Why did Wandy do so poorly in the UFC?

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » General MMA Talk » Why did Wandy do so poorly in the UFC?
pv3Hpv3p
2/8/07 1:01:10PM
I read the thread on Pride coming to Vegas this month, and it got me thinking...

How many of Wandy's fights have you seen him use stomps and soccer kicks? And how many times have those been effective in his victories? I think Wanderlei is a great fighter and a true warrior... So did the UFC's (NSAC's) rules inhiibit his game plan(s)???

Also, with that being said, Do you think Shogun would be as dominant having to abide by the US rules?
Manfred
2/8/07 1:35:09PM
I think they both would do great in the US. Shogun would do better IMO.

Unless Hendo takes Wandy's belt, Shogun has peaked in PRIDE. I hope he comes to the UFC.
pv3Hpv3p
2/8/07 1:52:40PM

Posted by Manfred

Unless Hendo takes Wandy's belt, Shogun has peaked in PRIDE. I hope he comes to the UFC.

They are two of the top 5 LHW's on the planet, so I think they will have great success in wherever they fight... I was just throwing around the idea that the NSAC's rules would take some important tools out of their arsenal...

It's unfortunate that we won't see Wanderlei and Shogun fight eachother in Pride, but completely understandable... It would be great to see one or the other come over and show the US audience what Chutebox is all about...
Manfred
2/9/07 1:08:40AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

They are two of the top 5 LHW's on the planet, so I think they will have great success in wherever they fight... I was just throwing around the idea that the NSAC's rules would take some important tools out of their arsenal...

It's unfortunate that we won't see Wanderlei and Shogun fight eachother in Pride, but completely understandable... It would be great to see one or the other come over and show the US audience what Chutebox is all about...

Yeah, I kust think Shogun would adapt better.

They did say that if they met in a tournament, they would fight.
JunCTion
2/9/07 1:35:29AM

Posted by Manfred

i could see shogun comming over soon but i don't see wandy ever comming to the ufc. hes king of the mountain over there and hes going to stay king for a while and how would it look if he came over here (if) he lost his belt. hed be motivated that much more to get it back. i think he retires the pride middleweight champion then maybe we'll see him.
hippysmacker
2/9/07 3:32:01AM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I read the thread on Pride coming to Vegas this month, and it got me thinking...

How many of Wandy's fights have you seen him use stomps and soccer kicks? And how many times have those been effective in his victories? I think Wanderlei is a great fighter and a true warrior... So did the UFC's (NSAC's) rules inhiibit his game plan(s)???

Also, with that being said, Do you think Shogun would be as dominant having to abide by the US rules?

I think Wandy has just grown as afighter since then. Sure, lack of stomps and soccer kicks could either one, but I just think Shogun is more well rounded and would be a better matchup with Chuck.
Tha1
2/9/07 2:08:54PM

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

wanderlei's fight with tito was in brazil, no nsac. tito was too tal for him to effictively use the clinch and knee, his takedown defense was also not great.
madmarck
2/9/07 3:13:56PM

Posted by hippysmacker

Posted by pv3Hpv3p

I think Wandy has just grown as afighter since then. Sure, lack of stomps and soccer kicks could either one, but I just think Shogun is more well rounded and would be a better matchup with Chuck.

Yeah his ground game and TK defence have improved a lot. I think its just the fact that he has learned more over time. Look back at Chuck. He always had fights go to the ground. But then again Chuck used his wrestling more in theold days.
Svartorm
2/9/07 4:51:27PM
His UFC record isn't THAT bad. He lost to Vitor when Vitor was at the top of his game, and he lost a decison to Tito via lay and pray. I think Wandy has come a long way since than.
teamquestnorth
2/9/07 6:30:18PM
he was just young then and peaked later than vitor and tito. compare their skills now
CrazyDriver16
2/9/07 7:15:12PM
Lack of juice?
jocksmall
2/9/07 8:09:51PM
agree with hippy wand is just better than he was in the ufc. better takedown defense, better striking, more confidence, more power. hes just more developed than he was in the ufc.
StraightLeft
2/9/07 8:23:07PM
Have to say it was because he was younger and hadnt come into his own. I think it would be a much different story if he were to fight in the UFC now. I would not want to be in a cage with that man lol