Wandy vs Machida...

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » Wandy vs Machida...
Twerkwrench
5/25/08 8:32:06PM
That would be fun to watch. Who do you think would win?
Gipper
5/25/08 8:41:10PM
i think it's going to have to be a guy like wand that will beat machida. someone that will come forward at all time and stay in you face. wand by ko.
Styles
5/25/08 8:42:30PM
One of 2 things would happen.. either Wandy would catch Mach and put him out, or Mach would evade the onslaught, get Wandy to the ground and either win by GnP or choke. Tough to say which would happen though. Mach is good, but I dont think he is Champ worthy right at this point. I think he woul dhave a hard time with Shogun and Rampage.

I would really like to see Mach against Dan Henderson if Henderson would step up again. I believe Wandy is heading down to the 185 class though too.
ncordless
5/25/08 8:45:06PM
Machida is probably the worst style matchup for Silva. Machida's ability to keep the fight at a distance would be tough for Silva to overcome. If it's classic Wandy v. Machida, I'd say Machida by UD.

However, if Wandy's training with Couture's gym is rounding out his game (and I don't see how it couldn't) then it might be alot different then we think. A fighter with the heart of Wandy and the gameplanning of Couture/Tompkins is definitely a formidable opponent for anyone.
Image Attachment(s):
Photo Attachment 1
Kpro
5/25/08 8:45:30PM
It looks like they're rushing Wandy to a LHW title shot so that even if he loses he'll drop to 185 sooner to face Anderson.

There's no other explanation to decipher why Evans is fighting for #1 contender instead of Machida.
jocka
5/25/08 8:52:36PM
At this point i think Evans should be fighthing Lyoto for the number one contender and Wandy should be fighthing Thiago (silva vs silva lol)
Twenty20Dollars
5/25/08 9:10:48PM
wandy would tko machida
mrkennedy
5/25/08 10:01:25PM
machida gone a keep his distance and beat wandy by ud
ICSlegend
5/25/08 10:04:34PM

Posted by ncordless

Machida is probably the worst style matchup for Silva. Machida's ability to keep the fight at a distance would be tough for Silva to overcome. If it's classic Wandy v. Machida, I'd say Machida by UD.

However, if Wandy's training with Couture's gym is rounding out his game (and I don't see how it couldn't) then it might be alot different then we think. A fighter with the heart of Wandy and the gameplanning of Couture/Tompkins is definitely a formidable opponent for anyone.

I actually think gameplanning would be useless against Machida. The guy is too technically sound everywhere. Only way I see him getting beat is if Wand comes out super-aggressive like the Wand of old, and overwhelmes Machida with strikes for the TKO, using the clinch probably. Easier said then done of course.

If Wand is tentative, Machida will just outpoint him. Machida doesn't have the KO power to put him away, and Wanderlei can't be subbed.

warglory
5/25/08 10:33:30PM
The problem with Wandy is that he isn't a distance striker. He is an in your face brawler who enjoys destroying people in the clinch. While Machida woud probably be vulnerable to an active striker, I think he is just too evasive to allow Wandy to get in close enough to be effective. I also think that Machida might have a longer reach. This would be another UD for Machida unless Wandy could make some fireworks happen.
Pookie
5/25/08 10:36:44PM
Machida has great footwork, which you need to be able to beat wandy.

But Machida's lack of power might just allow wandy to just keep charging forward. Wandy has the type of KO power that can put anyone on their ass. Hardest hitter in the division.
Mchubb316
5/25/08 10:38:14PM
Wand I think is the type of guy who would chase Machida down, and not be afraid of getting hit coming in, and be able to land some strikes on Machida. If it did go to the ground, Wand is a black belt in JJ, and would be more than comfortable there.
warglory
5/25/08 11:03:47PM

Posted by Mchubb316

Wand I think is the type of guy who would chase Machida down, and not be afraid of getting hit coming in, and be able to land some strikes on Machida. If it did go to the ground, Wand is a black belt in JJ, and would be more than comfortable there.

Machida is a black belt too I believe.
AnDeRsonDaSiLvA
5/25/08 11:11:05PM
machida ud . similar to chuck
loller90278
5/25/08 11:16:05PM
why would evans fight for the title? i think if wandy wins, then he goes to fight the winner of rampage/forrest. if evans wins, then he gets a thumbs up and a lot of people saying that it was a lucky win.
JunCTion
5/26/08 1:18:00AM
wandy by 2nd rnd TKO

after losing 2 fights in a row going into the lidell fight i think his confidence was a little unstable. i think he was hesitant to go full speed ahead at chuck and risk getting caught. the problem was chuck was in the same position and niether of them did much of anything and time ran out on wandy. but after violently knocking jardine on his ass (i know it's only jardine) i think he'll have a new wave of confidence. he's gonna want to fight the best. he's gonna want a shot at the belt. he's gonna bull through any one in his way. even's, forest, even machida and maybe lidell (cause he's gonna want another shot).

the only issue that might present itself on the way is
silva v rampage 3 (not a rubber match)
rampage v lidell 3 (not a rubber match)
lidell v silva 2 (knocking one of them right back down again)

i can't see rashad or jardine (if he picks himself up off the mat),
competing with those three on a regular basis yet.

henderson, rua, machida could and should compete right now

maybe soon thiago, little nog, soku or forrest (i'm still not sold on him and he will not beat rampage!)

the rankings should be
1rampage / 2 lidell / 3wandy / 4machida / 5henderson
6rua / 7forest / 8soko / 9thiago / 10 little nog

the nice thing about this division is that it's not as lopsided as the WWs & MWs
NatedawgThaM
5/26/08 1:31:00AM

Posted by ncordless

I'd actually say Wandy is the BEST style match up against Machida. I said this earlier today that you need to be an elite former or current chutebox product or Rampage. Somebody with no clear weakness that Machida can't exploit like Rampage or somebody that will NEVER stop coming at him on the feet with a great chin like Wandy since Machida does not have enough power to keep Wandy off of him and with a decent ground game so Machida can't sub yo and most Chutebox guys tend to have BJJ black belts. maybe they give them away to loosely or maybe Brazilians are just natrual born naturals with BJJ.

I'll say Wandy 2nd RD KO. He'll keep coming at him and hopefully catch him with a big hook since Machida's chin is still suspect just like everybody else who hasn't been hit cleanly yet which speaks volumes for his slickness. But I definitely wouldn't be surprised if he pulled a Floyd Mayweather like he did against Tito and just circles the whole time hitting him with a one-two every time he is able to get close which would be 2-3 times a round. Not the most exciting technique but effective. Sad Floyd Mayweather/Sugar Ray Leonard type counter punchers are taking over MMA too.