Wanderlei Silva on UFC 79, move to middleweight, Liddell rematch

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Wanderlei Silva on UFC 79, move to middleweight, Liddell rematch
telnights
1/6/08 8:07:34PM
LAS VEGAS — Both his eyes remain blackened, a week after one of the greatest fights in UFC history. A streak of blood covers the white of one of those eyes.

Wanderlei Silva is in pain.

But it’s not the beating Chuck Liddell put on him at the Mandalay Bay Events Center exactly one week earlier that is hurting Silva on this chilly Southern Nevada Saturday night.

“Here,” Silva says, pounding his chest. “This is where it hurts.“

LINK
shawneth
1/6/08 9:02:17PM
Good article. The title you have here is alittle misleading though.
jocksmall
1/6/08 9:11:26PM
u gotta love wandy its guys like him who give all that they have that make mma the greatest competition in the world. its hard to root against that guy chuck is one of my favorites and i found myself watching the fight in awe of both of them rooting for noone. its sad one had to lose his 3rd fight in a row. i hope he bounces back
Boo_Radley21
1/6/08 9:40:04PM
He is a good guy. I thought he was conisdering dropping to MW when I read the title haha I was confused. I think he'll come back and win some fights though.
Kracker_Jap
1/6/08 10:41:49PM
I have huge respect for Wandy as a person, as a fighter

I wish all fighters could fight with his emotion
jae_1833
1/6/08 10:42:59PM
Same here, I'm glad he's staying at LHW though, there is way more guys in that Div that I want to see him fight.
EX: Forrest, Thiago, Houston, Tito, Bonnar, Rashad, Lambert, Jardine, Shogun, Soko, Machida....the list is long!!!!
telnights
1/7/08 12:56:11AM

Posted by shawneth

Good article. The title you have here is alittle misleading though.

I just got that title from MMAJunkie. It made me look twice to.
CornishMMA
1/7/08 7:01:47AM
Id much rather he move to MW tbh, so many tough fights at 205 and it just doesnt make sense, after 3 straight losses it would be like a new life at 185

Dunno who they can match Wandy up with at 205 to be sure of a win???
Leland
1/7/08 9:20:33AM
Wandy is the man. Gotta love the heart he has when he fights. You can tell he pushes it. I noticed Liddell was killing him with his reach and was hoping he could get in for a clinch. The reach was his downfall in my opinion. Cant wait to watch wandy again!!
GlancyMMA
1/7/08 9:42:23AM
I can see the point that Chucks reach really did help him in this match.

However, I have the feeling those 2 "point grabbing" takedown in the third where what really beat Silva.

I was kinda disappointed in Chuck for that.... Both of these guys have promised knockouts for 6 years.... Wanderlei swung for the fences the ENTIRE fight....

Chuck kinda cheaped out in the third round...

I have huge respect for both of these guys but Wanderlei kept true to his fans and tried for the knockout the entire fight.... he wasn't just in this for a Win (althought he desperately needed it), he owed his fans a knockout and went for it wholehearted.... This wasn;t about his W/L record and his career it was about rewarding all of his loyal fans.....

This guy is a picture of class....
wolfman
1/7/08 7:00:56PM

Posted by GlancyMMA

I can see the point that Chucks reach really did help him in this match.

However, I have the feeling those 2 "point grabbing" takedown in the third where what really beat Silva.

I was kinda disappointed in Chuck for that.... Both of these guys have promised knockouts for 6 years.... Wanderlei swung for the fences the ENTIRE fight....

Chuck kinda cheaped out in the third round...

I have huge respect for both of these guys but Wanderlei kept true to his fans and tried for the knockout the entire fight.... he wasn't just in this for a Win (althought he desperately needed it), he owed his fans a knockout and went for it wholehearted.... This wasn;t about his W/L record and his career it was about rewarding all of his loyal fans.....

This guy is a picture of class....

I have to agree and disagree here, I am a fan of both fighters and they gave us a great fight. Yet, I wished that Chuck would have kept the fight standing the whole time. In the third round he was being safe, yet I wished he would have gotten the KO he promised. However, this is just me being selfish as a fan. He, like Wandy was coming off two losses and needed this win badly and I can understand why he went in for the takedowns. Losing by a KO in the third round would have been terrible for him and I understand what he had to do to win. They both fought hard and delivered. I am a greedy fan who wanted to see a KO, yet I am pleased with the end result. Anyways, Chuck fought smart and I understand the takedowns, yet I hope he doesn't look at the clock again when he is fighting. That ticked me off (it was smart on his part, but I didn't like that he kept looking at the clock) . Now all I need is to see Cro Cop kicking ass again and I'll be a happy man!

EDIT: GlancyMMA: The two takedowns did not give Liddell the win. He controlled rounds 1 and 3 and would have won even without the takedowns imo. Also, I agree with the two judges giving all three rounds to Liddell. Yet, I can see why people gave the second round to Wandy. It is always best to end the round on top and Liddell did just that in the second round and that swung the momentum back in his favor. That I why I think two of the three judges gave Liddell all three rounds. Anyways, good post