Wanderlei Silva discusses facial surgery

MMAPlayground.com » Community » MMA News Share Forum » Wanderlei Silva discusses facial surgery
BrutalKnockOut
9/5/09 11:37:45AM
Wanderlei Silva discusses facial surgery

Wanderlei Silva checks in with his fans via his video blog, and extensively discusses his facial surgery, as well as new tattoos, and more. For those not wanting to watch the whole video, the surgery was the first thing he talks about.
Jackelope
9/5/09 12:52:34PM
Just based on the way he talked I had wondered if Wand didn't suffer from serious sleep apnea. This affects every part of your life. Glad to know he's gotten that somewhat taken care of. As much as we poke fun at him for looking goofy now he's still the man in every way possible, and besides- it looks like the swelling has gone down a bit and he's starting to return to "normal" again
Hendo67
9/5/09 1:48:39PM
I like how his new tattoo is in english, i'm not sure about all of his others...but i found that cool.
Man, this guy is one of my hero's, he seems like one of those guys who you can be like "Hey Wand, come over to my house for dinner" and he will actually come, he will do anything for his fans, and i respect that so much.,
RearNakedJoke
9/5/09 10:22:56PM
must have been alot of scar tissue for his brow tolook so much smaller. he does look strange, but if it improves his fighting good for him! looks like hes got some pretty heft scars on his brow from the surgery. guess he'll be out for awhile longer.

anyone know how much that sort of nose surgery costs? i saw some video blogs joe rogans done recently about correcting his deviated septum and the more im hearing about it im starting to consider having it done myself.

Mayo
9/7/09 11:15:29PM

Posted by RearNakedJoke

anyone know how much that sort of nose surgery costs? i saw some video blogs joe rogans done recently about correcting his deviated septum and the more im hearing about it im starting to consider having it done myself.

I worked in Healthcare IT for many years and developed friendships with some rhinoplasty surgeons (nose job doctors).....

In general you can get two kinds of nose surgery - "open surgery" and "closed surgery".

"closed surgery" - is usually entirely covered by your insurance (it was for me when I had it done) so it is free. However it is not as effective as "open" surgery because they don't fix your deviated septum (nasal bone/cartilage that runs the length of your nose), instead they just permanently implant support "struts" inside each nostril so that your nostrils do not collapse when you breathe in. You can look at yourself in the mirror and breathe in deeply and see if the sides of your nose are collapsing when doing so (in which case you could benefit from this surgery). With this surgery you recover 100% and can go back to work in exactly one week. However I feel like my breathing is only 50% better from getting "closed surgery". I really should have done "open surgery".

"open surgery" - costs on average $10,000 US. They basically snip your nose at the tip where the two nostrils meet and then peel your nose back (inside out) and then they totally mess with all of your cartilage to straighten it out. You then wear a cast on your nose (like if you broke your arm) for at least a week and then for the next several weeks you need to be very careful and don't exercise too hard or accidentally bump your nose etc. But this results in pretty much 100% improvement in breathing since sometimes they also throw in those support struts for your nostrils as well.

Warning don't go to just any rhinoplasty surgeon. And don't try to save money by going to a cheap one. A significant number of people end up needing a revision (redo the surgery) because the first doctor was a quack and did a crappy job. The best rhinoplasty surgeons have completed a 5 year residency in Otolaryngology and have completed a 1 year fellowship (specialization) in Rhinoplasty.