war machine

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » war machine
box111574
11/9/07 10:39:09AM
does anybody think that john war machine koppenhaver could be a good welterweight someday? let me know.
fullerene
11/9/07 11:26:55AM
I think it's possible. He seems to be a good athlete with decent wrestling, striking and subs so that's a good start. The show portrayed him as having mental/personality deficiencies that were going to hurt his chances. I agree that he would probably make a bad CEO or school teacher, but fighters are a different breed. The intense, zombie-stare, "The world is against me and I need to fight to prove something to them" personality goes pretty well with a champion fighter if it can be pointed in the right direction. I don't think he's been pointed that way yet, since it seems his training suffers because of his mental distractedness, but if he gets the right inspiration out of the opportunities he got from TUF...sure, why couldn't he be a good or even great fighter?
rcg916
11/9/07 11:47:08AM

Posted by fullerene

I think it's possible. He seems to be a good athlete with decent wrestling, striking and subs so that's a good start. The show portrayed him as having mental/personality deficiencies that were going to hurt his chances. I agree that he would probably make a bad CEO or school teacher, but fighters are a different breed. The intense, zombie-stare, "The world is against me and I need to fight to prove something to them" personality goes pretty well with a champion fighter if it can be pointed in the right direction. I don't think he's been pointed that way yet, since it seems his training suffers because of his mental distractedness, but if he gets the right inspiration out of the opportunities he got from TUF...sure, why couldn't he be a good or even great fighter?

Nice job. Well said.

I agree. He has heart 100% covered. Thats the part you cant teach.

Tried to give you props, but I have to spread the love... sorry man.
ohiostate1016
11/9/07 12:14:40PM
Yeah, I was kinda surprised that he wasn't on the original cast. He looked better than most of the guys out there. He could be solid.
tuvok500
11/9/07 12:43:56PM
I think he can be a good fighter !

he just need a real good camp with good trainers and good fighters who can help him in every aspect of fighting !!

the mental weakness that we saw was not worst than many others fighters who may seem confident but are choking when they lock the cage !!

no counting those who don't make weight or want to speak with there girlfriend !!

fedorwins1
11/9/07 12:54:17PM
With decent JJ he could be a good fighter, but without it he won't get anywhere.
loonytnt
11/9/07 3:34:38PM
i didacted that he was falling on the ground after the round was over, ive been gas in fights and i dont do that
fedorwins1
11/9/07 3:37:11PM

Posted by loonytnt

i didacted that he was falling on the ground after the round was over, ive been gas in fights and i dont do that

plus after he sat down he started yelling and flailing around. If you're truely gassed you wouldn't be doing that.
rcg916
11/9/07 5:39:55PM

Posted by loonytnt

They should sign you then, huh?

Scott_Revels
11/9/07 5:55:11PM
I think Koppenhaver will eventually with a great coach, be an amazing fighter. I think he lost the decision to Speers because he just wasn't strong enough to push the "New Blanket" off of himself. You would swear (and he might) that Speers trains with Koscheck, because that's what he was. Strong arm him, and then sit on top of him. The fight reminded me of Swick/Okami, except that Speers isn't anywhere as good as Okami. Swick looked good early, but was no match for Okami's strength. "War" has gained my respect a lot, and what little respect I had for Speers after escaping "War's" RNC attempts, was loss when he blanketed Koppenhaver.
NatedawgThaM
11/9/07 7:13:07PM
He'd mess GSP's day up...
Kainlock
11/10/07 8:02:19AM
I thought if he wasn't against the cage that choke would have finished it. But he couldn't pull back enough.
Jackelope
11/10/07 12:16:18PM
To me he screamed Ken Shamrock personality. I wasn't surprised at all when I found out that he had trained with the Lion's den.

After reading Mac Danzig's blog I kind of doubt we'll see War Machine in the future, but then again, what Mac Danzig says isn't gospel.

Personally I didn't really like the guy or his skill set and I definitely think him being under Matt Serra doesn't help his mental game.