WAR Leg Kicks!!!!!!!

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » WAR Leg Kicks!!!!!!!
jiujitsufreak74
7/7/08 8:44:37PM
I am a huge fan of leg kicks. when i fight, they are my best strike on the feet as they do so much. if you land solid leg kicks, you make your opponent change stances, take away his punching power, limit his mobility, draw extra attention to your kicks which gives you an opening for punches and also makes it easier to win scrambles. Joe Rogan points them out in every single fight, and although he sounds like a leg kick freak, he loves them for a reason.

So, after the Forrest fight, do you think leg kicks will become even more popular? i mean they are utilized quite often, but only a select few truly use them frequently and correctly. but now, since Forrest pretty much won the belt with leg kicks, would you like to see more of them? do you think judges should put more emphasis on leg kick damage when scoring a fight?

pretty much, this thread is for discussing leg kicks in MMA
Pookie
7/7/08 8:47:52PM
i think alot of fighters who can kick effectively do.

But i dont expect to see many wrestlers start adapting them into their gameplans... you got to condition the shit out of your shins lol.
iwannabesedated
7/7/08 8:49:24PM
Jardine Beat Chuck with Leg Kicks
Forrest Hurt Rampage with leg kicks

So yes,I think more people should start using them.

I havent seen the fight but i heard Gonzage Rocked McCully with a nasty leg kick.,But thats just what i heard.

wolfman
7/7/08 8:49:39PM
I agree, I love leg kicks! Do I think that the one fight you mentioned will popularize leg kicks? Yes and no, if anything Thiago Alves and Hardonk's leg kicks would have popularized more leg kicks by now. I would like to see more leg kicks in fights, because when they are utilized correctly they are devastating as you mentioned. So, yes I'd like to see more and I think the judges already factor leg kick damage in, but I could be wrong. If not, there should be more of an emphasis on leg kick damage.
Pookie
7/7/08 8:51:40PM
This thread makes me want shogun to get healthy.
wolfman
7/7/08 8:52:17PM

Posted by 40ouncetofreedom

Jardine Beat Chuck with Leg Kicks
Forrest Hurt Rampage with leg kicks

So yes,I think more people should start using them.

I havent seen the fight but i heard Gonzage Rocked McCully with a nasty leg kick.,But thats just what i heard.

Yeah, he threw a right leg kick at McCully's lead leg and it knocked him right on his ass!!!
juanez13
7/7/08 9:01:02PM
Sorry dude, but i dont think there is a bigger Leg Kick fan than myself....
thats why i love Hardonk and Alves, those 2 probably have the best leg kicks in MMA right now. i always backed up Hardonk when very few people did, but now people opened their eyes and saw his potential. And thats one of the reasosn i watch as much K1 as i do MMA, shame alot of people on here dont, i've seen people talk about it, but very few actually watch live events and actually know what going on in the K1 world.

Also when i fight i utilize alot of leg kicks, i'd somewhat similar to Thiago's kicks, throw and inside kick followed by a left straight, and once in a while i'll do the Bonjasky style (cover up, and throw a few kicks, body and legs), i was always more of a boxer, but changed a bit ever since i started training at my friends gym. I went 3-0 in amateur kickboxing, but quit since i dont have much time to train, and now only train with friends on weekends at the gym for fun.( it was mainly just to try it out and for fun since i know some of the guys that do the show, and work there).....

War Leg Kicks
juanez13
7/7/08 9:04:15PM

Posted by Pookie

But i dont expect to see many wrestlers start adapting them into their gameplans... you got to condition the shit out of your shins lol.

True, just look at Tyson Griffin as an example. he showed great leg kicks against Aurelio in their fight.

Also, about the Mention on Gonzaga, he does have extremely powerful kicks (as a whole, every kind of kick he throws has tremendous power)...just look at his fight with Werdum, his puts tons of power into his leg kicks.
Pookie
7/7/08 9:05:25PM

Posted by juanez13

Posted by Pookie

True, just look at Tyson Griffin as an example. he showed great leg kicks against Aurelio in their fight.

Also, about the Mention on Gonzaga, he does have extremely powerful kicks (as a whole, every kind of kick he throws has tremendous power)...just look at his fight with Werdum, his puts tons of power into his leg kicks.

...and then he gasses because he put too much into them lol
wolfman
7/7/08 9:05:59PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by juanez13

Posted by Pookie

Yes, this is very true.
juanez13
7/7/08 9:07:05PM

Posted by Pookie

Posted by juanez13

Posted by Pookie

yea Werdum was never in that fight until GG gassed and just gave up, IMO GG is the most talented HW in the UFC, if he cant get in great Shape, i dont see anybody in the division that can touch him, not even Nog.
Pookie
7/7/08 9:09:06PM
I dont think gonzaga will ever fulfill his potential.
wolfman
7/7/08 9:10:45PM

Posted by Pookie

You know what, I think you could be right. It's too bad also, if he had cardio for days he would be a force to be reckoned with! Hopefully, he proves us wrong though.
juanez13
7/7/08 9:16:20PM

Posted by wolfman

Posted by Pookie

You know what, I think you could be right. It's too bad also, if he had cardio for days he would be a force to be reckoned with! Hopefully, he proves us wrong though.

i think he will, right now with few contenders in the UFC, a spot is open for him to make his comeback. Who is going to fight between now and when Nog defends the title that could really be challenge to him. i think they'll give him hardonk or Kongo next, and although im a Hardonk fan, GG is way too good on the ground, same goes for Kongo (although im not much of his fan). than he'll probably fight once more against a guy higher up, i would think Herring would be it (win or loose against brock)...GG wins that fight, and probably gets a shot after werdum had his, and he wont take this one for granted, he looked very focused again McCully, and he'd be ready now, and would take the title away from Nog or Werdum.

so what im tryin to say is, WAR GG!
jiujitsufreak74
7/7/08 9:16:58PM
well imo, JJ guys should really utilize leg kicks. Gonzaga has been mentioned as effectively utilizing leg kicks, but Jorge Gurgel was firing them off really well in his fight too. the reason i think JJ guys should adapt them into their striking is because the biggest draw back to using leg kicks is that they leave you open to a take down. if you are a skilled JJ guy, not too many people will want to go to the ground with you plus there isn't too much danger if you do get taken down off of a leg kick so that eliminates that factor.

I absolutely love Thaigo's and Hardonk's leg kicks. they make me smile every time i see them batter the leg of their opponent. Jardine also has some sick leg kicks, as illustrated against Chuck Liddell. i would personally liek to see CC use them a bit more because with his kicking power even a checked kick will do immense damage. but the reason he doesn't use them too often is because of the draw back i mentioned before. plus, they would be a great way to set up his LHK.
juanez13
7/7/08 9:25:05PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

well imo, JJ guys should really utilize leg kicks. Gonzaga has been mentioned as effectively utilizing leg kicks, but Jorge Gurgel was firing them off really well in his fight too. the reason i think JJ guys should adapt them into their striking is because the biggest draw back to using leg kicks is that they leave you open to a take down. if you are a skilled JJ guy, not too many people will want to go to the ground with you plus there isn't too much danger if you do get taken down off of a leg kick so that eliminates that factor.

I absolutely love Thaigo's and Hardonk's leg kicks. they make me smile every time i see them batter the leg of their opponent. Jardine also has some sick leg kicks, as illustrated against Chuck Liddell. i would personally liek to see CC use them a bit more because with his kicking power even a checked kick will do immense damage. but the reason he doesn't use them too often is because of the draw back i mentioned before. plus, they would be a great way to set up his LHK.

another Reason why JJ guys should utilize leg kicks, its because of their lack of wrestling. that has always been the biggest problem JJ guy have to face, guys like Maia, Big Nog, etc.. all struggle with their lack of wrestling. Leg kicks would help them tremendously to get the fight to the ground, as it would be much easier to utilize trips and takedowns if leg kicks were utilized correctly.
jiujitsufreak74
7/7/08 9:28:31PM

Posted by juanez13

another Reason why JJ guys should utilize leg kicks, its because of their lack of wrestling. that has always been the biggest problem JJ guy have to face, guys like Maia, Big Nog, etc.. all struggle with their lack of wrestling. Leg kicks would help them tremendously to get the fight to the ground, as it would be much easier to utilize trips and takedowns if leg kicks were utilized correctly.

i 1,000% agree. perfect example is the GG vs McCully fight that was mentioned earlier.

need to spread the love...apparantly i only prop the same people over and over again as wolfman and pookie need me to spread the love too...
NatedawgThaM
7/7/08 9:45:03PM
Yeah leg kicks are probably the most underrated weapon in MMA offense. Props, great thread!

Mirko Cro Cop vs Yoshida was seriously one of the most painful fights that I have ever seen.

edit: I'm gonna go spread the love real quick but I'll be back to prop!
jiujitsufreak74
7/7/08 9:55:46PM

Posted by NatedawgThaM

Yeah leg kicks are probably the most underrated weapon in MMA offense. Props, great thread!

Mirko Cro Cop vs Yoshida was seriously one of the most painful fights that I have ever seen.

edit: I'm gonna go spread the love real quick but I'll be back to prop!

you know what, that is exactly what i am talking about. CC should use more leg kicks like he did against Yoshida. those were some vicious strikes and i only wish he would utilize them a bit more often.
loller90278
7/7/08 10:29:12PM
i like the leg kicks where the fighers put their whole body into it and snap the kick. i dont like the 60% half ass kick, not for damage but just to throw it. i want to see so much momentum in any kick that if you miss you'll have to do a 360.

also, jab-straight-leg kick is my favorite combo in the world.
juanez13
7/7/08 10:40:07PM
Somebody needs to make a HL of Leg kicks

wouldnt that be a great HL?? show great leg kicks, and showing their opponents hurt, and cant even walk.

if anybody reading this knows how to make a HL, this are some fights that should be included.

Andy Hug Vs Ray Sefo

Andy Hug Vs Mike Bernardo K1 WGP finals 1996

Cro Cop Vs Yoshida

Hardonk vs Colin Robinson

Hardonk vs Sherman Pendergarst

Alves Vs Lytle

Lebanner vs Mike Bernardo WGP 1995

Peter Aerts vs Mighty Mo

Peter Aerts vs Gary Goodridge WGP 2004

Peter Aerts vs Ray Sefo 2000

Bojasky Vs Gary Goodridge (also clips from other fights from him, although he didnt finish them by low kicks, he still had some awesome display of them, EX. against Bob Sapp, michael Macdonald, etc...)

Lebanner Vs Hunt

also alot of footage on Ernesto hoost, to much to put.

jiujitsufreak74
7/8/08 1:06:23AM
if someone can make the highlight juanez mentioned...i will prop you forever
RNC
7/8/08 1:10:52AM
Bas Rutten vs Warpath
jiujitsufreak74
7/8/08 1:14:27AM

Posted by Dialect

Bas Rutten vs Warpath

yeah Bas has some serious power in his leg kicks...on Fight Science his kick was the same force as a car accident...and that was a round-house, i can only imagine what getting hit on the thigh by that power would feel like. i mean, if you can score a KO via leg kick that is pretty intense.
7/8/08 11:58:21AM
In MMA it seems like no-one blocks leg kicks either, witch is why people who do use them have such a great advantage. Fronk push kicks, or teeps, don't get thrown much either, that is a great strike to disrupt someone while there throwing a technique.

About that highlight, Rob Kaman has some of the Best leg kicks too.
RNC
7/8/08 7:12:40PM

Posted by jiujitsufreak74

Posted by Dialect

Bas Rutten vs Warpath

yeah Bas has some serious power in his leg kicks...on Fight Science his kick was the same force as a car accident...and that was a round-house, i can only imagine what getting hit on the thigh by that power would feel like. i mean, if you can score a KO via leg kick that is pretty intense.

Very intense. Its crazy the kinda power he packs.
Mastodon2
7/10/08 4:04:36PM
I love low kicks (lets get the terminology right, its not a "leg kick", thats an MMA misnomer!) but I rarely see good ones in MMA. I used to think that some MMA fighters had brutal low kicks (we do occasionally see a good one from Cro Cop or Wanderlei) but generally they arent used amazingly well in MMA. I hope that can change, and more skilled strikers get into MMA, but at the moment its not the case. I love striking far more than I care for wrestling, and as such I watch more K-1 and Muay Thai than I do MMA at the moment, I certainly enjoy K-1 more, as difficult as it is to follow in England.

For a great display of low kicks, just watch any Ernesto Hoost highlight. Aerts may have a harder low kicks, but the way Ernesto comboed into them with a boxing start was poetry in motion, and he had a canny whip on those kicks too. The way he completely embarressed Igor Vovchanchyn (one of my favourite MMA fighters, who was destroying people with brutal KO's in MMA at the time) was simply amazing, Vovchanchyn couldn't even get close to Hoost.