WAR METAL

MMAPlayground.com » Off Topic » Off Topic » WAR METAL
Next Page »
big_timmy
12/11/08 2:40:08AM

PANTERA is the greatest band of all time. Nuff said.

Metallica will never be what they used to be. Load and Reload weren't bad rock albums, just not good Metal albums.

Black Sabbath invented metal as we know it.

Iron Maiden and Judas Preist are over-rated.

There is plenty of good stuff coming thru the metal ranks, though its becoming more about utter brutality than any real style. Suicide Silence, Annotations of an Autopsy, Whitechapel, Black Dahlia murder, Job for a cowboy, Trigger the Bloodshed are some of the top young stuff coming through.

Then you got newish guys who are holding the flame for the older sounds of metal, like Lamb of God and DevilDriver, Amon Amarth, Daylight dies etc.

I dislkie Trivium and Children of Bodom mainly due to the vocalists, and its very hit and miss with In Flames aswell.

Discuss.
ShadowxBox
12/11/08 3:06:02AM
I would say Pantera is overrated, but that's just my opinion. They did make great music though and kick much ass. Metallica is one of the greats. Sabbath are legends. Maiden and Priest are not overrated, I think they are mostly underrated, at least Maiden. I like most of the other bands you mentioned, Suicide Silence and Black Dahlia probably being the best out of them, only one I don't care for much is JFAC. Bands like In Flames, Bodom, and Lamb of God are great too. Long live Metal.
big_timmy
12/11/08 3:18:44AM
Lamb of god come from the school of pantera, so do devildriver, where its just balls out metal.

Pantera single handedly redefined metal in the 90's in my opinion. Where as thrash ruled the 80's with Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth, Exodus, Testament, the 90's didn't have a sound... till Cowboys of Hell. As Pantera started out as a Power Metal band, you can still hear much of its influence creep thru in Cowboys, but by Vulgar, they had their sound sinched up, and it wasnt going anywhere. you look at the band that pioneered thrash in the 80's, and many of them actually took influences from Pantera once they found their feet.

Not to mention Dimebag being one of the greatest guitarist's of all time. Not the most technical, or fastest, but the sounds that man made are pure godliness.
postman
12/11/08 4:08:32AM
I am really into Machine Head, Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, Lamb of God, August Burns Red, As I lay Dying, In This Moment.........Bands like that not sure where they sit in your spectrum of Metal but they are what I like.
DCRage
12/11/08 7:19:33AM
Van Halen. The David Lee Roth-era version, of course.
breakdown5
12/11/08 11:52:12AM
I dig tons of metal and hardcore. Unearth, The Acacia Strain, Killswitch, Heal These Wounds, Candiria, Between the Buried and Me, Sepultura, Sabbath...there are just entirely too many to list. Metal gets shit from people who don't understand that the musicians in these bands are some of the most technical musicians in the world, hands down.

WAR METAL!!
We_Todd_Did
12/11/08 6:11:55PM

Posted by DCRage

Van Halen. The David Lee Roth-era version, of course.

I'm not going to debate with you whether or not that is good music, but I will say that it is not, in ANY way, shape, or form, metal. Not even vaguely.
higdon10
12/11/08 6:31:53PM

Posted by postman

I am really into Machine Head, Killswitch Engage, All That Remains, Lamb of God, August Burns Red, As I lay Dying, In This Moment.........Bands like that not sure where they sit in your spectrum of Metal but they are what I like.

Very good list
Wolfenstein
12/11/08 6:38:29PM
I think Bullet for my Valentine is the best metal band to come around in a while. Killswitch Engage, Five Finger Death Punch (what an awesome name), and Avenged Sevenfold are also top notch current Metal bands.

I'm not a huge fan of Pantera. They're kind of hit of miss for me, although I think the riff to Cemetary gates is probably one of the best riffs of all time.

So often the vocalists in Metal Bands are absolute crap. It nearly always seems to be the one element Metal bands disregard in terms of importance.

In Flames is another super-talented band that is really held back by the lack of a talented vocalist.
higdon10
12/11/08 6:40:47PM

Posted by Wolfenstein
I think Bullet for my Valentine is the best metal band to come around in a while. Killswitch Engage, Five Finger Death Punch (what an awesome name), and Avenged Sevenfold are also top notch current Metal bands.

I like some Bullet. Killswitch is amazing. Five Finger Death Punch is a very good band that doesnt get near enough love.
D0wnUnd6e6r
12/11/08 7:36:29PM
Iron Maiden ARE NOT OVERRATED and saying any different is blasphemy IMO.

And bullet is crap.
dannyfrank
12/11/08 8:35:32PM
iron maiden is the shit!

as for some newer stuff, i definitely like killswitch engage and demon hunter

the best metal song though has to be "the metal" by tenacious d
Mungooch
12/11/08 8:40:10PM
Avenged Sevenfold Disturbed Kilswitch, streomud etc
bobbydoomocculta
12/11/08 11:51:18PM
Amon Amarth play pop songs... they're not metal...
Trivium... Weren't they giving out their album as a happy meal toy at macca's like 6 months ago...
Lamb of God... The most overated band in the world....

Children of Bodom... I rock 'em a bit
Iron Maiden... I rock 'em a bit
In Flames... Old stuff rocks ass...

WAR METAL???

More like WAR POP ROCK!!!

LONG LIVE ABBATH!
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
breakdown5
12/12/08 12:02:14AM

Posted by bobbydoomocculta

Lamb of God is in no way overrated my friend. They destroy live. Some very tight musicians. While they aren't my favorite band, I definitely enjoy them and think they deserve any praise that comes their way.
bobbydoomocculta
12/12/08 12:14:32AM
Lamb of god = Angry stereo-typical rubbish... nothing new... nothing clever... VERY over-rated... They haven't even got a heavy sound... I've taken craps that sound heavier than lamb of god...

NOW... YOU'VE... GOT... SOMETHING... TO DIE FOR!!!
F*ck off lamb of god... go get jobs or something...
breakdown5
12/12/08 12:48:27AM
There's no need to get all fired up.
big_timmy
12/12/08 12:57:02AM

Lamb of god = Angry stereo-typical rubbish... nothing new... nothing clever... VERY over-rated... They haven't even got a heavy sound... I've taken craps that sound heavier than lamb of god...

Abbath... is the ugly step child of gene simmons, and bee arthur.
dannyfrank
12/12/08 3:14:47PM

I've taken craps that sound heavier than lamb of god...

havent we all
Jackelope
12/12/08 3:58:13PM
Bullet for my Valentine is good minus the emo singer. Seriously, their name alone is emo, and then they gotta take talented musicians and combine them with a fricken emo singer?

A lot of people have been hating on Mudvayne lately, but they're still one of my favorites (even with the new album) 5FDP kicks ass, As I Lay Dying is the shit, too.

BUT, the Metal band that owns all is the one and only-

Austrian Death Machine
higdon10
12/12/08 4:18:45PM

Posted by breakdown5

Lamb of God is in no way overrated my friend. They destroy live. Some very tight musicians. While they aren't my favorite band, I definitely enjoy them and think they deserve any praise that comes their way.

Lamb of God is far from overrated.
DJDark41
12/12/08 5:38:24PM
Its tough being a young metal fan nowadays. I just turned 17, and two years ago Gigantour rolled through and I wanted to go see it so bad. Who would pass up the chance to see Megadeth AND Lamb of God?! Then last year, I was absolutely crushed when I couldn't go see Gigantour 2007 at Hammerstein Ballroom. Megadeth, Bodom, In Flames, Job For A Cowboy, High On Fire... would've been BRUTAL! Hopefully going to see Trivium at Madison Square Garden in Febuary, touring with Slipknot(eh...)and Coheed & Cambria(despite not being metal, one of my favorite bands).

Anyways... WAR METAL! I wish I had a good picture of my hair to upload, I've been growing it for 3 years now, and its all in the name of heavy metal.
bobbydoomocculta
12/12/08 8:13:07PM

Posted by breakdown5

There's no need to get all fired up.

If I had a dollar everytime I heard that after someone mentioned lamb of god...
Sorry, they just offend me...
bobbydoomocculta
12/12/08 8:22:51PM

Posted by big_timmy

metal isn't about being "ugly" or "pretty"... Abbath has more originality in one of his craps than most of the bands you mentioned...
big_timmy
12/12/08 10:26:55PM

Posted by big_timmy

metal isn't about being "ugly" or "pretty"... Abbath has more originality in one of his craps than most of the bands you mentioned...

You and your craps boy, i think you have an obsesion.

Oh yes, Abbath is very unique and original.
bobbydoomocculta
12/12/08 11:34:12PM
often imitated never duplicated...

this is gay... see you bye...
browneye
12/15/08 1:54:56PM
big timmy knows his shit
mikevolz
12/15/08 6:50:48PM

Posted by breakdown5

I dig tons of metal and hardcore. Unearth, The Acacia Strain, Killswitch, Heal These Wounds, Candiria, Between the Buried and Me, Sepultura, Sabbath...there are just entirely too many to list. Metal gets shit from people who don't understand that the musicians in these bands are some of the most technical musicians in the world, hands down.

WAR METAL!!

not a band i thought id ever see mentioned on here.

deep cover.
higdon10
12/15/08 7:00:38PM
As I Lay Dying
breakdown5
12/15/08 7:34:46PM

Posted by mikevolz

Posted by breakdown5

WAR METAL!!

not a band i thought id ever see mentioned on here.

deep cover.

Yeah. Got all their albums and saw them years ago when I was a kid. They are a great band. Very diverse sound. Killer deathcore into a sweet jazz breakdown. Good stuff.
Pages: [1] 2