WAR Tanner! Recent photos of him training

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » WAR Tanner! Recent photos of him training
wolfman
2/20/08 9:13:29PM
Okami better look out! Tanner looks to be in good shape, I hope he is able to shake off the ring rust and put Okami away! I'm still unsure on this fight though, yet I have a good feeling were going to see Tanner in top form!

EDIT: I'm sorry if this is in the wrong forum and the pictures are a little blurry.

http://www.ufcfight.com/mma/2008/02/ufc-82-evan-tan.html
SpiderSilva
2/20/08 9:19:12PM
I would love to see Tanner take out the powerhouse monster that is Okami
wolfman
2/20/08 9:20:43PM
Here is another picture from mid December. The one in my original post is from early February.

RampageOwnedYou
2/20/08 9:34:40PM
Im a huge fan of Tanner.
I really hope he is better then his old self. And by looking at the shape he is in, he looks like he can kick some ass.
I really see this a tough matchup for Evan, but if he has worked hard, and trained like a MO FO, then Okami is in for hell. GO Tanner.

And to the people who said he had a beer belly, and wasn't training.....tisk tisk...shame on you.
whardin19
2/20/08 10:08:21PM
Hate to burst the Tanner bubble that's building up on this post. But I don't think he can beat Okami. Okami is really damn impressive and argueably the strongest 185 pounder out there. He has also faced top competition in the UFC lately. When is the last time Tanner has fought? It's been quite awhile. I'm not saying Tanner has no chance in this fight because I think it will be a war! But I only give Tanner like a 10% chance of beating Okami.
MALICE
2/20/08 10:11:37PM
Tanner is looking like he is in good shape. But Okami is a monster, and Tanner has been out a while. If Tanner gets through Okami look out MW's
wolfman
2/20/08 10:30:34PM

Posted by whardin19

Hate to burst the Tanner bubble that's building up on this post. But I don't think he can beat Okami. Okami is really damn impressive and argueably the strongest 185 pounder out there. He has also faced top competition in the UFC lately. When is the last time Tanner has fought? It's been quite awhile. I'm not saying Tanner has no chance in this fight because I think it will be a war! But I only give Tanner like a 10% chance of beating Okami.

I don't disagree with you man, I am just impressed at how in shape he looks right now. I currently have Okami to win by decision, yet I am hoping that Tanner comes ready to fight. He looks ready and from what I've heard it sounds as if he is training his ass off. So, as of now I am leaning towards Okami, but I am not counting out Tanner just yet.
Kpro
2/20/08 11:12:59PM
WAR TANNER!

Okami in Tanner's clinch = Okami on the receiving end of a Rich Franklin impersonation.
NatedawgThaM
2/21/08 1:05:40AM
He looks in the best shape of his life. Reguardless he is coming off a long layoff so there might be so rust in there. Not grappling or striking wise but environment wise. He hasn't been in front of a big crowd with somebody actually trying to kill him in the cage in a long time.

Also almost all of Tanners wins are from dominating the ground game by submitting or stopping his opponents. I know he dropped Franklin in there one fight and maybe had a good stand up fight with somebody else but still.

Most of his wins are from dominating the ground game from submitting off of his back or being on top and finishing. I think Okami will be too big and will get the takedown and he has never be subbed so I don't know if Tanner can pull it off.

I'll be rooting for Tanner but my brain and logical thinking is going to pick Okami by Unanimous LNP decision. GO TANNER though!!!
telnights
2/21/08 3:08:18AM
This is tough for me I'm a huge Tanner fan but I don't think he is going to be able to handle Okami's power. I really don't think Okami can finish him but Okami will win a UD. I would love for Tanner to prove me wrong.
saemskin
2/21/08 7:24:22AM
Awesome pics!

I cant wait for this upcoming card...
AchillesHeel
2/21/08 10:39:06AM

Posted by whardin19

Hate to burst the Tanner bubble that's building up on this post. But[...]

I agree that Tanner is jumping into the deep end of the pool, and 2 years' worth of "ring rust" has to be an huge question mark. Still, Tanner has always been a fairly aggressive fighter and he has a lot of notches in his gun-barrel (I think this will be his 40th pro fight? something like that).

The way the two men fight, I don't think that Okami can win a Decision over Tanner, and I'll jump off my back porch if he Submits him; he'll have to TKO him to win, imho. Of his 32 Wins, Tanner has 20 Submissions. That ain't no joke, and Okami's wrestling isn't at the level of Herring, Ortiz, or Franklin, and I don't know whether his Submission defense is the equal of Loiseau's.

I give Okami a slight edge, overall, but I can easily envision Tanner scoring a takedown inside the first minute of every round, keeping Okami on his back, and dropping the hammer. If Tanner takes the bull by the horns, he could easily win a UD. A lot depends on his stamina, which of course is difficult to judge from photos.
pv3Hpv3p
2/21/08 10:59:35AM
I think a lot of people are disregarding Tanner's strenght in this situation... After all the guy started his career at HVY weight and then moved to LH and then down to middle... The guy is naturally strong...

I remember reading that he won his highschool state championships his junior and senior year, but only started wrestling when he was a SOPHOMORE! That is rediculous... The guy is a natural grappler and has wins over Heath Herring, Paul Buentello, and the likes... I'm not sure how much strenght/power Okami is going to have over him...

With all that being said, this is a very very very tough comeback fight for Tanner... But if he does win, which I don't think is going to be easy... I think it's safe to say that there might be a new (old) face in the MW division

WAR TANNER!!!

TRIANGLE CHOKE!!!
Boo_Radley21
2/21/08 4:27:40PM
I'm taking Tanner in this one for sure. Prob by triangle.
tepid55
2/21/08 6:42:15PM
Okami needs to be very careful if he winds up in Tanner's guard.
bls1919
2/21/08 7:54:54PM
I think Tanner has more ways to win this fight. He looks top be in great shape, so WAR TANNER!!!!
chuteboxe75
2/22/08 10:28:06AM
Tanner has been training for a fight, any fight for over a year. No way you can say that he wont be ready for this fight. Tanner has a giant heart, so Okamis statement about the heart of American fighters will be tossed back in his face if things get deep in there. I see Tanner winning this one, and if he does not it will be a war that goes to a split decision. Tanners back!
Dastardly1
2/24/08 4:33:44PM
Tanner has a tough task in Okami. he was a real class act when he hung out here in Idaho. so i got to pull for him in this one.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Kastro
2/24/08 4:40:34PM
Tanner's physique has always impressed me, though Okami himself is huge @ 185lbs and will IMO be the stronger fighter...

The big question is ring rust, how will Tanner feel in the octagon after such a long layoff and where is his head gonna be after his last fights not going too well for him?

This is going to be interesting, Tanner has one hell of a heart and determination to fight through anything (Franklin vs Tanner 2) though I think Okami is going to be a tough match-up for Tanner to jump into right away after such a long layoff... cant wait to see the fight and I wish Tanner all the best but my money stays on Okami.

Okami by UD.
CornishMMA
2/29/08 1:43:22PM
He does look in pretty damn good shape for a 37 year old guy who has been drunk for the past 2 years!