Wang the sleeper this weekend?

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA Playground Game Talk » Wang the sleeper this weekend?
Next Page »
hamm
6/19/07 3:41:52PM
I am considering dumping my money on Wang this saturday. He is a BJJ blackbelt, but showed no groundgame in his first fight on TUF. Cole Miller is also a wrestling sub guy and might not have much standing.

What do you guys think, does Wang have a chance to pull off the upset?
szucconi
6/19/07 3:54:13PM
I think he has a chance, but not much of one. He is going to panic. Hes going to get hit or taken down and will get to flustered to pull out a win. Wrestlers are must more composed. I like Brian Geraghty as the sleeper. I think Wiman is soft.
ProfessorChaos
6/19/07 4:58:28PM
Apparently other are thinking just like you has he started as a 6:! and now he's at 4.4:1

Hopefully his BJJ blackbelt is well earned cause it's going to the ground.
BerndRealBad
6/19/07 8:07:57PM

I like Brian Geraghty as the sleeper. I think Wiman is soft.

While I wouldn't be shocked if Geraghty won, what would ever give you the indication that Wiman was soft? Maybe I missed something.
szucconi
6/19/07 10:38:04PM

Posted by BerndRealBad

I like Brian Geraghty as the sleeper. I think Wiman is soft.

While I wouldn't be shocked if Geraghty won, what would ever give you the indication that Wiman was soft? Maybe I missed something.

Wiman has 6 MMA wins, but he is 0-3 verus fighter with at least ONE pro fight. Geraghty has meny more fights and some quality wins. Throw out what you saw on the show because I don't think they showed the whole story.

Plus on the UFC web site his strength is Charm and I think that is funny.

His training is listed and it is also funny.
"TRAINING: wake up 6:30 am train boxing and do conditioning. Take a long break and cat nap. Come back at 6:00 pm train grappling and MMA for 2 hours. Last, I hit the weight room for weight training. Meditate for 5 to 6 seconds. Eat two boxes of Snickers ice cream bars. Then have a poop and a nap."
NME
6/19/07 11:13:58PM

Posted by szucconi
His training is listed and it is also funny.
"TRAINING: wake up 6:30 am train boxing and do conditioning. Take a long break and cat nap. Come back at 6:00 pm train grappling and MMA for 2 hours. Last, I hit the weight room for weight training. Meditate for 5 to 6 seconds. Eat two boxes of Snickers ice cream bars. Then have a poop and a nap."

I love this man.
BerndRealBad
6/19/07 11:15:08PM
This might be true, the 0-3 mark against fighters with more than one pro fight, but look who those fighters are. He lost a decision to Huerta, was hanging with Fisher into that knee. Also if you count his fight with Manny, it was even until Manny just kept him down but still couldn't put him away. Must be the extra snickers bars.
szucconi
6/19/07 11:46:23PM

Posted by BerndRealBad

This might be true, the 0-3 mark against fighters with more than one pro fight, but look who those fighters are. He lost a decision to Huerta, was hanging with Fisher into that knee. Also if you count his fight with Manny, it was even until Manny just kept him down but still couldn't put him away. Must be the extra snickers bars.

Geraghty is the one with the snickers bars. Wiman has lost to some quality guys, but Geraghty has some win aginst some guys with wins. Not to mention his decision loss to undefeted Thiago Tavares. Geraghty beat a guy that fought at WEC 26, IMO that is better then losing to to Spencer Fisher.
NME
6/20/07 8:37:36AM

Posted by szucconi
Geraghty beat a guy that fought at WEC 26, IMO that is better then losing to to Spencer Fisher.

Yeah, but Tommy Lee is a featherweight. It's tough to give a guy credit for beating someone a weight class below himself.
szucconi
6/20/07 11:43:59AM

Posted by NME

Posted by szucconi
Geraghty beat a guy that fought at WEC 26, IMO that is better then losing to to Spencer Fisher.

Yeah, but Tommy Lee is a featherweight. It's tough to give a guy credit for beating someone a weight class below himself.

But it was a win. Geraghty has wins against people with winning records. Wiman doesn't have a single win against anyone with any record. David Franks is the only win under Wimans belt that went on to have any more fights.
awesome
6/20/07 12:04:44PM
from joe l.'s blog he said that cole millers biggest strength is his stand up.. and that he has good bjj in case he is taken down.. yet he prefers the stand up.. which you can see is true in both of his tuf fights where he stood till the other guy took him down.
NME
6/20/07 12:35:13PM

Posted by szucconi
But it was a win. Geraghty has wins against people with winning records. Wiman doesn't have a single win against anyone with any record. David Franks is the only win under Wimans belt that went on to have any more fights.

Let me tell you a story regarding this sort of logic.

Back at UFC 70, I was given the lock of the century by someone whose opinion on fighting I respect. This person pointed out that Alessio Sakara had never beaten anyone with a winning record, thus Victor Valimaki was a sure thing.

Sakara defeated Valimaki, who has a winning record, via TKO in the first round.

Which isn't to say that Wiman will win, but I would advise against betting the house on Geraghty.
Violentcuv
6/20/07 1:01:15PM
I dont see Wang pulling off an upset.
I am going with Cole on that one.

But I dont think Wiman is what he is cracked up to be either..
Picking Geraghty in that fight..
szucconi
6/20/07 1:53:12PM

Posted by NME

Posted by szucconi

Let me tell you a story regarding this sort of logic.

Back at UFC 70, I was given the lock of the century by someone whose opinion on fighting I respect. This person pointed out that Alessio Sakara had never beaten anyone with a winning record, thus Victor Valimaki was a sure thing.

Sakara defeated Valimaki, who has a winning record, via TKO in the first round.

Which isn't to say that Wiman will win, but I would advise against betting the house on Geraghty.

Here’s my argument for Wiman. 55% of the people he has beaten have quite the sport. He has retired five guys. He’s a beast. He had eight matches before his first UFC match so he is a rising star. He went the distance with Huerta and has examined Spencer Fishers knee very closely.

I think the Wiman auditions for TUF went something like this. They saw his nickname, "Handsome", then made sure it wasn't ironic and signed him up. I think he’s got a chance to win, but Geraghty is my sleeper. Wiman seems like he will play defense until he smells blood and I don't think Geraghty will ever be in any trouble. My prediction is the match will go something like this:

They will both come out tentative, but Wiman will be more confident. Wiman might strike first and Geraghty might dodge or weather some big right hands. Geraghty will hang around and frustrate Wiman. Wiman will start to panic and one of them will go for a shot. If Geraghty ends up on top then he can ride and pound his was to an easy win. If Geraghty is on bottom then I see it ending early via triangle.
CornishMMA
6/20/07 2:28:48PM

But hey what about Wang - will he hear "beautiful wang" again? Will he listen to his corner and take Cole down? I think he will of learnt his lesson and realise he looked like an idiot, he wont wanna cry really weirdly in front of a massive crowd this time so i see him fighting a much better fight, may still pick Miller but think Wang is worth a small wager TBH
szucconi
6/20/07 2:36:06PM

Posted by CornishMMA

But hey what about Wang - will he hear "beautiful wang" again? Will he listen to his corner and take Cole down? I think he will of learnt his lesson and realise he looked like an idiot, he wont wanna cry really weirdly in front of a massive crowd this time so i see him fighting a much better fight, may still pick Miller but think Wang is worth a small wager TBH

He asked if wang was the sleeper and I said no. Then I told him who was. That is not off topic. Wang is going to get stomped.
CornishMMA
6/20/07 2:41:14PM

LOL - i know i just wanted to use that smily

Wang by DQ WIN then
CornishMMA
6/20/07 2:49:35PM
But actually dude im gonna disagree with you all on who the sleeper is - ITS FLOYD SWORD - the guy has more experience with better fighters than Leites, and has fought mostly at 205 so must be big, his only losses are to Eastman and Southworth, and given how easily a small Kampman handled Thales in the standup i see this guy maybe doing similar, best odds at most likeliness IMHO
szucconi
6/20/07 3:08:38PM

Posted by CornishMMA

But actually dude im gonna disagree with you all on who the sleeper is - ITS FLOYD SWORD - the guy has more experience with better fighters than Leites, and has fought mostly at 205 so must be big, his only losses are to Eastman and Southworth, and given how easily a small Kampman handled Thales in the standup i see this guy maybe doing similar, best odds at most likeliness IMHO

Nice pick and analysis. sword was fighting at 205 for a while and has never lost at 185. This might be his first fight at 185. He hasen't beat anyone worth mentioning, but he hasn't lost to anyone that hasen't fought in a major org and they were both fights in a higher weight class. Should be a good match up.
CornishMMA
6/21/07 8:58:42AM
Yeah dude, though it should also be noted than 8/11 of those fights were in '99-2001, he had 1 win in 2003 against a debuting fighter, then 2 wins last year one of them against another debuting fighter but the other against a fairly tough Pardoe via triangle choke so the guy obviously has good BJJ so should be able to nullify Leites sub attempts and i guess that Sword will have the edge in the striking as he is bigger and Thales got pwned by Kampman who could fight at 170

I have gone off Wang (yes snigger snigger) and think i may have Geraghty as my 2nd underdog wager, hope one of them comes in good! I was annoyed at that fight being main card at first but now i will be really excited about it and totally rooting for Sword (just listened to him on the SDS and he sounds good and ready)
TB_The_Savior
6/21/07 8:32:22PM
I like both Geraghty & Sword as sleepers on Saturday...
JWall023
6/22/07 2:32:36PM

Posted by Violentcuv

I dont see Wang pulling off an upset.
I am going with Cole on that one.

But I dont think Wiman is what he is cracked up to be either..
Picking Geraghty in that fight..

yeah i had wilman untill i actually thought about it and i picked geraghty and bet on him, so GO GERAGHTY
nellyhiphophead
6/22/07 2:38:23PM
GERAGHTY is forsure and you can make more off him forsure sure. i didn't see anything in wangs fight to think h has a chance with miller. att all the way miller has killers to train with every day and i herd jon fitch talk high of him so i think cole has this one geraghty show alot of hart in his fight
MisFiT
6/22/07 2:46:41PM
I'm throwing all my de niro down on the BIG WANGGGG.
szucconi
6/22/07 2:46:46PM
When the odds opened up on Bodog geraghty was a +425 and a lot of money on him has move the odds to +350. A lot of people agree that geraghty is a good pick. It makes me feel smart. Hopfully it come through and I hope they show it on TV.
nellyhiphophead
6/22/07 2:50:18PM
do the odds change on this sight as the fight gets closer
NME
6/22/07 4:12:28PM

Posted by nellyhiphophead

Odds can (and often do) change with all bookmakers as fights draw near because that it when most of the action takes place. If people are betting on one fighter in particular over the other, the line will move accordingly.
szucconi
6/22/07 4:22:19PM

Posted by NME

Posted by nellyhiphophead

Odds can (and often do) change with all bookmakers as fights draw near because that it when most of the action takes place. If people are betting on one fighter in particular over the other, the line will move accordingly.

The fight odds on mmaplayground change based on the picks for a fight. That might not be the only reason they change, but it is having an effect. As more people pick manny, the odds are moving. I don't believe that the odds are set based on who is the favorite, they are set be a formula.

NME, however, is right when it comes to real betting site.
nellyhiphophead
6/22/07 4:22:44PM
i know they do most the time jsut seeing if they do on here and have yet at all as ppl put in there wagers and make picks.
LightsOut33093
6/22/07 9:58:31PM
szucconi...u sure are acting like ur REALLY smart for only making the right picks only 50% of the time...for anybody listening 2 szucconi, think twice...although i do also like geraghty
Pages: [1] 2