What if Wanderlei Silva moves to middleweight??

MMAPlayground.com » MMA General » UFC Forum » What if Wanderlei Silva moves to middleweight??
ricoj3323
2/19/08 1:20:00AM
I think if Wanderlei Silva moves to middleweight the following will happen:

Jardine will fight lyoto if tito pulls out which I really hope he does so they can bring in vitor to knock tito out.
and I think Wanderlei Silva should fight another banger like cote or maybe a well rounded fighter like nate marquardt. Eventually he will get a couple wins under his belt and hopefully if hes still champion anderson silva and Wanderlei Silva will slug it out

The reasoning for this topic is that on mmamania.com there is a article explaining that Wanderlei Silva continues to think about the move to 185

what would you think would happen
CantAndleDaRiddum
2/19/08 1:22:18AM
thats an interesting thought, bet he'd get more ko's
ocho-cinco
2/19/08 1:30:51AM
That would be a dope fight, but I think Wanderlie already said he is going to stay at 205.
MMAcca
2/19/08 1:42:20AM
Could Wanderlei make 185 and still be as effective ?

I kind of have my doubts.....
Diamondback2
2/19/08 1:42:28AM
yeah he has said he will not move down to 185. it's too much weight. 100% staying at 205.
RMFG_187
2/19/08 2:48:09AM
Wandy won't drop down. Unless Anderson Silva losses to Hendo, i see no chance of Wandy dropping down to MW. Cuz its not like hes gonna fight Anderson Silva
whardin19
2/19/08 7:18:11AM
I just don't see Wanderlei moving to 185. He's sherreded at 205. Not sure he'd be able to make it down to that weight and still have his strength.
hippysmacker
2/19/08 8:11:18AM
I think Wandy should move down if he is no longer successful at 205. He is small for the division IMO, but I also think Lambert, Evans, and Gouvea should move down. Maybe I've just got weight cutting on the brain
cmill21
2/19/08 8:31:02AM
In all honesty I have no idea how the hell he can make it. He is small for the div hight wise, but he still fought Cro Cop at high 220's low 230's, that might be a rough cut for him.
cj_striker
2/19/08 9:17:19AM
Wanderlei can make the cut to 185 if he's dedicated enough. Franklin and him both walk around at about 215, and Franklin successfully makes the cut all the time. And Wanderlei probably will make the cut, especially if he decides to fight Jardine and losses. I feel he could be successful at that weight, and besides the LHW division has some depth at the moment and the MW division is lacking somewhat, so it's a good move for the UFC and the Axe Murder. I would love to see Franklin vs. Wanderlei, would be an awesome match.
imanidiot777
2/19/08 10:58:18AM
He said he is seriously considering it for all you people who said he's not look here.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5727&zoneid=13

That just came out today, he says if Hendo wins he would not even think twice about dropping down and working towards a rematch.
AchillesHeel
2/19/08 12:01:47PM

Posted by cj_striker

Wanderlei can make the cut to 185 if he's dedicated enough. Franklin and him both walk around at about 215, and Franklin successfully makes the cut all the time.

Yes, but Franklin is a freak; his ability to cut weight is part of what makes him a good Middleweight. He isn't a good measuring stick here. That said, it seems like most fighters find the greatest success at the lowest weight class they can make without hurting themselves, so if Wandy can cut the weight, I'd say he should go for it.

And the UFC's Middleweight division could certainly use another top-tier fighter.
Diamondback2
2/19/08 12:30:23PM

Posted by imanidiot777

He said he is seriously considering it for all you people who said he's not look here.

http://www.mmaweekly.com/absolutenm/templates/dailynews.asp?articleid=5727&zoneid=13

That just came out today, he says if Hendo wins he would not even think twice about dropping down and working towards a rematch.

well yet again silva changes his mind about this. i don't really see him dropping to middleweight unless he loses to jardine. i'm sure he wants a rematch with rampmage more than a fight with Anderson.

http://mmajunkie.com/2008/01/06/wanderlei-silva-on-ufc-79-move-to-middleweight-liddell-rematch-story-from-yahoo-sports/#comments

"“That’s way too much weight for me to lose,” Silva said. “I couldn’t do it.“

honestly i don't see him losing to Jardine so i'm sure he will stay at 205. plus like satted earlier that is alot of weight. Rich is crazy at his weight cutting so don't use that as a point of refrence.

but i guess we'll have to wait and see.

snakeman88
2/19/08 12:37:25PM
I'm not a fan of him cutting down at all. Two years ago he was the consensus #1 205'er in the world and all of a sudden he needs to drop in weight to be successful? I don't think so. I still think Wanderlei defeats a good portion of the top ten lhw's
prozacnation1978
2/19/08 12:42:44PM
i think evans and machida should drop also but i think he he decides to drop th weight he will make his decision after the march 1 fight, and if he does than the may fight shouldn't be against jardine but a middleweight say cote or marduadt before he fights for the belt in the fall
Franklinfan47
2/19/08 1:54:18PM
If Wanderlei went down it would be great for the MW division. The axe murderer would be a serious force at mw.
bullettdodger
2/19/08 3:45:55PM

Posted by prozacnation1978

i think evans and machida should drop also but i think he he decides to drop th weight he will make his decision after the march 1 fight, and if he does than the may fight shouldn't be against jardine but a middleweight say cote or marduadt before he fights for the belt in the fall

Machida ain't dropping weightclasses and i see no reason for him to, has he lost a fight at LHW yet? Besides i keep saying this, Silva and Machida are road dogs, they train together... they don't want to fight eachother, much like Filho and Silva... though i mean when it comes to friends or bread to eat, most people go for the paycheck so ya never know. I agree that Machida would be wicked at MW but hes doing fine at LHW so i see no reason to drop.
big_timmy
2/19/08 11:07:53PM
Regardless of who wins out of hendo and silva, Wandy wins, GSP loses, i want them all in the one div.

If wandy beats jardine, he is still in no reach of a title shot yet, but if he wins, then he'd be closer to one in MW if he dropped. Look what randy did, comes out of retirement to get a title shot, and in different weight class. And if GSP loses to serra, i would love to see him stack up and move to MW, though it would be hard to see him do it as his greatest strength is his cardio.

But can you imagine Wandy, GSP, Hendo, Franklin, Spida all in the one div. The fights would be unbelievable just between those guys.

But if GSP loses, and moves, and Hughes will retire soon, then it'll leave the WW's in much of a similar state to the HW's.
hippysmacker
2/20/08 6:32:36AM

Posted by snakeman88

I'm not a fan of him cutting down at all. Two years ago he was the consensus #1 205'er in the world and all of a sudden he needs to drop in weight to be successful? I don't think so. I still think Wanderlei defeats a good portion of the top ten lhw's

I beg to differ sir Most had him at # 3 or 4 after he lost to Arona, and most arguments were Wandy /Chuck( 1 or 2) before then. .Until Chuck lost to Page again, Chuck or Shogun was # 1 on every site I saw. Rankings are subjective though, so maybe you thought he was #1, but all the arguments I heard were Shogun/Chuck. Of course 2 years ago most people( me included) thought Page was mentally ruined by the Chutebox guys. then he hooks up with Juanito and looks better than i've ever seen him. Personally I always felt Randy and Chuck would beat Wandy , but lose to Shogun after the way he looked in that GP. Now who knows what to make of anything. Fighters evolve, and styles make fights, which is why sometimes rankings discussions seem pointless.
bls1919
2/20/08 7:42:03PM
I think it might be a tough cut for Wandy to make. Especially if he has never had to cut serious weight before, if he was to do it wrong he would drasticlly kill his power.
shogunassassin
2/21/08 7:21:10AM
Wanderlei looked small compared to Chuck. I think he needs to go back to Chutebox, and get back into his muaythai - less of the boxing. More kicks.
mmadb
2/21/08 1:02:25PM
UFC 90 - Silva Squared (just though that would be a cool name for a PPV)

I don't care if he cuts or not as long as he continues to fight top competition. I do think he would do well at MW though.
mmadb
2/21/08 1:03:33PM
Ah hell, let's throw Thiago in there.

UFC 90 - Silva Cubed!
sonicsmokesweed
2/24/08 3:25:16PM

Posted by ricoj3323

I think if Wanderlei Silva moves to middleweight the following will happen:

Jardine will fight lyoto if tito pulls out which I really hope he does so they can bring in vitor to knock tito out.
and I think Wanderlei Silva should fight another banger like cote or maybe a well rounded fighter like nate marquardt. Eventually he will get a couple wins under his belt and hopefully if hes still champion anderson silva and Wanderlei Silva will slug it out

The reasoning for this topic is that on mmamania.com there is a article explaining that Wanderlei Silva continues to think about the move to 185

what would you think would happen [/QU

Wanderlai Silva is a poential threat to the middleweight division and if he gets a rematch with Dan Henderson that would be a good match to see at 185. Because both Dan Henderson and Wanderlai Silva cant seal with the size advantage that the 205 pounders bring
sonicsmokesweed
2/24/08 3:26:13PM
Wanderlai Silva is a poential threat to the middleweight division and if he gets a rematch with Dan Henderson that would be a good match to see at 185. Because both Dan Henderson and Wanderlai Silva cant seal with the size advantage that the 205 pounders bring