War of Words With 'Mayhem' Miller Not Helping Nick Diaz Make His Case

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » War of Words With 'Mayhem' Miller Not Helping Nick Diaz Make His Case
emfleek
7/27/10 8:48:16AM
Strikeforce fighters Jason "Mayhem" Miller and Nick Diaz have been having a little conversation with one another over the internet recently. Maybe conversation is the wrong word. It implies an exchange of information, perhaps even a constructive one. What Diaz and Miller have been doing is working with one another into a frenzy.

It started with Miller's anti-Diaz rant on Joe Rogan's Ustream Podcast last week. Miller painted Diaz as the main driver in the post-fight brawl in Memphis that resulted in suspensions for most of the parties involved, and he took aim at Diaz's "gangsta" persona, saying it "embodies what's wrong with America."

Of course, it didn't take long before Diaz saw the video and, naturally, decided to hit back with one of his own.

As with just about everything Diaz does outside of the cage, trying to decipher his intentions is a fool's errand. It's possible that, at least in his mind, a video in which he drives around town and mumbles a stream of expletives would serve as a perfect counterpoint to Miller's depiction of him as a humorless, hyper-aggressive caveman.

In reality, however, the video does more to bolster Miller's case than Diaz's.

Not that we should have expected anything different. When a video begins with someone adjusting the camera to ensure that both his middle fingers are plainly visible, that should give you a pretty good idea what you're getting into. When the title of the video includes the two expletives that make up roughly 75% of all the words spoken over the course of the five-minute opus, that should remove all doubt as to whether this is an argument you should take seriously.

If Miller's position is that Diaz's MMA gangster mentality is equivalent to "just being a little kid," then Diaz's decision to respond by making fun of Miller's hair and calling him a stream of profanities more or less makes the point for "Mayhem." While everyone seems to like and respect Diaz the fighter, Diaz the person seems intent on making that increasingly difficult.

In the whole of Diaz's response there's only point that borders on being valid. While Miller keeps talking about how much he'd like to face him, the two compete in different weight classes. Miller's a middleweight, while Diaz is the Strikeforce welterweight champ (though he's been known to fight at 185 pounds in the past).

But the point remains, why waste time with this viral video beef unless one of them is willing to jump divisions?

Wouldn't you know it, Miller had a response to that, too. On his Twitter account Monday afternoon, he wrote, "So now Nick Diaz is suddenly a 170 pounder only when he has to fight someone who can whip his [expletive]? Not so gangster, is he?"

Sounds like the ball is back in Diaz's court. If you're expecting a more thoughtful response this time, prepare to be disappointed.

LINK
SmileR
7/27/10 8:58:22AM

"So now Nick Diaz is suddenly a 170 pounder only when he has to fight someone who can whip his [expletive]? Not so gangster, is he?"

Thats was exactly what I thought when I read this!
D0wnUnd6e6r
7/27/10 11:26:11AM
burn
RhythmAndStyle
7/27/10 1:06:44PM
i never had any respect for both the Diaz and any other fighter that acts arrogant..some ppl just need to start actin their age..this ain't HS anymore..but i guess if everyone acted like Fedor and GSP..it would be kinda borin..
seanfu
7/27/10 2:39:50PM

Posted by SmileR

"So now Nick Diaz is suddenly a 170 pounder only when he has to fight someone who can whip his [expletive]? Not so gangster, is he?"

Even though miller used to fight at 170.
warglory
7/27/10 7:03:53PM
I think Miller would be a legit threat to Diaz, though I think Diaz would win.
jimmypockets
7/27/10 7:29:29PM
Mayhem Miller went about the whole thing all wrong.

What he should have done was have a new belt of Weed. You know Nick Diaz would be up for fighting to get that belt.

Mayhem.......If you are reading this, after you have the belt made it is critical that you place Cheetos and Grape Drink by the belt with the contract on top. This is truly an offer Nick would't be able to refuse.

.NICK DIAZ IS THE MOST HIGHLY SKILLED JOKE in MMA today.........in my opinion.

As emfleek said, the balls in your mouth.....oops.....COURT I meant to say court I promise.
sbulldavid
7/27/10 8:00:47PM
Diaz is a very tough fighter but he can't beat anybody once they take him down, I'm impressed with his striking but, I'm more impressed with Miller's chin, once Diaz is down he'll lay and hold on like he always does. I hope I'm wrong but I think Miller wins old fashioned ground and pound style.
Jackelope
7/27/10 9:13:34PM
Wow... Just... in general...

BeeR
7/27/10 10:06:18PM
Love Diaz as a fighter, but I always thought he was a douche in general..
chokehead
7/28/10 12:14:22PM

Posted by sbulldavid

Diaz is a very tough fighter but he can't beat anybody once they take him down, I'm impressed with his striking but, I'm more impressed with Miller's chin, once Diaz is down he'll lay and hold on like he always does. I hope I'm wrong but I think Miller wins old fashioned ground and pound style.

Hold on, buddy, I know you want to insult Diaz, but you can't ignore the man's ground game because of fights that happened over years ago. The last man Diaz fought took him down, but got submitted pretty quickly afterward.

If these guys fight, it'll definitely be like a title bout to me because this will definitely be awesome to watch.

RyanC
7/28/10 3:31:08PM
There are no two people I dislike more in MMA than the Diaz brothers. . . their mentality is the complete opposite of everything I have been taught to believe martial arts are about. Selling a fight is one thing, but these guys have never displayed one bit of class, honor, or respect. I respect their abilities, but I don't respect them as men.
cowcatcher
7/28/10 4:25:58PM

Posted by RyanC

Selling a fight is one thing, but these guys have never displayed one bit of class, honor, or respect. I respect their abilities, but I don't respect them as men.

these guys dont even act that way to sell a fight, and thats the part that bothers me the most about them, they act and talk like 15 year old high school kids with something to prove all the time.
RyanC
7/28/10 4:47:09PM

Posted by cowcatcher

Posted by RyanC

Selling a fight is one thing, but these guys have never displayed one bit of class, honor, or respect. I respect their abilities, but I don't respect them as men.

these guys dont even act that way to sell a fight, and thats the part that bothers me the most about them, they act and talk like 15 year old high school kids with something to prove all the time.

High school kids sounds about right. . .
JimiMak
7/28/10 9:16:57PM
I think they're hysterical. i love their personalities. They're not the guys I'd wanna hang out w/, but for tv/fighter personalities these guys don't just talk sh*t they walk it even when they get beat. I'm not the biggest fan of either but I like them both more than FE or GSP, at least they're real and not fake for the cameras.
Pookie
7/29/10 1:12:35AM
One things for certain if they fought, Both fighters have too much chin/heart to quit or get stopped and they both have cardio to push the fight for 5 rounds.

This has all the makings of a war.
mikegll
8/4/10 8:18:18PM
Nick always posts crazy stuff