War Machine Gets Probation

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » War Machine Gets Probation
DCRage
2/22/08 10:23:36AM
TUF 6 contestant Jon "War Machine" Koppenhaver has been sentenced to 3 years' probation and a $2300 fine stemming from misdemeanor assault charges. The charge was reduced from a felony, which not only spared Koppenhaver potentially serious jail time, it also saved his UFC career-the felony would've voided his 10-fight contract.

Article
SmileR
2/22/08 10:34:45AM
Man that is lucky!
If the guy hadn't been cool war machine would be investing heavily in soap on a rope!

gsquat
2/22/08 11:05:03AM
Not a big surprise. Looks the troublemaking type.
McBee
2/22/08 11:16:14AM

Posted by gsquat

Not a big surprise. Looks the troublemaking type.

Yeah what the heck is the story behind it!? does not say much in the articlee is a better article http://www.10news.com/news/15371890/detail.html but it still does not explain why Zatkow was surrounded and then choked and beat down.
FantasyFighter
2/22/08 12:16:06PM
If I remember correctly they were all in a bar or club or something and this guy started making fun of War Machine and his buddies. Calling them meatheads and mocking them. And of course they were offended and things escalated from there. Search the news forum. It was posted on this site.
McBee
2/22/08 12:17:59PM
the one thing they said in the article is that it was out from of a MMA training facility, guy must be really stupid as well as forgiving
silverbullet
2/22/08 12:52:19PM
He got seriously lucky and I hope he learns his lesson. Doubt there will be another chance if he screws up again.
McBee
2/22/08 12:58:22PM

Posted by silverbullet

He got seriously lucky and I hope he learns his lesson. Doubt there will be another chance if he screws up again.

Does anybody know what BJ Penn is doing about his assault of an officer charge?
DCRage
2/22/08 1:18:13PM
That was settled a few months ago. Probation. He was allowed to go to the UK for the UFC event over there which was soon after the verdict was handed down.
McBee
2/22/08 1:20:42PM

Posted by DCRage

That was settled a few months ago. Probation. He was allowed to go to the UK for the UFC event over there which was soon after the verdict was handed down.

what was the story behind BJ? wasn't the cop undercover or something so BJ did not know?
CornishMMA
2/22/08 1:21:47PM

Posted by SmileR

Man that is lucky!
If the guy hadn't been cool war machine would be investing heavily in soap on a rope!

I very much doubt that soldier! Did you not see how well he reversed Rollins? he would do the same to any jail bumboys methinks. The MMA Army very much support a fighter with such a nickname as WAR MACHINE and i look forward to him at 155

Id forgotten all about this and LOL at his hearing about his next fight at UFC 84 before finding out he didnt go to jail like we thought he would
DCRage
2/22/08 1:24:22PM

Posted by McBee

Posted by DCRage

what was the story behind BJ? wasn't the cop undercover or something so BJ did not know?

It's a case that apparently took 2 1/2 years to settle, here's a link to the original Sherdog article:
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=2803
GermanWolf
2/22/08 2:08:20PM
10 fight contract? That is seriously locked in.
McBee
2/22/08 3:36:11PM

It's a case that apparently took 2 1/2 years to settle, here's a link to the original Sherdog article:
http://www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=2803

man I just read the article about BJ, how the heck did he get out of his charges?
Sir_Karl
2/22/08 4:00:52PM
Celebrity wrist slap for sure. I don't know the circumstances leading up to the alleged assault but it sounds like "War Machine" avoided jail or prison time and a serious lawsuit.
JimiMak
2/22/08 5:03:03PM

Posted by FantasyFighter

If I remember correctly they were all in a bar or club or something and this guy started making fun of War Machine and his buddies. Calling them meatheads and mocking them. And of course they were offended and things escalated from there. Search the news forum. It was posted on this site.

So basically their response was to prove the guy right. That's wicked cool BJ got off cuz it was the cop's fault and he didn't identify himself, besides anyone who hits a cop and gets away w/ it is good in my book.
Pookie
2/22/08 5:13:38PM

Posted by JimiMak

Posted by FantasyFighter

So basically their response was to prove the guy right. That's wicked cool BJ got off cuz it was the cop's fault and he didn't identify himself, besides anyone who hits a cop and gets away w/ it is good in my book.

yeah i remember hearing that the Cop instigated the fight.

I dont really believe his story either, the cop says he took bj down and was forced off by a group of men... BS.

No one takes Bj down, you know right there the cop is lying.... and it took a group of men to pull him off... if i randomly tackled bj penn(somehow), i would be choked out in seconds.
silverbullet
2/22/08 5:34:37PM

Posted by GermanWolf

By fight #8 he should be making at least two grand for a win!
McBee
2/22/08 5:37:15PM

Posted by silverbullet

Posted by GermanWolf

By fight #8 he should be making at least two grand for a win!

he is in it for the Fight of the Night bonus
loller90278
2/22/08 7:09:44PM

Posted by GermanWolf

yeah but i bet he's gonna get paid pennies for 10 fights.. like $8000 per fight..

bls1919
2/22/08 7:54:14PM
dude got lucky, hope he can turn it into a postitive and do well in the octagon. He lookd like he had good potential on the show