you think breaks the rules of this forum, hit the caution button on the bottom right of the post and report it. Theres only a few mods and a hell of a lot of posters, so we don't catch everything. Its your site as well and you should do what you can to protect it or it WILL turn into another sherdog forum.

3) Just because people ahead of you post something and break the rules doesn't mean you can get away with it. Thats not a valid excuse and never will be, and its pretty lame that every time I send someone a warning (which doesn't really mean anything unless you get three anyways), I then have to answer a bunch of PMs along the lines of "Well, I've seen worse stuff on here."

As for being on a power trip, if I was on a power trip I'd delete every single thread about the Bisping vs Hamill fight and ban anyone that brought it up again. I've wasted no less than six hours in the last two nights deleting well over 200 comments, banned close to a dozen people and haven't even had time to post anything of my own.

You guys all bitch about how much you hate sherdog forums, but the second someone comes down on you for breaking rules, you get all bent out of shape. Does it occur to anyone that if sherdog had done that with their forums in the first place, they might still be nice places to post? If you nip stupid behavior in the bud, you won't have a problem with it later.
LR
9/12/07 10:52:20AM
I have one specific complaint to this rule. Can you please include a quoted piece in the private message that shows me the rule infraction? I most likely bashed a fighter in some post at some point, but I vaguely remember what I said at the time. It'd be very helpful to know exactly what it was that was said.

Thanks.
DoTheMMAth
9/12/07 1:10:29PM

Posted by Svartorm

You guys all bitch about how much you hate sherdog forums, but the second someone comes down on you for breaking rules, you get all bent out of shape. Does it occur to anyone that if sherdog had done that with their forums in the first place, they might still be nice places to post? If you nip stupid behavior in the bud, you won't have a problem with it later.

QFT; and seriously, a warning isn't a ban. Hell, even the mods screw up sometimes (well, at least 2-3 of us have so far lol) and have gotten stuff deleted and warnings. Just realize you made a mistake, take the warning like a man, and carry on. If a little fighter bashing starts to slip through the cracks then more and more will as time goes on, and next thing ya know it, the forums will be sherdog.NET version 2.0 (not to be confused with the awesome sherdog.COM). No one likes to get scolded/warned, especially adults, but please just try to be aware of the reasons that this is being done and play nice in the playground I can assure you that NONE of the moderators here are on power trips, I'd bet what's left of my pathetic fantasy bankroll on it None of us get paid to moderate, moderating isn't even fun, and it is a time-consuming. The forums and perhaps even the game would suffer if the mods didn't police the forums as well as they have since the site's inception. If you want to rip a fighter a new bunghole, call a moderator a crapwagon, or angrily curse about something MMA related, join a fight camp and do it there. Fight camp message boards are only viewable by other fight camp members, and you don't have to worry about moderators seeing and deleting things that are against the public forum rules there.
Rush
9/12/07 1:33:19PM
Here is a suggestion.

Instead of deleting the whole post can you just edit the infraction. Sometimes posts have a lot of valid information in addition to the infraction and why shoudl the rest go to waste. This goes with quotes that contain infractions. Why should the poster lose their whole post, which may be valuble to the discussion, because they quoted someone that broke the posting rules?

I don't think this will take longer in most cases because I think most of the violators do so in poor posts anyways. However, it will keep the really good posters on good terms if they accidentally slip up.

Manfred
9/12/07 1:49:55PM

Posted by LR

I have one specific complaint to this rule. Can you please include a quoted piece in the private message that shows me the rule infraction? I most likely bashed a fighter in some post at some point, but I vaguely remember what I said at the time. It'd be very helpful to know exactly what it was that was said.

Thanks.

I agree with this. The mod should quote the rule-breaking post.
pv3Hpv3p
9/12/07 2:27:42PM
IMO, mods have enough to do and shouldn't have to dick around with that stuff... If a post gets deleted, let it go man... People helping out a website in their free time needing to cut/paste and further explain themselves shouldn't be an issue...

There's plenty more posts to be made and after all that is a part of what keeps this community the freindly, informative, and cooperative...
DoTheMMAth
9/12/07 2:33:01PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

IMO, mods have enough to do and shouldn't have to dick around with that stuff... If a post gets deleted, let it go man... People helping out a website in their free time needing to cut/paste and further explain themselves shouldn't be an issue...

There's plenty more posts to be made and after all that is a part of what keeps this community the freindly, informative, and cooperative...

Anyone who signs up is required to check a box stating that "I agree to follow the MMAPlayground.com rules at all times." (which has a link to all the site and forum rules). Of course, people are so used to ignoring the fine print and signing up for credit cards, a billion websites, etc, but still, the rules are the rules and you have to agree to them if you want to sign up. And yes, the mods do spend a lot of time policing the site based on these rules, and also doing things behind that scenes that no one sees, and playing the game themselves while still trying to find time to take part in the community. Making more hoops for the mods to jump through isn't something I'd be keen on doing, I'm sorry
loonytnt
9/12/07 2:38:13PM
i had a mod say one more time i fighter bash i get banned and i dont wanna be banned, what got deleted was a joke, so i try to watch what i say, its hard for me to voice what i think bc i dont wanna get banned
Mastodon2
9/12/07 2:48:32PM
What is the deal with us notifying the mods of fighter bashing? I know the mods have a hard job as it is, and they cant see everything, but the other day I saw a user (who shall remain anonymous) refer to Cro Cop as "Cro Crap", which whether you like him as a fighter or not, is just insulting, but its also just childish. Im not sure if the post was nuked, but for several hours this post was just sitting there. I didnt call the guy out, as I didnt want to draw attention to the post which is exactly what he wanted, but I didnt know if I should notify a mod via PM either.

At the end of the day, its all about keeping this site clean. I have been warned and banned before for fighter bashing (though it was only just after I joined the site)and Im a pretty hard headed, stubborn and opinionated guy. If I stopped insulting fighters, I know that anyone can cut the crap and just avoid petty slanging.
Rush
9/12/07 3:50:17PM
Personally I find repetitive and pointless threads more annoying/disturbing than fighter bashing, but I'm not the one making rules.
zephead
9/12/07 4:44:16PM
Speaking for me only, I will edit the part of a post if they're breaking a rule. I will then PM the poster and send him the rule infraction. I post alot of news and then go into threads, not to post, but to read. I have my picks to make. Talk to the other mods and then if I have time, post in the threads.

I hate having to ban someone. I hate having to delete posts/threads. These are you'll forums. We're here to keep the peace and to be members also. But the one thing I hate above all, is FIGHTER BASHING. I hate it, hate it, hate it. These guys are putiing it all on the line. From Eddie Sanchez to Fedor. And to read on these forums that "So and so is a bum. He sucks. He's a dick. He blows." (Which I have read everyday on here.) Pisses me off. Like I have said before, "If you can do any better, get in there and do it." It's like the jerks that boo at a event.

Now if you don't like a fighter and can state it in a intelligent manner, no problem. Just read the rules and if you're not sure on something, PM a mod. It's up to you'll to either make this a great site to come to or a blood bath like other sites

Peace

Zep
Rush
9/12/07 5:34:05PM

Posted by zephead

"So and so is a bum. He sucks. He's a dick. He blows." (Which I have read everyday on here.)

You guys must do a pretty good job because I don't see it that much, but then again, I only read about 25% of the threads.
zephead
9/12/07 6:26:25PM

Posted by Rush

Posted by zephead

"So and so is a bum. He sucks. He's a dick. He blows." (Which I have read everyday on here.)

You guys must do a pretty good job because I don't see it that much, but then again, I only read about 25% of the threads.

There are a ton of posts/threads that are deleted. Pretty much just look at any thread that talks about a fight that just happened or is about to happen. Somewhere in that thread a post has been edited or deleted
Stickan
9/12/07 7:33:57PM

Posted by Rush

Here is a suggestion.

Instead of deleting the whole post can you just edit the infraction. Sometimes posts have a lot of valid information in addition to the infraction and why shoudl the rest go to waste. This goes with quotes that contain infractions. Why should the poster lose their whole post, which may be valuble to the discussion, because they quoted someone that broke the posting rules?

I don't think this will take longer in most cases because I think most of the violators do so in poor posts anyways. However, it will keep the really good posters on good terms if they accidentally slip up.

I know hippysmacker has done that to a few of my posts. He has always kept it fair and notified me of my infraction or when I crossed the line. When he had edited my posts slightly, I could just go back and edit it however I wanted it and get my opinion across anyway but just do it a little smarter and less rules-breaking this time.

I totally agree about the repetitive posts though. Much more annoying.
Stickan
9/12/07 7:36:25PM
btw. While you're at it, can you please delete all the spam-posts about that upcoming mma movie and warn that .......!"#ยค!"#
Svartorm
9/12/07 8:16:08PM

Posted by Rush

Here is a suggestion.

I do this sometimes, but if the part that needs to be deleted ties into the post in a certain way, I don't want to put words in someones mouth by editing it, so it gets deleted.
cowcatcher
9/12/07 9:26:30PM
who cares, delete the whole post if someone screws up, ive had it happen and im in the camp with a ton of mods, sometimes you blow it and its way easier to just delete the post for the mods. they do a great job and a thankless task without any compensation, theres even another thread on here about how other site's mods suck, so id say our guys are doing just fine.
Jackelope
9/12/07 9:40:51PM
I've been warned once before. For bashing Babalu's actions if I recall correctly. Initially I was pissed, but then I realized that strict rules are what make the site great. If I've got beef about getting warned I'll talk directly with the mod. From my experience they're all reasonable guys who are taking a lot of time out of their day to perform a thankless task.

That being said I know there can be times when it seems like you're hardly bashing and you get a warning. My only suggestion would be to "color up" your posts a little bit more, not only to make it more entertaining, but also because you can get your point across in a subtle manner.
madmarck
9/13/07 2:33:59PM

Posted by Svartorm

I've already gone over this with you since you made this post, so theres no need to revisit it here.

Theres three things that need to be said though:

1) The rule is pretty simple. You can't directly insult a fighter. You can criticise all you want, but straight out insulting a fighter is breaking the rules. Generally this simply comes down to how something is phrased, so its perfectly avoidable.

2) If you see something you think breaks the rules of this forum, hit the caution button on the bottom right of the post and report it. Theres only a few mods and a hell of a lot of posters, so we don't catch everything. Its your site as well and you should do what you can to protect it or it WILL turn into another sherdog forum.

3) Just because people ahead of you post something and break the rules doesn't mean you can get away with it. Thats not a valid excuse and never will be, and its pretty lame that every time I send someone a warning (which doesn't really mean anything unless you get three anyways), I then have to answer a bunch of PMs along the lines of "Well, I've seen worse stuff on here."

As for being on a power trip, if I was on a power trip I'd delete every single thread about the Bisping vs Hamill fight and ban anyone that brought it up again. I've wasted no less than six hours in the last two nights deleting well over 200 comments, banned close to a dozen people and haven't even had time to post anything of my own.

Please deleted everythread relating to the Bisping-Hamill fight. Im gettin sick of this shit. UFC pays the judges but it didnt sway them. It pays its fighters too it doenst make them take a fall in fights.
Bisping won. Unfair, well IMO he won. Its over with it is not gonna be reevaulated. Dont Blame Dana white he didnt influence the judges.
If Matt Hamill is complaining b/c he lost, well its like Randy Couture says "you never know what happens when you leave a fight in the hands of the judges"
And after all this crap, guess what. We are gonna get a rematch anyways. So........ just watch that.
TNunley
9/21/07 2:52:57PM

Posted by madmarck

Please deleted everythread relating to the Bisping-Hamill fight. Im gettin sick of this shit. UFC pays the judges but it didnt sway them. It pays its fighters too it doenst make them take a fall in fights.
Bisping won. Unfair, well IMO he won. Its over with it is not gonna be reevaulated. Dont Blame Dana white he didnt influence the judges.
If Matt Hamill is complaining b/c he lost, well its like Randy Couture says "you never know what happens when you leave a fight in the hands of the judges"
And after all this crap, guess what. We are gonna get a rematch anyways. So........ just watch that.

Good point on Randy's comment. Personally I was pissed off about it, but you're right someone should have finished it...

As for Dana White, that's all part of the business. He's the man who makes the decisions, and therefore he's the man that it ultimately falls on. It isn't my job (or yours, or anyone other than the UFC execs) to pick the judge's. So they basically reap what they sew.
TNunley
9/21/07 2:57:03PM
By the way DoTheMMAth you're on for the $50.00. Not because I disagree, just because (and I have to admit) it was kind of funny when you made the comment and I saw how much of a bankroll you actually had (or didn't have ). Maybe you and Svartorm can join forces and place $110 on Griffin and get a good deal of it back when he wins.
mkiv9secsupra
9/21/07 10:27:34PM
wow im surprised im still here.... i know myself and one of the mods went at it in one thread quite a while back and i was warned repeatedly within just a few weeks. i know i cant be mad at them for warning me since they were just helping the site out in the early days. but ive been watching my tongue so i havent been in too much trouble lately
mkiv9secsupra
9/21/07 10:47:57PM

Posted by mkiv9secsupra

wow im surprised im still here.... i know myself and one of the mods went at it in one thread quite a while back and i was warned repeatedly within just a few weeks. i know i cant be mad at them for warning me since they were just helping the site out in the early days. but ive been watching my tongue so i havent been in too much trouble lately

and just as i start to brag i get a warning..........:
DoTheMMAth
9/21/07 10:56:18PM

Posted by TNunley

By the way DoTheMMAth you're on for the $50.00. Not because I disagree, just because (and I have to admit) it was kind of funny when you made the comment and I saw how much of a bankroll you actually had (or didn't have ). Maybe you and Svartorm can join forces and place $110 on Griffin and get a good deal of it back when he wins.

I am bad at this game, there is no clever response for you here mate
nWo
9/21/07 11:36:05PM
If you think Sherdog is bad
try Subfighter
Man that place is horrible
80000 members
all fans of "ultimate fighting"
TNunley
9/24/07 10:09:37AM

Posted by DoTheMMAth

Posted by TNunley

I am bad at this game, there is no clever response for you here mate

Well from the looks of it, you must have done alright with UFC 76. Although it was only $335.00, that's a 770% increase from before the fight. Yay!!!
sakusback7
9/24/07 11:44:39AM
The mods here are awesome and humble too. Just watch how fast I get props
Pages: [1] 2